Airfix Lanc - R5570 - EM-F 207 Sqn (Finished)

woody37

Needing a break from the FM Halifax, I couldn't resist joining in here if I'm allowed? In fact I've got stuck in to the build this afternoon once I got the weekend chores out of the way and obtained a pass out from the boss!

Since getting back in to the hobby in 2009, I've built 4 Manchesters and 2 Lincolns, but only one Lancaster so another is over due!

I've narrowed it down to 4 options so far so need to narrow that down further over the weekend but it won't stop me from cracking on.

I'll get some photo's tomorrow but I've started by filling the panel lines with Tippex to tone them down a bit. It's nice doing something largely OOB for once, therapeutic!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 4

So, I've decided on the scheme, it will be a very early Lanc with 207 Sqn that went missing on a mission to Turin on the 9th December 1942. The early Lancs appeared to have a light interior in the bomb aimers area so I'm doing it all cockpit green as an assumption although this area later one was painted black. 

spacer.png

Work had already started on it last week but I've only just managed to get some photo's done. The interior will have a bit of pre-painted etch and small amount of scratch building but it's largely going to be OOB for sanity. For simplicity, I cut the wing spars so that the wings could be assembled and painted separately

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The decals were available so it would of been rude not to get them :)

spacer.png

Hopefully I'll get a bit more progress this weekend.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 18

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

There were some Lancs that were technically I/III's because they had a mix of Roll-Royce and Packard Merlins.

Chris

That’s interesting to know. I guess as long as the connecting elements fitted then there was no issue although I believe they were manufactured in metric measures rather than imperial.

Nice choice of scheme and great progress so far Neil. You’ve got plenty of Avro model form so we cannot wait to see the final result. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice choice of scheme and great progress so far Neil. You’ve got plenty of Avro model form so we cannot wait to see the final result. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Not many Lancasters though Dave so enjoying this :)

Interior is pretty much done now. I'll add a bit of detail in to the bomb aimers area before the blister goes on but not far off closing her up now. I haven't gone mad with detail, just used the Eduard pre-painted set and scratch built a few other bits so that it doesn't look bare through the canopy. Looks like there's a hair on the lens!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Good work so far and nice to see an early Lanc. Wish my York was going as quickly

I think my starting point is a little easier 😂

The CMR York was a lovely kit, I wish I got one when they were in production, I suspect it would of been a much easier route and more accurate finish too. Looking forwards to seeing how you progress with it :)

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

I think my starting point is a little easier 😂

The CMR York was a lovely kit, I wish I got one when they were in production, I suspect it would of been a much easier route and more accurate finish too. Looking forwards to seeing how you progress with it :)

I think you are right. I would have liked the CMR kit, but out of my price range at the time. Shame the Micro Mir one has been so slow. When it is finished I am sure I will have a sense of achievement. 😁

• Like 2

Managed to get the fuselage stitched up over the weekend and the windows masked (except front which need a bit of cleaning up), riveted and primed. Tail feathers next :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wings need to be riveted yet. I've done the inboard port wing as a trial so the rest will get done hopefully be the weekend. The carb intakes have been replaced with the Quickboost set which are far more refined.

spacer.png

• Like 14

22 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Neil

Take the windshield spray jets off and space them wider  . . . ,.

seems post-war Lancasters had them as close as you have modelled them 

great so far 

Ian

Thanks Ian, will do. Solves a problem too as it’s a little untidy around there :)

Had a few issues with the join line at the rear end so had to do some fixing earlier

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Its the seam on the top of the fuselage that needs attention I know but I'm sure you can cope 🤣

Touch wood, it’s deatl with. I’ll be painting the windows in the escape hatches rather than fitting clear parts. Not sure why Airfix decided not to have clear hatches like Revell did with theirs.

Small update. The riveting is pretty much done, just need to get some primer over the nose to check for blemishes before moving on to the paint. I wasn't going for strict accuracy on the rivets, just enough to give a typical look that will come through with a wash and weathering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20

I do say Neil, you’ve certainly mastered the use of that riveting tool... looks great! She really is coming along nicely and an early serialed Lanc will be great to see here. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Did you not paint under the rear end of the cockpit canopy before sticking it on the fuselage? That area should be Dark Green camouflage colour.

49670261742_7962afcd44_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1