Airfix Lanc - R5570 - EM-F 207 Sqn (Finished)

woody37

Last update for today. Doors on and masks off! Those bomb bay doors are Tourette's inducing to fit!

Had some issues with the matt coat. Its the Mig Lucky matt varnish. It goes on lovely but comes off just as easy. The slightest moisture brings it off so I'm going to go over it with some Alclad stuff tomorrow. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 18

Got to agree with Chris, that’s truly beautiful Neil and one for the top shelf of the modelling cabinet. I’m still quite fond of Tamiya’s Acrylic clears for my final coats, two or three thin applications and they do the job quite well IMO
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Got a bit done on the Lanc this afternoon after doping some peacekeeping initiatives in the garden! The exhaust stains are on. One wing went well, the other suffered from some paint splatter when putting the buff oover the darker areas so I ended up chasing my tail a bit correcting everything but it's largely there now. The airbrushing was aided with some soft pastel being brushed in to highlight some areas. Hopefully we should get the turrets on tomorrow and it's done. I may use a Revell mid upper, the thick framing on the airfix clear parts is over the top but need to see how a spare fits before proceeding.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

A lovely finish but I do believe that the dinghy storage should be further down to the left nearer the wing root  . . . .

I think you're right mate, but it's well and truly stuck down now unfortunately. Managed to get the turrets finished earlier following a fight with them!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

:wow:

Actually, I'm out of better words to describe your build! It's exemplary, inspirational and a benchmark for us common builders to look at. Thank you for joining this group build and sharing us the experience! V-P

• Like 2

Another brilliant Lancaster, Neil! I can see two of my semi-permanently stalled Lanc-family models from where I'm typing this - the Manchester and the Lancaster GR.3. Someday...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

Everything's been said about this build that could be said, makes me want to get on with mine (B.I/III and Dambuster versions) but got two Halifaxs' to do first.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 1

Up to your usual impeccable standard, Neil. She’s a beaut! 

Nice to see the early grey codes - makes a nice change from the usual red. 

Tom

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Very nice mate! I'm building my first two Lancasters for the GB. What method did you use for the variation in the black paint? 

Hi Dave,

I painted a standard covering of Tamiya rubber black over some black primer first. Then used a bit of Tamiya masking tape and went across each panel line and some rivet lines with a slightly lighter shade of rubber black (few drops of white added) to give a sharp edged contrast that gives an effect of the light reflecting off the panel. This was done horizontally and vertically so that the front and upper edges are lighter. I also reinforced the effect using pastels afterwards as the effect wasn't as pronounced under the clear coat. It's time consuming but still only took about  four hours to paint the whole aircraft. 

11 hours ago, Learstang said:

Another brilliant Lancaster, Neil! I can see two of my semi-permanently stalled Lanc-family models from where I'm typing this - the Manchester and the Lancaster GR.3. Someday...

Best Regards,

Jason

Ha ha, you need to stop writing books and get them ruddy Avro's finished Jason 😂

8 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Everything's been said about this build that could be said, makes me want to get on with mine (B.I/III and Dambuster versions) but got two Halifaxs' to do first.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Love to see your Halifax's Davey, are the in the WIP section?

8 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Up to your usual impeccable standard, Neil. She’s a beaut! 

Nice to see the early grey codes - makes a nice change from the usual red. 

Tom

Thanks Tom, I noticed you've made some progress on your Shackleton. Hope you're safe & well?

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’d give away certain body parts to be able to model like that! That’s just God’s work. Bravo big time! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Lol, you're already doing it from what I've seen with your Hase Lanc mate, looking forwards to seeing more progress :)

49 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Hi Dave,

Love to see your Halifax's Davey, are the in the WIP section?

I started one a few years ago before joining this forum and only got as far as filling in some side windows, adding a couple of others, and I think assembled a couple of cockpit bits! I got it as a Xmas present and got an AML set cheap on the 'Bay which has the new wheels, radiators and props and 2 schemes for a MkII and a B. MkII/Ia, I also got the camo mask set which will make the squiggily demarcation along the top of the fuselage easier!  The other one is to do a Western Desert machine from an Xtradecal set, and has the AML bits as well. Will both be done soon (famous last words!)

Sorry for the long incursion into your thread!

Davey.

• Like 1

Well, if it makes any difference Neil, the book I'm currently finishing up is on a Lancaster Family aircraft, the Shackleton. In fact, from where I'm sitting now, I can see two built, but unpainted Shackleton models, the Airfix MR.2 (nice kit!), and the Revell new-mould MR.3 (nice kit!). They'll look great next to my semi-built, nearly-finished Lancasters and Manchester. What I'd well and truly love to see someone come out with (other than a Shackleton MR.1 - are you listening Airfix?!), is a proper post-war Lancaster, with the appropriate intakes and other bits, and especially with only the fuselage windows that were used post-war. Where I've stalled on my GR.3 is filling in the unused windows. If only those windows were already filled in on the kit, I could use another excuse for not finishing this model.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2020 at 6:52 PM, DaveyGair said:

I started one a few years ago before joining this forum and only got as far as filling in some side windows, adding a couple of others, and I think assembled a couple of cockpit bits! I got it as a Xmas present and got an AML set cheap on the 'Bay which has the new wheels, radiators and props and 2 schemes for a MkII and a B. MkII/Ia, I also got the camo mask set which will make the squiggily demarcation along the top of the fuselage easier!  The other one is to do a Western Desert machine from an Xtradecal set, and has the AML bits as well. Will both be done soon (famous last words!)

Sorry for the long incursion into your thread!

Davey.

No apology needed Davey. When you get back to them , can you post some pics of the AML set? I’ve only seen photos of the box, not the actual parts. I’ve got an aeroclub set left but can’t see us getting anymore of them now that John has retired. I like the desert schemes, so looking forwards to seeing it :)

On 4/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, Learstang said:

Well, if it makes any difference Neil, the book I'm currently finishing up is on a Lancaster Family aircraft, the Shackleton. In fact, from where I'm sitting now, I can see two built, but unpainted Shackleton models, the Airfix MR.2 (nice kit!), and the Revell new-mould MR.3 (nice kit!). They'll look great next to my semi-built, nearly-finished Lancasters and Manchester. What I'd well and truly love to see someone come out with (other than a Shackleton MR.1 - are you listening Airfix?!), is a proper post-war Lancaster, with the appropriate intakes and other bits, and especially with only the fuselage windows that were used post-war. Where I've stalled on my GR.3 is filling in the unused windows. If only those windows were already filled in on the kit, I could use another excuse for not finishing this model.

Best Regards,

Jason

There is a Mk.i conversion Jason, Allicat I think as I’ve got it in the aftermarket stash. I’ve started to use P38 car filler now for filling windows as there’s zero shrinkage. It’s messy so better to mask the area off, but at least you don’t come back the next day to find an indent that wasn’t there yesterday! Look forwards to seeing your books. Where’s the other one up to? 

8 hours ago, Peter Lloyd said:

Another stunning bomber Neil, and you make it seem so easy. Please consider my hat well and truly doffed.

Thanks Pete, I tend to photo finished progress rather than warts n all, so don’t be deceived, the chaos that ensues behind the scenes is no less than any other workbench. Cut fingers, glued fingers, overflowing swear box are all part of a normal days modelling 😂😂

cheers