RAF FE8, Scaleplanes 1:72 vac

Brandy

Just caught up.  Wowee I an what a fantastic model, great work indeed. Love the rigging. Crikey you could have done with another pair of hands on the tail and boom assembly and rigging.  The Gunbus will be interesting I am sure.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Re epoxy- no heat issues, don't confuse it with the more dodgy resins (for our purposes, epoxy glue and resin aren pretty well interchangeable in use subject to drippiness- I glue and cast with both). I'll see if I can PM you with an illustrative photo.

Les

• Like 1

Thanks all!

Les, as long as I can be sure there's no heat issue, that's good enough for me!

Here's how she looks with all the pegs removed. A little extra CA in places and I needed to tighten up a couple of the drag wires but otherwise all ok.

50207045972_c00915fc1a_z.jpg

50207045827_874bd45d7b_z.jpg

50207045742_b129526c96_z.jpg

If I did this again I think I would leave the drag wires and associated wing rigging loose at the wing end, and fix the wires on the tail, along with adding the aforementioned strip of brass/plastic strip at the rear end of one of the booms, through the tail, to ensure they align correctly. Once the tail is set in place I could then adjust the tail position slightly by tensioning the drag wires at the forward end.

You live and learn!

Ian

• Like 12

IMO you have got the drag wires pretty much in the right place Ian. As I have written before, this pusher tail was the most difficult that I encountered, (and I have now converted or scratched upwards of 17 pushers). In fact I think that you have made an excellent job of the boom structure and tail. Only the rigging and undercarriage to go now!

P

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 9:22 PM, pheonix said:

IMO you have got the drag wires pretty much in the right place Ian. As I have written before, this pusher tail was the most difficult that I encountered, (and I have now converted or scratched upwards of 17 pushers). In fact I think that you have made an excellent job of the boom structure and tail. Only the rigging and undercarriage to go now!

P

Not quite...read on....

All was not well in pusherland. It must have been F(E)8. :coat:

OK, I'll stick to modelling.

Anyway, the tail was crooked. Not really any great surprise as my method of attachment left far too many variables. It was actually about 2mm further to one side than the other and slightly crooked as seen from behind. I managed to ease the booms off the tail and pull the rigging lines out and the Gators Grip cleaned off easily. That left me with this.

50218133326_f05401ab40_z.jpg

I had expected to have to remove the booms too but they lined up ok once the tail was removed so I left them in place. New rigging holes were drilled separate from the boom mounts and I cut a piece of square masking paper to use as reference. The FE was then taped to that and everything double checked before the tail was CAd on and everything checked again.

Result!

50218354657_376b300d60_z.jpg

50218133421_569ac72150_z.jpg

That's much better, I just need to be careful not to pull it all out of kilter when I rig it!

That's tomorrow's job, enough for today!

Thanks for looking in, stay safe!

Ian

• Like 17

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 11:42 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

Well done. I admit something didn't look right in this photo but I didn't want to say anything...

Please do, the more eyes watching and catching mistakes the better!

On 8/13/2020 at 11:04 AM, CedB said:

Nice save Ian, F(E)8 overcome :D 

Love the jig.

Thanks Ced!

Has it really been 3 weeks since my last update? Blimey!

It's not that nothing has been happening, it has. Just very slowly!

When we left this the booms and tail had been fitted and the cross-bracing from the outer wing struts had been fitted.

50304695312_2e0d7a5164_z.jpg

50304541886_55e0b56937_z.jpg

That meant the next step was to fit the cross bracing between the upper and lower booms on each side. I had thought about this a lot and had already fitted the wires at the front end, trapped under the booms when they were attached. They can be seen n the pic above, taped to the top of the upper wing to keep them out of harm's way. My plan was then to tension the lines and secure them before slipping the struts in to secure everything. There are 3 wires involved each side - the first is already fitted, the cross-bracing from outer struts to rear of opposite boom. Then there's the side bracing mentioned above, trapped under the boom at the front end and needing to be tensioned and secured on the boom at the exact point the strut will be attached. The 3rd is the side-to-side cross bracing between the upper and lower ends of the struts.

My first attempt was to do all 3 at the same time. I tensioned the fore-and-aft wire and taped it to hold it secure, then held the side-to-side one across it to pull all the wires against the boom so I could add a tiny drop of CA to secure them all. 

Another high-tech jig was employed to ensure the attachment was at the correct place, and would be equal both sides.

50303857428_dc19e3338a_z.jpg

50304542031_af48a5cb66_z.jpg

This approach didn't work too well, at least on the first side, so I decided to attach two lines, one at the top and one at the bottom, to one of the struts as per this pic.

50303857378_57c8627647_z.jpg

That meant I had one less variable while adjusting everything, and worked much better.

Part of the reason this update has taken so long is because my method required one small operation to be done, then I had to wait for it to dry properly before the next small step. Another is that I kept destroying work already done! 

Here's the first strut in place.

50303857343_7ee46f6898_z.jpg

That worked ok and was happy with it so proceeded to the other side. While tensioning that I got careless and pulled the entire strut off again, along with the associated wires.

Oh bother, said I. 

and left it alone for a few days.

The strut and wires were eventually refitted, and left alone again.

next step, repeat the process on the other side. Without pulling it all off again!

Instead I pulled the wire out from under the lower boom.

Oh bother I said, once more.

and left it alone again.

It took a few attempts to resecure that line, but eventually it was done and I could progress.

The lower boom attachments were done first. The wires tensioned and taped in place, then a tiny dab of CA applied to secure them.

I then resorted to yet another high-tech jig to hold the upper wires in place while they cured: two tiny clothes pegs and a cocktail stick.

The upper cross wire was held by one peg which was slipped over the cocktail stick. The second peg secured the first at the desired height to hold the tension. The fore-and-aft wire was trapped between the cross wire and tensioned, and then all 3 were adjusted to cross the boom at the same point, making sure that point was level with the ones on the other side and the lower one on the same side.

50304541126_be670820c1_z.jpg

50304541096_8558beafb6_z.jpg

Once that was hardened I could trim and fit the second strut!

50304694662_2f895b9784_z.jpg

50304694477_dfca1f63dd_z.jpg

Done!

Next step now is to tension the rear half of the side cross-bracing (between the struts and the tail) and add the small strut at the rear end. That SHOULD be far simpler...

Provided I don't pull the struts off....

Time for a beer.

Thanks for dropping by, stay safe!

Ian

• Like 17

On 04/09/2020 at 12:58, Brandy said:

Oh bother, said I. 

Is that you Winnie? Or is it Pooh? :D 

Great work and perseverance Ian, it's certainly paid off.

Looking splendid :) 

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:50 PM, AdrianMF said:

How frustrating! Looks good though :)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. It was just a little frustrating. Fortunately the bar is only a short walk from my apartment!

On 9/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, hendie said:

masterful work Ian.

so I've got all this to look forward to on my F2B then?    I don't even know where to begin

Cheers Hendie! Actually you've only got about half of this to look forward to, so no worries!

On 9/4/2020 at 10:21 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

Brilliant build Ian, one small step at a time. Cracking stuff

Regards Toby

Thanks Toby!

On 9/4/2020 at 10:33 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

F2B? Easy! I have 2 1/72 DH2s in the stash - watching with concern!

Lol. One for practice, one to do right?

Don't worry, it's all about planning. Sticking the wires in the 'oles is the easy bit.

On 9/5/2020 at 1:30 AM, Jonners said:

So it isn't just me...

Looking fantastic, Ian.

Cheers Jon!

On 9/5/2020 at 4:04 PM, CedB said:

Is that you Winnie? Or is it Pooh? :D 

Great work and perseverance Ian, it's certainly paid off.

Looking splendid :) 

That is a little closer to what I actually said....

Thanks Ced!

On 9/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, great work looks lovely, great patience too.   Keep up the good work as this is going to look amazing.   

Chris

Thanks Chris!

51 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Superb piece of rigging and even better language!

Yes the Brisfit is a doddle compared to some of these pushers - but the latter are soooo much more interesting!

P

Cheers P. I lied about the language though.

A day off today, so I forced myself to finish off the boom rigging. 

Two small pieces of .4 x .75mm (.015 x .030") rod to make the small rear struts which should have holes in but I didn't bother drilling them. They were actually brackets for the adjustable tail plane. The leading edge of which could be moved up or down and bolted through the respective holes in these brackets to fix it in place. The wires were tacked in place in the same fashion as before and the brackets were then CAd in place between the wires to secure them. A little thin CA was thin added to ensure a secure bond and fill any small gaps.

50318973603_e6c9c562c9_z.jpg

50318973543_8140183652_z.jpg

50319643041_59dff522a9_z.jpg

50319643196_2196a007d9_z.jpg

The brackets need to be painted grey, and there is some touching up to be done on the struts and booms but nothing major. After that has been taken care of the next step will be rigging the elevators and rudder.

More fiddly fun!

Thanks for looking in, and stay safe!

Ian

• Like 11