Karaya Supermarine Sea Lion II - 1922 Schneider Cup winner - 1/72nd resin

I added the diagonal struts at this point and primed the assembly, judging it far more convenient. Ideally, this is how this part should have been provided, as a unit, but resin casting has its limits, as we all know.
The radiator is given a gloss black base:

IMG_9004+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

As we know, the struttery on the tail is inaccurate, therefore in preparation for substitutions/additions I am priming some more strut material from the spares bin, with some members being a bit less portly than the kit's:

IMG_9006+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

On 3/19/2020 at 5:00 AM, Moa said:

The measures from the wing were transferred to a sheet of paper, and using five-minute epoxy the engine pan legs were glued and the whole assembly carefully aligned. This is not as easy as it sounds, but I had tried two other ways before and failed, and this worked.

The definitive method has an elegance to it! Nicely resolved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

After trials with several blue hues I went for what I liked best.

It's called "Je ne sais quoi bleu":

Well, it looks lovely "Je veux savoir quel bleu?" (hope Google Translate got that right!)

& what would we all do without the humble wooden clothes peg...

Edited by greggles.w
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, greggles.w said:

"Je veux savoir quel bleu?"

I ended up using (much to my surprise) a relatively old small glass jar of Testors gloss dark blue.

It's very similar to Model Master's Ford and GM engine blue (2727)

I toned it a wee-bit with a little pinch of Humbrol gloss 14

"A little bit of something in my life....  🎼  🎶 "

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking really smart, that engine looks nicely planted on its legs.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart

Actually, I hit a little snafu.

All was neat and impeccably placed, so something was bound (we modelers know this) to happen.

And it did.

I was trying on the upper wing when I realized that the wing would hit the engine top, and therefore the wing struts would be short.

The necessary adjustment was of about 1 / 1.5 mm.

Therefore I had to yank the engine castle assembly (yeah, tell me), losing in the process the firmly glued pips of the struts that went on the lower wing, and of course marring a bit the -until then- flawless finish.

I can't but attribute this to the kit's engine gondola struts being too long.

The surface had to be fixed, the base of those struts very carefully trimmed, in order to lower the castle that darn millimeter.

Everything was glued back and fortunately looks right, but this is yet one more glitch with this kit.

The fantastic detail and surfaces, the good casting, the superb subject, are let down by some questionable engineering in certain areas, and a bit or research lacking in others (decals, tail struts, beaching gear).

Still, this kit merits that extra effort in my humble opinion, but I wish I would not have encountered these issues.

We Volga on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

38 minutes ago, Andwil said:

If you’ve lowered the engine I assume that you have checked that the prop clears the fuselage (hull?).

AW

Grrrr!!!! why would you like to look for more problems?! 😝

I did check, there is still a good 2mm clearance, which reinforces my view that those struts were too long.

But there is something in that area that I forgot to point out for future generations of Karaya's Sea Lion builders:

There were a few battens on the spine immediately behind the prop, a standing area no doubt. These are visible in a photo that also clearly shows the number 14 on the fuselage left side (will we ever know if the number was on the other side too?) in the book "British Flying Boats" by Peter London.

• Like 2

What building models in the same room where you have your office does to your computer.

My desktop computer was behaving erratically, it was high time to go inside and see what was going on. I suspected a faulty power supply, but my younger son (a computer wizard and programmer) suggested to renew the thermal paste on the heat-sink array. I removed the fan and the finned heat-sink element, and boy, was he right...

IMG_4560.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2