Lynette Bishop's Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX

Sturmovik

Hello guys, I made significant progress today.

Painted the cockpit parts on their sprue.

QzDUPC1.jpg

Built up the wings:

S0cmYs4.jpg

Cockpit:

a2M6QTa.jpg

I discovered when I tried to glue the fuselage halves with all the cockpit pieces in place, that the cockpit bulkhead and IP wouldn't let me close the fuselage, so these were left out.

oVPZoCz.jpg

The wing to fuselage join had gaps. My solution, use a spreader bar under the cockpit.

tXihHlE.jpg

Here' the aircraft patially painted, more paint will be applied tomorrow.

61IYtpq.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I made significant progress today.

You're not wrong there @Sturmovik.!

Some would still be putting dots of dials on the instrument panel at this stage 😎

I have no idea who Lynette Bishop is or what she is doing with a MkIX, but I expect I'm about to find out 👍

• Haha 1

hi Sturmovik ,

you don't have a file in your Toolbox ?.......... to trim the Cockpit Assembly.

But your Spitfire build  idea is great ......should be more  Comical's

You would be up against it tryin' to build the "New " Mould  1/72 AIRFIX B-25 Mk. II

..... and the Instructione' don't help !

cheery "Modellin ' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

you don't have a file in your Toolbox ?.......... to trim the Cockpit Assembly.

Nice work @Sturmovik I hope you do a 1/72 scale Lynette too!

I think the idea of trimmimg the cockpit assemblt is usually wrong for Spifires. I have built many and its usually the curvature of the fuselage that means there is a gap at the wingroot so your spreader bar is quire correct. Perhaps the guy never built a Spitfire?

• Like 1

hi Tom R ,

I am an Aircraft Fitter from way back so I know about Aircraft Structure.

......... and of how to model to achieve the " look  " of some Aircraft .

Thats true Modellin' !

mumbatatshunzz !

Geoff

Your English is a little hard to follow and maybe it's a language problem, but it seems you do not understand at all what I mean...... this might help?

https://www.airfix.com/_assets/files/Issue-3_Singles.pdf

With the cockpit complete, the fuselage halves can be joined together. A test fit of the wing to fuselage join showed some slight gaps because the thinness of the fuselage halves makes the nose bow in a little more than it should. This can be simply solved by adding a spacer made from the kit sprue to push the fuselage halves out a little more so that they fit snugly with the wing roots. 5 Once you are happy with the fit the wings can be added.

More references which will show you how to do the spacer.

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/korean/fr46.htm

http://hyperscale.com/2007/features/spitfireiaws_1.htm

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/67652.aspx

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/done-gb-42-1-48-spitfire-mk-vb-mto-ii.51170/page-6

Mods or @Sturmovik- if you think thi is overkill and not appropriate in this thread. please remove it. I am just trying to help the poor fellow and will not go further

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

Nice to see something different. Does the figure need assembly? I never did an "anime" kit.  

Yes, the figure is made in resin and needs to be glued together.

7 hours ago, Tom R said:

I hope you do a 1/72 scale Lynette too!

The kit comes with a 1:20 Lynette resin figure, but I won't do it since I'm not that good at painting figures.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Yes, the figure is made in resin and needs to be glued together.

The kit comes with a 1:20 Lynette resin figure, but I won't do it since I'm not that good at painting figures.

Sorry to hear that as I was rather looking forward to seeing the figure :( 

Hello guys, more progress: Decals on! The white fuselage band broke, but I was able to repair it.

The decals were rather sticky, second time this happens with Hasegawa.

RDIDn5p.jpg

tsVGMRi.jpg

Z2XKoVJ.jpg

gl694nz.jpg

8uNU6Jj.jpg

VjG4IiQ.jpg

HnLXFBT.jpg

• Like 2

I hated this when I first saw it; Anime, Strike Witches, teapots on rudders. What IS that all about?! But, actually, this is turning into a really nice build. The fuselage band has been very well rescued; the finish is impressive; and that red and white spinner; good job. VERY good job!

Are you air or paint brushing?

And I really think you should have a go at the figure; I'm sure your "not that good at painting figures" will teach me a thing or 4...

...go on. Do it!

27 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

I hated this when I first saw it; Anime, Strike Witches, teapots on rudders. What IS that all about?! But, actually, this is turning into a really nice build. The fuselage band has been very well rescued; the finish is impressive; and that red and white spinner; good job. VERY good job!

Are you air or paint brushing?

And I really think you should have a go at the figure; I'm sure your "not that good at painting figures" will teach me a thing or 4...

...go on. Do it!

Thanks! I'm brushpainting.

You should give it a try at watching this anime, it's pretty darn interesting, with the third season coming out this year?

I'll try doing the figure sometime, maybe when I buy a flesh colour.

Edited by Sturmovik

"Erica Hartmann" :lol:

If you ever think of selling the figures please let me know as they look like a fun different project.