RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72 vac

Brandy

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Ian - that tiny little engine is amazing! :) 

Thanks Ced, it really is. A lovely piece of miniature engineering in itself. I still have to fit the rocker arms and push rods, but that will be later.

This morning was spent tidying up the PPP added last evening, then it was back to the spray booth for a new coat.

49735436982_15c577d8f4_z.jpg

49735113051_ebb21b967b_z.jpg

49735436892_0f2d8d0204_z.jpg

and the engine coat a steel coat.

49734569933_de72fa1515_z.jpg

I changed my plan for the number 6 on the nose. I figured it would be much easier to mask out the 6 and spray the PC10, than spraying the number, hence the white nacelle now!

After that I was planning to attack the booms, but after thinking about it I  decided to wait until I've finished the nacelle and got the cabane struts on just so that I can be absolutely sure that I get the gaps correct. 

So that was it for this one for today.

Stay safe all, and thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

After that I was planning to attack the booms, but after thinking about it I  decided to wait until I've finished the nacelle and got the cabane struts on just so that I can be absolutely sure that I get the gaps correct.

Chicken! You know that you are really looking forward to putting the booms in place!

P

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2020 at 2:34 AM, pheonix said:

Chicken! You know that you are really looking forward to putting the booms in place!

P

🐔

Next job is to mask the rib tapes and spray CDL, so that started today. The first step is obviously to mark the tapes out, and to do that I simply copied the plans I am using an extended the tapes lines. For the lower wings I cut a large slot in the plans so I could tape them to the upper surface and see where I needed to add the tapes.

49756674218_a09d1e4c82_z.jpg

The upper wing was easier as I simply taped the ends of the wing to the plan.

49757199851_6b6bd5a32a_z.jpg

I use Hasagawa 0.5mm tape for this and it's simple to apply, just hold the dispenser close to the rear edge, pull the tape forward with tweezers and line it up. I usually do all the tapes then fine tune them visually to ensure the gaps look even.

49756674128_a1e8860309_z.jpg

49757534342_7eee87015e_z.jpg

A couple of the aileron and elevator tapes are slightly inset from the wing tapes (around the control horns) but they were still added as one piece then cut with a scalpel and repositioned.

A quick blast of CDL on those, as well as the prop and struts as a wood base colour, and we're done on this one for today. 

The reason I do it this way is simply to highlight the tapes. I sprayed a white base, with that masked and a CDL coat sprayed, I will then remove the masking and give it another thin CDL coat so the ribs look lighter. There's method in my madnes!

49756674533_562bbeffb8_z.jpg

49756674368_5ce90fbd70_z.jpg

So tomorrow's job will be remove the masking and spray another CDL coat, then finish the wood on the prop and struts. I may even get the aluminium engine mounting panel done too, we'll see how quickly it dries.

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 17

Just read through this whole thread from the beginning ( I only recently joined) and amazed by the skills on show! This is brilliant model making, will tag along from here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Can't wait to see the result when it's off

What he said, Great work on FE looking forward to more

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:56 AM, RichieW said:

Just read through this whole thread from the beginning ( I only recently joined) and amazed by the skills on show! This is brilliant model making, will tag along from here.

Thanks Richie, welcome aboard!

On 4/11/2020 at 11:17 AM, CedB said:

Great tip Ian - must have taken ages to apply all that tape.

Can't wait to see the result when it's off! :) 

Thanks Ced, wait no longer!

On 4/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, Hamden said:

What he said, Great work on FE looking forward to more

Stay safe         Roger

Thanks Roger.

Well after nearly a week here's a small update. Things have been done, but not much to show visually. Plus I kept putting off stuff I didn't fancy doing....

First of all, I finished off the struts and woodwork on the prop.

49787972993_b005a938d0_z.jpg

The pins have also been clipped to size, and the holes in the bottom of the lower wing filled so the struts don't stick through.

The prop, first after its "leather" wash

49787972703_9a77094644_z.jpg

then after the final clear orange coat

49788512801_6ffbdf9a41_z.jpg

I still need to do the tips and paint and add a PE hub. More jobs I've been putting off!

Today I got around to removing the rib masking and filling the unwanted holes in the underside of the lower wing. Here's how the wings look now.

49787972868_c3e17d6e61_z.jpg

They now need another thin coat of CDL to tone down the ribs and blend it all in.

The final job I tackled today was the main one I'd been putting off, the cabane struts. I started by trying to use brass rod and bend it to shape at the same time as trying to CA the ends together. That just got extremely frustrating so I gave up on that plan and resorted to my usual plastic strip with brass pins. The strip has been shaped and the pins added.

49788512921_59b7b759d7_z.jpg

I've only added pins to one end as the plan is to mount them and adjust the pins to get the correct lengths. Then I'll add a small piece of plastic strip to the upper ends where they meet which will be drilled to accept a pin for each pair. That should make it all strong enough and also allow me to remove them for painting the wood finish. 

That's the plan now, anyway...

Annual recurrency check in the sim tomorrow. Oh fun.

Worse, I've been doing two weeks of ground school instructor training on the King Air, and my recurrency is on the Embraer. That should be interesting...King Air systems/numbers on an Embraer anyone?

Stay safe and thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Well after nearly a week here's a smell update.

and you can't get a face mask for love nor money these days

Wings are looking good Ian, can't wait to see them with more paint on for the finished effect

• Haha 2

Always loved the way you handle the woodwork areas on your biplane builds Ian. Just exquisite colouration. 

Good luck recurrencifying on the King Embrair tomorrow. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

King Air systems/numbers on an Embraer anyone?

Just add 10% airspeed for granny on finals and all will be good....!! :)

Nice woodwork Ian, and the wings look grand!

Keith

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, limeypilot said:

Worse, I've been doing two weeks of ground school instructor training on the King Air, and my recurrency is on the Embraer. That should be interesting...King Air systems/numbers on an Embraer anyone?

Back in the very early stages of my RAF training I had a course colleague who had an interesting theory: 

"If you're fast enough and random enough with the checks, the instructor won't know the difference."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, he was chopped soon afterwards.

Hope it all went well!

Jon

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Not sure why I thought of our Tony @TheBaron, but explains a lot!

Clearly you've yet to hear my soulful rendition of Eamon the Singing Brickie's classic ballad: 'I am a savage for bacon and cabbage.'

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Clearly you've yet to hear my soulful rendition of Eamon the Singing Brickie's classic ballad: 'I am a savage for bacon and cabbage.'

No, but I think we should....!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2020 at 8:22 PM, pheonix said:

It may not look much in the photos Ian, but the bits you have done are truly fiddly and take time and patience. As usual you have excelled at both.

P

Thanks P. They are indeed, and unfortunately I hadn't finished with them!

On 4/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, hendie said:

and you can't get a face mask for love nor money these days

Wings are looking good Ian, can't wait to see them with more paint on for the finished effect

Corrected. A little closer to final paint after today...

On 4/19/2020 at 12:00 AM, TheBaron said:

Always loved the way you handle the woodwork areas on your biplane builds Ian. Just exquisite colouration. 

Good luck recurrencifying on the King Embrair tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony, all done!

On 4/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, CedB said:

More nice work Ian :) 

Good luck with the Sim - you'll be fine :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Ced!

On 4/19/2020 at 2:03 PM, keefr22 said:

Just add 10% airspeed for granny on finals and all will be good....!! :)

Nice woodwork Ian, and the wings look grand!

Keith

:pilot: Thanks Keith!

On 4/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, RichieW said:

Great update, I find struts awkward enough on a 1/32 WNW kit so this impresses me no end. Rib tapes are looking great too. 👍

Cheers Richie. They are definitely small and fiddly, but well worth spending time on them.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, Martian Hale said:

I like the effect on the wing ribs. This is all coming together very nicely.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian!

On 4/19/2020 at 7:15 PM, AdrianMF said:

Nice wood and masking. 

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian!

On 4/23/2020 at 9:59 PM, Jonners said:

Back in the very early stages of my RAF training I had a course colleague who had an interesting theory: 

"If you're fast enough and random enough with the checks, the instructor won't know the difference."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, he was chopped soon afterwards.

Hope it all went well!

Jon

Unfortunately you have even less chance of getting away with that when you  ARE one of the instructors!

On 4/23/2020 at 11:48 PM, TheBaron said:

Sounds interesting. When is it due to be released?

On 4/24/2020 at 4:02 PM, keefr22 said:

No, but I think we should....!! 🤣

Keith

Hmmm....

Sorry for the long delay in updating folks, I just couldn't get the mojo to finish off those bloody little cabane struts. I forced myself to do it today and I'm glad I did. It really wasn't too bad after all. As stated earlier my Plan A was a waste of space. The problem was trying to get the correct slope to the rear, have them meet dead centre when viewed from the front, and get the height correct. All at once!

I made up a couple of templates to assist in getting the forward pair right. Very simple, but it worked ( @pheonix would be proud!). A couple of pieces of card cut to fit and marked for height. I also did another template with a cutout 19mm deep so I could be sure I got both front and rear struts at the correct height - I simply sat it across the fuselage and ensured that the top of the strut sat nicely under the template.

49817451537_dee4221994_z.jpg

49817143256_3bd32f2fc3_z.jpg

As you can see, the mounting holes for the centre struts need to be in line with the wing struts, so the template also helped there. It was a very slow process as I had to first cut the struts roughly to length, then glue them together and wait until they were dry enough to sand the top down level. After that I could add the mount itself. I made that from a tiny piece of .010" x .040" strip, drilled to accept a piece of .016" brass rod which was CA'd into the hole. I trimmed up the strip, filed the joint surface to ensure it was flat, then glued it to the top of the pair of struts. 

Front one done

49817451697_760645beb7_z.jpg

and the rear

49817451687_f156d28970_z.jpg

They are not glued to the nacelle yet as I want to remove them for painting. They will be reattached once they and the nacelle are painted.

Of course I will only really know if i got it right when I come to attach the upper wing!

With that job out of the way I can finish off the prep on the wings. They need, in order: rigging holes and holes for the control cable pulleys drilled, Final coat of CDL, PC10  on the nacelle, wing and tail upper surfaces and wrapped around the edges,  (hence finishing the undersides first).

Then it's decals on the nacelle and final assembly!

Oh, and I need to make the landing gear before painting the PC10 too.

Have a good weekend folks! Stay safe and thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 16