Stuka! Airfix 1/24th classic

As those above have said - this is a lovely build - well done - you have done it justice.

I've always wanted one - but can't find one for love or money.

Wow, beautiful Tom, and yes, I think the Stuka really is a lovely design! I’ve been thinking about getting another having built one as a kid and you’ve just persuaded me! Lovely paintwork, hope to see it on your club display at Telford if you bring it :)

• Thanks 1

Brilliant Tom. It’s still a good kit today and you have elevated by the application of “modelling skill required”

I have one to start in 1/32 if/ when I get time away from work and house building. 

My research raised a question as I am doing one from the same unit and wondered if you had any ideas. Both the Airfix and the Hasegawa decals for their Stuka has the coat of arms on a yellow disc. Now the volume of Luftwaffe Crash Archive has a quote from intelligence reports saying the disc colour is white. There are photos and I have tried to compare the tone on the photos to the white on the crosses etc 

I am guessing the kit decals are right but not 100% sure. 

Any thoughts?

Also what colours did you choose for the cockpit?

Always enjoy seeing your builds and wish mine could get to being half as good

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, SpeedyGonzales said:

Lovely Stuka, nicely detailed and displayed. But just too clean, maybe :hmmm::hmmm:, and I don't mean weathering, Did you apply panel washing?

Thank you - and no, no panel wash applied. I personally don't like the use of washes to highlight panel lines to be honest. I struggle to get a realistic highlighting of the panels and the last thing I want to do is to get the 'in your face / this looks like a map of the UK rail-network' effect. I know a good finish can be achieved, but I simply don't have the skill and have seen the finish of too many models ruined by ridiculous over-done panel lines so don't tend to risk it. :)

On 2/29/2020 at 7:18 PM, kev67 said:

Very nice Tom, I can see you have been busy with this and the B52

Busy with this, yes. The B-52...no. Need to get back to that project soon :wall:

23 hours ago, BIG X said:

As those above have said - this is a lovely build - well done - you have done it justice.

I've always wanted one - but can't find one for love or money.

Thank you - this one actually came from Austria and was the Heller boxing. It was for sale on Large Scale Planes and I think I gave about £40 for it - an absolute steal!

22 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Really great Stuka, for my taste a bit to clean, but all in all excellent work.

Thank you - I like them clean to be honest. As explained above I always feel there are so many models over and unrealistically weathered so I always tend to err on the cautious side. Not to everyone's tastes I know, but its how I like 'em.

21 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice build. Were there any issues at all, given the size of the kit?

No, not really. It fitted really well, and apart from some flash here and there, was a fairly easy build. I suppose it's a bit basic when compared to the more recent Airfix kits, but all in all it was a fun build. 

10 hours ago, JohnT said:

Brilliant Tom. It’s still a good kit today and you have elevated by the application of “modelling skill required”

I have one to start in 1/32 if/ when I get time away from work and house building. 

My research raised a question as I am doing one from the same unit and wondered if you had any ideas. Both the Airfix and the Hasegawa decals for their Stuka has the coat of arms on a yellow disc. Now the volume of Luftwaffe Crash Archive has a quote from intelligence reports saying the disc colour is white. There are photos and I have tried to compare the tone on the photos to the white on the crosses etc 

I am guessing the kit decals are right but not 100% sure. 

Any thoughts?

Also what colours did you choose for the cockpit?

Always enjoy seeing your builds and wish mine could get to being half as good

I honestly have no idea about the coat of arms - it hadn't even crossed my mind until you mentioned it. Colour drawings/profiles I looked at whilst researching the build showed it yellow, and I didn't come across a wartime colour picture so I suppose until someone does we'll never know. :hmmm:

I used RLM02 for the interior as I presumed that being a B-model it would be too early for the later RLM66.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thats a lovely job on that kit, she came out really well. I have been unsure whether or not to show the engine when i get to mine, this is deffinetly a good argument not to hide it.

I like the larkings. I have 2011 boxing and it has different aircraft, i do like the ones on yours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

Thank you - and no, no panel wash applied. I personally don't like the use of washes to highlight panel lines to be honest. I struggle to get a realistic highlighting of the panels and the last thing I want to do is to get the 'in your face / this looks like a map of the UK rail-network' effect. I know a good finish can be achieved, but I simply don't have the skill and have seen the finish of too many models ruined by ridiculous over-done panel lines so don't tend to risk it. :)

Very well said 👏👏👏

Very glad you chose realism over stylistic trends, it looks absolutely fantastic. Really impressed that these grand old kits scrub up so well in the right hands. 

Alan

• Thanks 1