1/72 scale Stridsvagn M/40L

JeroenS

Hi all, I'm entering a second build in this GB. The main reason is that I always need a "build on the side" when I'm in the middle of a larger build. I like starting a new kit very much (o don't we all) and I like having finished a kit just as much. I sometimes struggle with the bit in between 🙂 ... I've noticed that I can generate some new energy just by having another (smaller) build to turn to every once in a while. Now, I have some IBG Models 1/72 scale WWII cargo trucks on the go just for that reason, but I thought if I'm going for a little distraction I might as well do it with something eligible for this GB. 

Also, I thought we could do with some more land-dwelling vehicles as balance against all these wingy thingy's which are being produced at a rapid pace! Finally, I like the word "Stridsvagn" very much, it sounds great although I've only pronounced it inside my head, and even then probably all wrong 🙂 

Battle wagon!

So here's the kit: 

20200229163902-0faa38a5-me.jpg

As I said, I have some small scale trucks from IBG on the go and I'm quite impressed by them. Nicely moulded, good fit. In fact, along with this kit I bought two more of their 1/72 scale trucks (hey, you have to make the most of those shipping costs 🙂). 

Background info (from the box): Stridsvagn L-60 was a light Swedish tank produced in 1934, and later upgraded to m/38, m/39 and m/40K and m/40L versions. The latter is in this kit. After WWII, some were sold to Dominican Republic where they served in the 1965 civil war. The kit contains markings for this version. 

This is what's in the box: 

20200229161748-2bdc5ecf-me.jpg

A couple of sprues for the hull parts and a double one for the tracks and road wheels. A decal sheet and a small PE fret. Should be fun. By the way, I've only ever built one (1) tank before, also in small scale, so if it looks like I don't know what I'm doing during this build, that's because I don't 🙂 

• Like 8

Nice to see this one here. I have built three of the IBG Swedish tanks but never finished painting them so I would like to give a small tip for building it.

spacer.png

I found it hard to get the outer and inner wheels aligned. I used pieces of cardboard while the glue set to get it straight .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instructions say start with the road wheels but nah, I I thought the hull would be more satisfying for today. 

The upper hull is done. 

20200229215358-470b31e1-me.jpg

20200229215357-e66e6e9c-me.jpg

So far, detail is nice and fit is good. Only thing "wrong" with this kit is the rather oversized sprue gates (or lands, or whatever they're called). Makes for precarious cleanup in some cases. Other than that, smooth sailing. 

• Like 2

welcome along with build #2 and it's a cute wee tank!!

I've never heard of these or even seen pictures, but what a great subject, a "Caribbean Swede".

hey most of us don't know what we're doing most of the time, so we make it up so no one will notice! :D

Good luck with this one, if it's anything like you truck it'll be a winner.

• Like 1

Nice start Jeroen. Posing the upper hull next to the bottle shows just how small your kit is and how well moulded all that detail is :) 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice start Jeroen. Posing the upper hull next to the bottle shows just how small your kit is and how well moulded all that detail is :) 

It's a very small tank. I think that's probably why the Swedes sold them off, they were getting too tall for this tank 🙂 

• Haha 1

Working on the turret, the rear needs a bit of filler. 

20200301121656-d8f3e786-me.jpg

While that dries, let's put the lower hull together. Bottom, sides and back went together nicely, a bit of a problem at the front. 

20200301121654-a81670f0-me.jpg

The part is bent, I'm pretty sure the tank is not supposed to look like Kermit the Frog. Or it could be some extra ventilation but I don't think so. 

Some pressure then. A small crack appeared, but nothing that some filler won't solve. 

20200301121655-5e214914-me.jpg

I can already see that mating upper and lower hull will need some work as well. 

20200301121656-5d5f8702-me.jpg

It's not actually this bad but I found that I need to use both hands to put pressure in the right places and that pretty much rules out taking pictures. But, some gaps are there but it should work out fine in the end. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

20200301121654-a81670f0-me.jpg

The part is bent, I'm pretty sure the tank is not supposed to look like Kermit the Frog. Or it could be some extra ventilation but I don't think so. 

It's not actually this bad but I found that I need to use both hands to put pressure in the right places and that pretty much rules out taking pictures. But, some gaps are there but it should work out fine in the end. 

Looks like my Ford S-Max........😄

• Haha 2

Upper and lower hull are dry fitted, everything else is done except for the wheels and tracks. That's for another time. 

20200301201956-be103e9f-me.jpg

20200301201955-20f3f883-me.jpg]

A nice little build so far. Thinking about the colour now. Instructions say "olive drab" but the box art is definitely not that. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Col. said:

That's come together quickly for you :thumbsup:

That's only because I haven't done the tracks yet. Lots of small parts there!

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Just think of the fun you're about to have :D 

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2020 at 4:20 PM, JeroenS said:

alcohol really does help with that process! :D

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

alcohol really does help with that process! :D

Hmm... I would have thought glue was the way to go but maybe I'll try your suggestion 😉

• Haha 1

Tiny bit of progress on this one... road wheels. 

20200309210548-e37ea104-me.jpg

To align the inner and outer wheels I used bits of .25 mm strip, based on @Orso's suggestion. 

• Like 1