BKS Trident 1E- Airfix 1:144

BKS Trident 1E- Airfix 1:144

With classic-airlines.com decals

bks14.jpg

I have a liking for taking older kits and trying to improve them with a few modifications, principally with the Airfix range of airliners from the 1960's and 70's.  Often they are the only choice around, and there is an element of nostalgia as I used to build them as a kid. Also, at the time they were all in service and could be seen at any main airport.

This is my second Trident, this time altered to a 1E model from the basic Airfix 1C kit. A full explanation is in the Work In Progress thread.

BKS were a small airline based in the North East of England. BEA bought shares in them, and after a name change to 'Northeast' (with the Tridents repainted with a yellow top and white cheatline) they were absorbed into British Airways. I rather like this livery, and found it was available from classic-airlines.com. I did not use all the decal sheet, preferring to mask and paint that red cheatline.

It is quite satisfying to improve on the basic kit. Yes the Authentic Airliners Trident is light years ahead in accuracy and quality, but I enjoy the process of doing a bit of modelling with old fashioned plasticard and filler. I've already started my next project, and Airfix Boeing 707 with a Daco Clear cockpit section from their 737 kit.

Back to the Trident, I hope you like it:

bks15.jpg

All Tridents had an offset noseleg. Like this:

bks16.jpg

bks17.jpg

The external APU fuel line modification is just visible under the engine:

bks18.jpg

bks19.jpg

I used Authentic Airliners photo realistic window decals. But hit an unexpected snag as there were semi translucent. The crew came out wearing pink shirts due to the underling red paint! I quickly cut some white decal window shapes and slid them under the still wet decal. It is worth bearing in mind for future use of these decals.

bks21.jpg

As always I can't resist doing a 'With something else' photo. In this case another British independent airline, Dan-Air. They have an HS 748 and Airspeed Ambassador parked on the ramp behind, as Yankee Charlie Taxies in.

bks22.jpg

And finally, another photo of my two Tridents together.

bks23.jpg

They make a change from BEA/BA Tridents, but I have a Red Square and Speedjack set of decals waiting for my next two builds.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

Hi John

I have already commented on the WIP thread but it's great to see the larger photos which show the model to best advantage. IMHO the red stripe is much the more attractive of the two liveries which the BKS Tridents carried. I do like the "with something else" photos, particularly the first one which is very evocative

You are definitely tempting me to dig out the Channel Airways decals I have in my stash. I believe their Tridents had seven-abreast seating, a thought which makes me shudder!

Dave G

Love the Trident. BKS used to fly in and out of Southend when I was a nipper ( we lived about a mile from the end of the runway, directly under the flight path). I think that it was mainly Dakotas then and as an 8 year old, my Dad used to make me laugh by saying that BKS stood for Bum Kicking Society.

John.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I have a liking for taking older kits and trying to improve them

You can say that again John, proper modelling!

Lovely 'gripper' in a great old livery. How I miss the Trident, to think when I used to spend much of my summer holidays at Heathrow it was always 'oh, another Trident....boring'!

That's some sharp masking on the cheatline. Good save with the white decal under the pilot's shirts, I can just imagine the panic!

How did the AA cockpit windscreen fit?

Great 'with something else ' shots too, I don't remember seeing the Dan-Air 748 before.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I quickly cut some white decal window shapes and slid them under the still wet decal. It is worth bearing in mind for future use of these decals.

I spotted this on the WIP thread but you'd already applied them so too late to warn you. I bought this set off Kurt at Telford, he's aware of the problem as the set now comes with an additional set of cockpit windows underprinted in white. The ones on the main sheet are ok if going on a white fuselage, but not as you've found on anything much darker or coloured.

Excellent result with the model though, John, I've got those decals as well as Northeast and Channel Airways for an AA kit, decisions, decisions....

I saw this little beauty in the flesh the other evening and have to say it's a fabulous result. 

59 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

That is just lovely. I feel waves of nostalgia washing over me.

I know what you mean here Eric,..

Chris.

Hi John, Thats a lovely job you have done there,couldnt agree more about the old airfix kits, I find it very satisfying to tidy up an old kit into a decent model,wish I still had some left.                                                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.

A lovely job indeed! Very nicely finished.

I'm not really into airliners but I built a BEA speedjack version of this kit a few years ago as I have a soft spot for this plane.

Miguel

Hi John...congratulations on a great build. Really like the old Trident, and what you've done with this one is superb. I always get thrown by a nose-on shot, showing the off set nose gear...that's just plain weird! Good catch on the translucent cockpit windows...glad you caught it before they dried in place! And the Classic Airlines decals are quite nice for this livery. Nice job indeed! :rolleyes: 

Regarding the pilot's shirt being too dark, you could always say that his wife forget to separate the whites and the darks when doing the weekly wash. It was the 1970s after all so blaming the misses would have been perfectly acceptable back then.

Lovely - thanks for posting.

Didn't know about the nose gear - next time I'm near a Trident I'll check that out.

Please post your 707 as and when it's ready. I made the version in Air India colours which are really eye-catching, but I've never seen one posted (maybe because the engines on the kit are terrible so few people build them).

Regards,

Vulcanfan

On 3/1/2020 at 12:46 AM, Turbofan said:

Has it inspired you to finish your Trident Chris?!:deadhorse::rage:

I have all the inspiration I need thank you very much.

It's time that I lack.  One of these days Ian.  :tease:

• 2 weeks later...