Kit - Academy 13288 (2014 reissue)

Paint - Mig acrylic OD modulation set, Tamiya acrylics.

Decals - Kit (Designed by DEF Models, printed by Cartograph)

Extras - DEF Model mantlet & barrel, Italeri, Tamiya & Masterbox accessories.

M10 GMC

Régiment Blindé de Fusiliers-Marins,

French 2nd Armd Div.

Outside Paris, August 1944.

EKhi8jI.jpg

B64T9un.jpg

PITW8ye.jpg

J3b6aek.jpg

TAIX396.jpg

poIPfj3.jpg

rrue8gQ.jpg

Nq5nEZR.jpg

JnpdXGz.jpg

rIvIv5F.jpg

70R99Ay.jpg

vuspr2L.jpg

...and with it's 'brother in arms' the Tamiya M4A3E8.

55ZFA28.jpg

It's hard to explain, the M10 is just one of those subjects that has a very definite appeal to me, but I would never commit to building one until recently because I knew my 'skills' (such as they are), would never come close to building what I saw in my head. It's only in the last two or three years that my AFV 'skills' have started to coalesce, so in 2018 I took a deep-breath, bought the kit and then left it alone... still nervous of it y'see.

Started work finally on it just before Christmas and have been grabbing a few sessions here and there for the last eight weeks or so. The Academy kit is NOT a straightforward build, a lot of planning is needed especially in the early stages where building-up, masking and painting the interior sub-assemblies has to be done in such a way as to minimise re-painting and re-masking over and over again. The fit of the turret halves was a nightmare as they seemed to be entirely different sizes, but with some good super-glue, some pulling and twisting and a fair chunk of swearing it did work-out. The kit-supplied gun-barrel is terrible and best consigned to the bin in my opinion - the kit-specific barrel & mantlet set from DEF Model is a massive improvement and highly recommended.

I decided before I began that the finished model would have very little in the way of stowage as historically the RBFM vehicles that took part in the Paris Liberation skirmishes drove only short distances from their lager areas, fought then retreated for the evening to start all over again the following day !. Also I recently finished an Easy 8 in 'road march' configuration and fancied something a little more 'minimalist'.

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment, please feel free to ask any questions or suggest any improvements. Next for me is a Eurofighter and then an M41 Walker Bulldog, both for GB's elsewhere on t'interweb.

Have a great weekend, folks, best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 25

Hi Ian, Brilliant, I've heard the Academy kit can be a pain but you've done a smashing job of it. Really nice job of the worn and streaked O/D in fact excellant weathering all round, good job of conveying the look of heavy metal.

I'm on with Tamiyas Achillies at the moment and can recommend the Tamiya kit if you fancy another. I know what you mean regarding painting sequence too btw!

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Cheers Darryl, 'ppreciate the kind words, matey - Poulton, eh... got a couple of stories from a few years ago about 'goings-on' up that way - but not on a public forum, eh ?  :wink:

Planning on doing both the Tamiya M10 & Achilles aswell, just a question of monies and whether I'll live that long !!

Ian.

That's another stunningly built, painted and weathered model Ian, looks absolutely tremendous!

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I knew my 'skills' (such as they are), would never come close to building what I saw in my head

I wish my 'skills' came somewhere close to yours, I might get some of my AFV stash built then...!!

Top job again!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Cheers Darryl, 'ppreciate the kind words, matey - Poulton, eh... got a couple of stories from a few years ago about 'goings-on' up that way - but not on a public forum, eh ?  :wink:

Gosh! And Poulton being so prim and proper, or so the native's would have you believe. 😉

I'm intrigued, bound to be connected to the teacher training college?

(However its probably no better now even without the college).

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

bound to be connected to the teacher training college? (However its probably no better now even without the college).

Nope, not even remotely... almost midnight here, so will PM you tomorrow.

Ian.

Very, very nice mate.  With the quality of this and your Sherman I have no idea why you would even doubt your AFV skills because they are both 🤩

Especially like the muted, toned down effect on the white lettering, very nicely done.

• Thanks 1