RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72 vac

Brandy

Actually, it doesn't!

The upper wing is a couple of mm too high. I'm leaving it until tomorrow before I decide whether to pull it off and start again. I want it right, but I don't want to leave brass pins CAd into the wing and have to try to get them out!

Ian

• Sad 2

On 5/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, AdrianMF said:

Doesn't seem to stack up very well against the plans...

Little did you know how accurate your comment was! :lalala:

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Ian :) 

Thanks Ced!

24 minutes ago, Marklo said:

You can buy CA remover from Loctite I bought a bottle off eBay. Haven’t used it yet mind.

Thanks Mark, I didn't need it as I'd used Gators Grip and only a very tiny amount, see below!

I know exactly where the error came in. The Datafile gives the "gap" as 4'6". Oh goody, I thought, now I can get it exact! So I measured everything to give me a gap of 19mm between the wings. Without reference to the plans. Or measuring the distance between nacelle top and upper wing. One simple check would have showed that I was doing it wrong! I think the "gap" referred to is between the lower (or upper) edges of the spars, not the physical gap between the wings!

I did decide that accuracy had to come first (you didn't really doubt that though, did you!) and removed the upper wing this morning. By the way, 2mm is 50% of the correct gap between the top of the cockpit nacelle and the bottom of the upper wing, just to give an idea of how large the error was!

Holding each strut as close as possible to the join I popped them out one by one with no problems. If anything it highlights just how fragile these models are, and how much strength the rigging adds! Only one of the pins came off in the hole (the rear cabane, which I had CAd on when it came off) and since that hole goes right through I was able to push it through with a piece of brass rod.

Part 1 complete: wing removed.

49938408416_e6ef5285b7_z.jpg

To shorten the cabane struts (which I left in place on the nacelle) I clamped a steel rule in my desk vice, which, by the way, arrived last Friday. I'd forgotten I'd even ordered it as it was ordered on Feb 28th! The cabane strut was rested against the rule to support it and I gently removed 2mm with a micro saw. I did take a pic showing the difference, but my camera ate it. Sorry!

49938711922_3cf95a5283_z.jpg

That is now correct!

Here's 2mm chopped of the ends of each strut.

49937895353_1a9317a208_z.jpg

I had to do each one individually as the pins are slightly different lengths so I couldn't just put the end of one pin against a reference and chop it.

As of writing, the struts have all had new pins added and are nearly done with touching up the paint. The next session should see the wing re-attached.

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

• Like 12

I do admire modellers like yourself - and many others on here - Ian, who do not suffer from the 's*d it, it'll do, no-one will notice' affliction that I caught many years ago!

Very neat and intricate work - again...!

Keith

• Like 1

Still following.  Those old “boomers” have a tremendous amount of appeal but the rigging would probably defeat me.

Dennis

• Like 1

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I do admire modellers like yourself - and many others on here - Ian, who do not suffer from the 's*d it, it'll do, no-one will notice' affliction that I caught many years ago!

Very neat and intricate work - again...!

Keith

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Still following.  Those old “boomers” have a tremendous amount of appeal but the rigging would probably defeat me.

Dennis

I must admit, it is the old "boomers" that really got me back into WWI aircraft modelling. They're unique to that war and have so much character, if an aircraft can have "character"!

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Your wood effects always look so damn convincing Ian. :worthy:

Many thanks Tony, praise indeed! Shame I had to chop some of it off!

22 hours ago, pheonix said:

I agree with Adrian. Having converted one of these from an Airfix Avro 504 I think that I know something of the problems involved in getting the distance correct.

P

In this case the "problem" of getting the distance right was entirely self-induced!

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I admire your determination to get it dead on. I’m glad it seems to have gone quite smoothly (touching wood frantically!)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian! So far, so good....

No progress today, nor likely tomorrow due to long work days, but still on track for wing fitting next session.

Ian

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I must admit, it is the old "boomers" that really got me back into WWI aircraft modelling. They're unique to that war and have so much character, if an aircraft can have "character"!

Some would argue that they are the only aircraft to have character.......

P

• Like 2

Welcome back folks! 

As promised, the upper wing has now been reattached, with the correct gap. (At least if it isn't correct, it's now a small enough error not to notice!)

49951933812_649c74b885_z.jpg

49951643966_2dd67f8a87_z.jpg

49951934107_f838960c76_z.jpg

49951643871_8f7700942a_z.jpg

Much better!

And a quick comparison:

49951934042_53f113cff4_z.jpg

49933457678_6912856b24_z.jpg

That was definitely worth the effort.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to start on the rigging tomorrow!

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe! 

Pubs now open here, albeit with restrictions, so a beer is in order!

Ian

• Like 15

Looking good Ian but did you really have taunt us with the pubs being open bit?

Dehydrated of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

Well worth the effort with the wing gap.

Nice to hear your pubs are now reopening hopefully UK one's will follow soon!

Stay safe                 Roger

• Like 2

Excellent sir... I would've been ecstatic just getting the wing right the first time. I am happy to watch you do the great work on this, this kind of work is beyond me and my ten magic thumbs. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

Hi Ian,

I'm really glad that you bit the bullet so to speak on this one. I have been in the same position before. Once I said I'll leave well enough alone and regretted it for ever. It doesn't make any difference if no one else notices it, you know it there and it does haunt you every time you look at it.

So well done I delighted that you re did the struts.  

Cheers

Joe M

• Like 1

I was going to make a start on the rigging yesterday but I got a call from HR. I no longer have a job. That kind of sapped the mojo a tad. I have 4 months to figure out where I'm going to go and try to find something that will pay the bills. Hopefully I'll find something here, but who knows.

Another move looking likely. Oh well....

Ian

• Sad 14

Considering the ongoing Covid-19 situation, and your line of work, this news probably doesn’t come as much of a shock to either of us. It’s still a body blow, though.

All I can do is send my best wishes to you, with the possibly vain hope you’ll still find some time to continue a little modelling. I’ve found our hobby to be a great help to me over the past few months while I’ve been dealing with personal issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I no longer have a job.

Sorry to hear that. I got made redundant in February and it was a shock,  but what with my health and the lockdown it may have been a blessing on disguise.

Hope things work out when the new normal arises (whenever that will be)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I was going to make a start on the rigging yesterday but I got a call from HR. I no longer have a job. That kind of sapped the mojo a tad. I have 4 months to figure out where I'm going to go and try to find something that will pay the bills. Hopefully I'll find something here, but who knows.

Another move looking likely. Oh well....

Sorry to hear this, I also might be out of a job too.

My brother works for an optician, he is the store manager, he has no job.

The shop where he works is closed because of the china virus yet you can go next door and get your hair permed, cut coloured and whatever women do to their hair but you can't get glasses.  I can't for the life of me work this corona-crap out 

• Like 4