RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72 vac

Brandy

On 01/03/2020 at 10:57, Marklo said:

I too shall follow. I need an FE8 in my collection, now I do have a DH2 kit in my stash ( Eduards I think)which isn’t a million miles away. But even as a kit it looks a little bit scary.

Go for it! One of my absolute favourites 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

Lovely work Ian.  I think I missed something...are you using monofilament for the rigging?  If so, what size?

Hi John,

I use Gamakatsu monofilament 1.5 lb (0.7kg) test. It is 0.06mm which is almost bang on for 1:72 scale. The only drawback is that it is virtually invisible so I run it over a silver permanent marker to help it show up.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Brandy said:

It is 0.06mm which is almost bang on for 1:72 scale. The only drawback is that it is virtually invisible so I run it over a silver permanent marker to help it show up.

I use slightly larger mono, but it is still damn small.  I run it through a black marker...other than that our technique is the same.  Nicely done!

• Like 1

Hi all, back again for another brief update, but first, thanks to all for the feedback - it's most definitely appreciated!

I did have a little OH **** moment earlier in the week when I tipped the turntable onto which I had taped the model, only to remember as it slid off onto the bench that I had removed the tape holding it in place! A quick check revealed that the left upper boom had popped loose at the tail end. Fortunately it was quickly and easily CAd back into place and all the rigging remains taut. 

Phew!

An unexpected day off due to a schedule change has left me a little extra time to spend on this, although I'm still waiting for my new markers for the rigging. Having said that, at least I can get everything ready so when they arrive I can get straight on it.

Today's jobs then:

1) Finish the rigging on the underside - namely the elevator control horns and undercarriage.

50656241641_27f0fdafa8_z.jpg

Done!

2) Finish painting the cockpit edge (there was a metal bead around it, presumably to remove what could otherwise be a rather sharp razor like edge to the nacelle!) and add the pilot's head rest.

50655505963_bae70a45f7_z.jpg

Done!

3) Add the pulleys and control horns on the upper wing for the aileron rigging.

50655506218_18979eddb1_z.jpg

Done! These pulleys are flush on the surface and not proud like those on the underside, which made them far easier to fit.

Jobs remaining now:

Aileron rigging on the upper wing

Repair a tail rigging line which I accidently cut when fitting the elevator lines. :rage:

Paint touch up on the control horns and one or two other areas

Fit the wheels

Fit the engine

Fit the Lewis gun - I also need to make a spent cartridge bag and do some work on the mounting.

Definitely on the home straight now!

Thanks for looking in, stay safe!

Ian

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Hamden said:

More nice detail work, this is really coming together now.

Glad the accidental side slip didn't cause serious damage.

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger!

On 11/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Terry1954 said:

This is turning into a masterpiece Ian. I just love it!

Terry

Much appreciated Terry, glad you're enjoying the build!

On 11/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, pheonix said:

Excellent detailing Ian. What a relief that it was not taped to the turntable...!  Definitely getting ready for the Gunbus.

P

Thanks P. It slipped off the turntable. If it had been taped it would have been safe. It had been taped during the build which is why I forgot and tipped it.... Lucky escape!

On 11/28/2020 at 9:50 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that must have been a heart stopping moment when that slipped.   Glad your gorgeous model survived okay and was quickly put right. 

Great update and what a cracking job.  

Chris

Thanks Chris!

I did mutter a few unprintable words I must admit. I had a lucky escape all right!

Right then, where were we?

Ah yes, aileron rigging.

I have had a horrible lack of mojo over the past couple of months and getting this done has taken far longer than it should have done. However, over a period of a few days I got it taken care of, bit by bit. Then redoing bits that came loose and doing them again...etc etc....

50746791091_ee2bb32ba1_z.jpg

and trimmed up...

50746791056_bc114d1e01_z.jpg

To make absolutely sure I didn't repeat the mistake I made on the tail, when I accidentally cut one of the lines while trimming another, I made a simple "modification" to my scalpel.

50746050413_6e618532d5_z.jpg

It worked!

Once that job was finished there were only a couple of things to do:

repair the tail rigging:

50746893347_3509a20cd8_z.jpg

Done! (The line was cut off and replaced by .06mm wire)

Touch up paintwork on the control horns and a couple of other areas - done but not worth a pic

Add the wheels, engine, and Lewis gun.

50746893147_03bd027fa6_z.jpg

50746893262_eba44be4a2_z.jpg

I gave up on the idea of a spent cartridge bag - too bl**dy small!

So, as of now, I am officially calling this one DONE!

50746050383_ca203f9944_z.jpg

50746893112_5e8404737e_z.jpg

50746050178_4a28c2c706_z.jpg

50746893517_184eb7e48f_z.jpg

RFI to follow when I get a chance to take some decent pics.

Edit - RFI is here.

Many thanks to all who followed along and provided feedback, and Happy Christmas to all!

Stay safe!

Ian

• Like 16

Oh wow,  looks absolutely stunning   truly great work.   I wish I had covered a good portion of the blade on my knife when doing the rigging on my Goblin as I cut another line, oh well, lesson learned !!!

This is a cracking model and a testament to your patience and perseverance.  Congratulations. 

Chris

• Thanks 1