Boeing 777-300ER to -200ER/LR/F Conversion

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I was fortunate to get my Minicraft kits shortly after release for a reasonable price, (about $30) so I am not too concerned about the issues with them, some are easy fixes.

I also have the A350-900 (one already finished in Finnair colours and another to build) and -1000 kits waiting for a nice scheme to attract my attention.

Good luck with the rest of the build and your future projects!

Thank you 👍🏻. That’s a better price for them. I do like the A350 I just need to figure out a good match for ‘Matterhorn White’ for the wing surfaces. I like the look for the -1000 and was considering a BA or Virgin Atlantic livery for that. 

Regards,

Alistair

Progress has been pretty slow the last week or so with being back at work and being on lates. I haven’t managed to get too much done, but I have almost finished the fuselage section now and will soon be ready to apply the decals. I have applied some weathering to the wings, this was done by using a HB pencil to highlight the control surfaces, and using my finger gently drag back in the direction of the airflow to simulate the grime that often builds up on the wings.

49637550263_5f4f2afde2_b.jpg

I also came across a photo where it appeared to show a more white/lighter grime build up across the top surface of the wings, which I have tried to replicate by gently rubbing a bit of wet/dry sandpaper over the surface. I think it has turned out ok. 

49637577558_28f18e0ce9_b.jpg 49638352647_673027af9d_b.jpg

Alistair

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

any tips on getting such a good finish? 

Use a primer coat. I use as wide a brush as possible and build it up in thin layers, being careful not to go over the same area regularly until it fully dried. I have a wide variety of Humbrol brushes that I use, with some very fine brushes for the more intricate detailed parts. 

I use Revell and Humbrol’s Aqua acrylic ranges, which are great and have a quick touch dry time which helps to build up a good even coat relatively quickly. They mix really well as well. Some colours are tricky to paint though, red is one, and I admit I struggled with my Norwegian 787-9.

Also keep washing the brush regularly to ensure that the paint doesn’t dry on the brush which can cause streaking in the paintwork. The trick is not trying to rush it. I used to use enamels but switched to acrylic as they are less intrusive odour wise and have a much quicker dry time. Hope some of that helps.

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With how much my fuselage is progressing, I thought my engines better catch up. Being it is the first time I have used BraZ engines, I was nervous about getting a good end result. They are a lovely product, I would highly recommend them, and they offer the option of making many different aircraft variants. 

49647144201_7be6ec08e6_b.jpg

After detaching all the engine parts, I began the process of assembling them together. With resin parts, regular plastic glues won’t work to bond the surfaces, I used some epoxy to bond most of the parts together and also used loctite super glue to bond the nacelle sections together. The fit wasn’t too bad overall and I used milliput to full the remaining gaps, then once this had set for 24hrs, I used some wet and dry to sand this smooth. I found there was ‘step’ between the front and back sections of the engines so this required some gentle sanding to level the surfaces. Here the engines now pre primer...

49647429052_a07fc2af16_b.jpg

I began the decals of the fuselage... it’s my first time using decals from RichW and so far I am very impressed, they conform to the model very well... 

49646645453_16f199833e_b.jpg 49646645463_8e0224af53_b.jpg

Alistair

• Like 3

So following on from my building of the engines the other day, I cracked on with the painting and weathering in readiness for the decals and eventually fitment to the wings. These engines are truly lovely, and a notable size difference is visible from the larger GE90-115s. 

These were again sprayed with Halfords Fiat Capri Blue and the metals are a mix of Revell Aqua colours. I came across a good photo of an engine that had what appeared to light grime streaks in the paintwork from where the reversers would be deployed on landing. I have tried to mirror this effect with some gentle sandpaper strokes. I hope it shows up in the photos, as it’s only a subtle effect. 

49650022796_96509be0dd_b.jpg

Also I have been able to crack on with more decals, and here is a final sneak peak now before it’s fully finished, which shouldn’t be too much longer now. It’s hard to imagine this kit was in 3 pieces just 4 weeks ago, contemplating my decision to do a conversion for the first time. It has been a challenge and something that I have enjoyed. It’s been a good learning curve, but also a great chance to develop some new skills. I hope this thread can inspire someone like me to begin their first conversion... and I hope that also like me, you won’t look back. Thank you for those that have been following my progress. I will follow it up with a series of photos in order of each stage of the conversion. 

49649484443_0662b17d29_b.jpg

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 4

Sorry I've missed this before, I've only caught your enquiry threads and didn't realise you were so far into this excellent conversion. 

A great rendition of a good old BA workhorse 👍

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Sorry I've missed this before, I've only caught your enquiry threads and didn't realise you were so far into this excellent conversion. 

A great rendition of a good old BA workhorse 👍

Thank you I appreciate that. I think you’re right about the coroguard section on the  wings... the photos I had to compare made it look heavily contaminated. I’m looking forward to getting it finished now.

Alistair

Here is a sequence of photos all together of my converted build... 

777 conversion 777 conversion 777 conversion 777 conversion 777 conversion 777 conversion 777 conversion 49603973226_802ae56408_b.jpg 777 conversion 49613748737_bf07a7708b_b.jpg 49637550263_5f4f2afde2_b.jpg 49642718896_b21af561e0_b.jpg 49647429052_a07fc2af16_b.jpg 49646645463_8e0224af53_b.jpg 49650022796_96509be0dd_b.jpg 49651776681_32934e9ea1_b.jpg 49651776761_18f04f3639_b.jpg 49651238978_0deb635c88_b.jpg 49652049847_c9f13953c7_b.jpg

Once again thank for following my progress I built this, this is probably the first model I have actually built from start to finish without being distracted by other projects. 

Here is my final model in the RFI section... 

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 9

On 02/03/2020 at 11:52, Scotsman07 said:

. It’s also giving me a bit of confidence to do more conversions in the future, as I would like to make a 737-900 model at some point. Haha...

Well done on taking the plunge with a conversion. For a 737-900 my choice would be a "2 kit stretch" (sounds a bit like a prison sentence) instead of trying to stretch and fill 1 fuselage. Keep up the good work

I really like the pictorial guide at the end. Can I PM about the potentially spare kit engines?

Edited by Abandoned Project
  • Thanks 1