RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72 vac

Brandy

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I no longer have a job.

Ian I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope that you can work something out - obviously that has to be your priority now. Best wishes for your endeavours. Your BM crew are standing by!

Regards,

Adrian

Hello Ian,

Sorry to hear about this, sad new.

I send you my best wishes to find something good for you soon !!

I'm on your side, like the other BMers !

Are you back in UK or still in the middle east ?

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 3:29 PM, Martian said:

Looking good Ian but did you really have taunt us with the pubs being open bit?

Dehydrated of Mars 👽

I don't know why... I think of you when I see this one ...

101705183_1461080870742846_4834707271923531776_n

Hydrated CC

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Are you back in UK or still in the middle east ?

Still in Abu Dhabi. 

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, it's very much appreciated.

I have 4 months paid and do not have to leave before that time is up. Having spoken to management I'm hopeful that once things open up again I will get a freelance contract so I'm going to chill out for a month or two and see what happens!

Ian

• Like 11

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I don't know why... I think of you when I see this one ...

101705183_1461080870742846_4834707271923531776_n

Hydrated CC

Strange as it may seem, I got on really well with my Mother in Law. Possibly because she was always one of the first to join the stampede to the pub!

Still dehydrated of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Still in Abu Dhabi. 

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, it's very much appreciated.

I have 4 months paid and do not have to leave before that time is up. Having spoken to management I'm hopeful that once things open up again I will get a freelance contract so I'm going to chill out for a month or two and see what happens!

Ian

Fingers crossed for you Ian !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear about the job loss Ian. Very much the state of the world at the moment. At least you have some breathing space I guess. I hope thing work out for you and remember we are all here rooting for you! Good luck and take much care.

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks again to all who have expressed their support, it really is appreciated. Needless to say my mojo has been a little low of late, but I have been tinkering now and again. I started on the rigging and one of the inner struts broke, so I had to make and paint a replacement. 

49988254573_e39fef3533_z.jpg

When I went to fit it, I had to redrill the holes as they were clogged with CA. Whilst doing the upper wing, I broke off the extension I'd added to the trailing edge.

49988254623_b82705938c_z.jpg

Both strut and trailing edge have been reattached so hopefully tomorrow i can continue with the rigging.

On a happier note, I have been offered a freelance contract so may not have to leave, which would be huge as I have nowhere to go, my house in the US being rented out! I'll know better what is in store when I get to see the contract....

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

• Like 10

Sorry to hear of your strut/rigging problems, I'm sure you'll soon have that sorted!

Glad to hear there is a chance of work, I hope everything works out for you.

Stay safe             Roger

• Like 1

You have overcome worse problems than a broken strut and trailing edge in the past Ian - hopefully you will have better luck tomorrow. Better news on the job front - I hope that the contract does not have any unpleasant surprises in it.

P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Shame about the breakages Ian, but I've no doubt they'll soon be overcome!

Hope the contract offer turns out to be a good one.

Seconded!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 10:09 PM, Marklo said:

Great progress. The world of scratchbuilding always seems to be three steps towards two steps backwards, but I find, the end result is always worth it. 

I totally agree, thanks Mark!

On 6/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, Hamden said:

Sorry to hear of your strut/rigging problems, I'm sure you'll soon have that sorted!

Glad to hear there is a chance of work, I hope everything works out for you.

Stay safe             Roger

Thanks Roger. Strut and rigging problems are nothing new. Usually sorted ok, just the amount of effort involved that varies!

On 6/9/2020 at 10:56 PM, keefr22 said:

Shame about the breakages Ian, but I've no doubt they'll soon be overcome!

Hope the contract offer turns out to be a good one.

Keith

All sorted now thanks Keith. Still waiting to see the contract...

On 6/10/2020 at 2:03 AM, pheonix said:

You have overcome worse problems than a broken strut and trailing edge in the past Ian - hopefully you will have better luck tomorrow. Better news on the job front - I hope that the contract does not have any unpleasant surprises in it.

P

Indeed! Thanks P.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:08 AM, CedB said:

Seconded!

Ditto!

On 6/10/2020 at 2:27 AM, Jonners said:

Having to fix breakages isn't usually a way to restore lost mojo! Worth doing though, as it's looking great.

PM sent, by the way.

Jon

It needed to be done though, and much better for it!

Thanks Jon.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:23 AM, AdrianMF said:

Hope the repairs to the aeroplane and the employment situation both go well!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Aeroplane sorted, contract still a work in progress....

If any of you haven't seen my posts on other threads, yes, I've changed my user name. I was never really happy with the slightly corny Limeypilot, so decided to go with my long-time nickname. Since my last name is Brand, my friends have called me Brandy for as long as I can remember. OK, so not very much thought involved, but we don't get to choose our nicknames!

Having fixed the strut and broken wing addition, I started a few days ago on the rigging. As I mentioned before, the main thing here is to think ahead and plan it out. There will often be more than one wire needing to be threaded through one hole. 

I started with the stagger wires. (the wires running fore - aft between the struts)

50054284493_cd3e9ee7b7_z.jpg

50054862396_9344ce2f4e_z.jpg

You will notice there are a couple of wires taped to the wing surface. As I mentioned above - more than one wire using the same hole! These are the long bracing wires that will run from the outer struts, across the booms, to the tail. They had to be added now or i would need to drill more holes!

Then on to the flying wires.

I fixed all 8 of them on the inboard bays, then realised I'd forgotten to add the drag wires! (Refer to above comments!). Fortunately I was able to pull the foremost of the 2 rear wires loose, redrill the holes, add the drag wires to the holes in the fuselage, then re-thread both the drag wires and flying wires through the same holes. Saved!

50054862201_8ee0d850ec_z.jpg

50054862006_1fd5bd176b_z.jpg

Finally today I finished securing the flying wires and all associated ones too!

50054862381_6313d1a392_z.jpg

50054862466_3d1203d359_z.jpg

Next up, the landing wires!

Ian

• Like 14

16 hours ago, RichieW said:

Great to see you back at the bench and working on this little gem. That rigging is amazingly fine in so many ways! 👏

Thanks Richie, much appreciated!

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Two bays and a boom. That should keep you busy for a while!

Regards,

Adrian

There's a song in there somewhere, or am I thinking of Basil Brush? Bays done, see below!

11 hours ago, pheonix said:

Good planning on the rigging Ian (well almost!). Double wires in this scale are not easy but you seem to have cracked them - well done!

P

Thanks P!

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Excellent rigging Ian - great job :) 

Cheers Ced, much appreciated!

I mentioned in the previous post about planning ahead and using one hole for ore than one wire. Another reason for planning, and constant checking, is to ensure that the wires don't foul each other. For instance, it's never possible in this scale to get holes perfectly aligned, so with the flying wires fitted I needed to make sure that the landing wires didn't pull them crooked when they were tightened. Dry runs are essential. For most of the landing wires it worked perfectly and the wire runs between the two flying wires without fouling. A couple had to be run behind the flying wires or they would have been pulled apart by the landing wire. The same applied when doing the drag lines yesterday, ensuring a straight run (does it go over or under the crossing wire?) is essential. 

Of course before any of the threading can begin, the holes also need planning. I try to make the fewest number possible, both to aid cleanup, and also because there's not much room! I prefer to drill blind holes in the lower wing, but sometimes that isn't possible. eg for the lower drag wires, they are fixed into the fuselage sides so the only way to tighten them is by pulling them through the wing. The other reason I have so many holes going through on this is simply that the wings are very thin - they weren't intended to go through! Work out in advance which end of each wire will be fixed first and which end/hole needs to be a through hole and/or a shared hole. Sometimes a through hole helps as it enables one wire to be run for two purposes. eg on my Sopwith Tabloid build, the landing gear bracing wires ran through the skids, became drag wires to the lower wing, then ran up through the lower wings and became landing wires too!

31618540800_d48cf11377_z.jpg

If anyone wants further explanation please shout, I'll be happy to go into more detail

What that all means is that all the wires are now attached, taut, and secured!

50057962932_4c8e31090a_z.jpg

50057146973_fcfcf21d12_z.jpg

50057962852_4a9f5aec9d_z.jpg

50057962767_abd7fd8a56_z.jpg

Next job then is to tidy up all the ends and repair the wing surfaces.

Ian

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1