Rhodesian Vampire questions

Luka

So, I have the very promising looking Vampire Mk. 3 from Revell (rebox of the Special Hobby kit) that I want to build as a Rhodesian plane with the Bush War camo pattern.
My questions;

- Do I need to convert some areas to get the correct type? I know very little of the external differences between Vampires..
- What are the best colour matches? I myself mostly use Vallejo or Revell paints. I don't know if standard Dark Earth/Dark Green are the correct colours. In some pictures the DE seems yellowish, in others it seems more reddish.

Thanks in advance,
Luka

Off the top of my head the single-seat Vampires in the Rhodesian Air Force were FB.9s, so would have the square-cut wingtips and the longer intake fairing on the starboard side.  Both are supplied in the SH kit.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:42 PM, DNF72000 said:

As a subscriber and someone with this kit in my stash and intending to build it soon in Rhodesian colours, I would love to see the build of this up on your channel!

Thanks for the support!
Although that sounds like a great idea I have made a big mistake; I have built the plane already, but without taking any pictures of the process.. I know, not smart..
I will however present it soon, albeit in a somewhat different format (with post-build commentary). 

Gents, there is a lady in Victoria, Australia that has a hanger with a stack of the real ones in it in their original Rhodesian colours. If you contact her at Tyabb Airport in Victoria, I'm sure she would help. I may have some photos from my visit there years ago that may have a few photos of one of them on display. I'll look tomorrow.

Phil

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 8:02 PM, Luka said:

Thanks for the support!
Although that sounds like a great idea I have made a big mistake; I have built the plane already, but without taking any pictures of the process.. I know, not smart..
I will however present it soon, albeit in a somewhat different format (with post-build commentary). 

You're welcome! Don't worry about it, will be interesting to see regardless!

• 11 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 7:38 PM, draggie748 said:

Gents, there is a lady in Victoria, Australia that has a hanger with a stack of the real ones in it in their original Rhodesian colours. If you contact her at Tyabb Airport in Victoria, I'm sure she would help. I may have some photos from my visit there years ago that may have a few photos of one of them on display. I'll look tomorrow.

Phil

Judy Pay is her name.