Karaya Supermarine Sea Lion II - 1922 Schneider Cup winner - 1/72nd resin

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Dude! Slow the frik down! I can't follow you at this breakneck pace. Give an old geezer a chance to catch up.

Chris

"The last shall be first" in the kingdom of heaven.

In the kingdom of the British Commonwealth, they shall be the first too:

The first to be eaten by the dinosaurs that are closing up from behind.

Run!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's too slow for me. I've been educating myself on who Karaya are, and looking at their wares on ebay ... which was a bad move as they have an embarrassment of riches for anyone interested in early Supermarine and Schneider racers.  Being a novice builder, and on the Airfix Starter Kit rung of the Modelling Experience Ladder, has helped me fight the urge to purchase half a dozen kits. (That I also can't afford.)

• Haha 2

Gee! we have a (little) problem!:
There were Gs under the stab, as demonstrated by this photo. But the kit only provides 2 for both sides of the rudder.
Karaya: ts-ts, go to the blackboard and write 20 times "Should do better research" (although to be frank, I also missed it the first round of checking against photos):

Supermarine+Sea+Lion+3.JPG

And if those Gs where underside the stab, chances are they also were on top, but can't verify on the few images I have of it.

• Like 9

AND...we have another (slightly bigger problem)

Looking at the photo above, you can see the registration letters ("G-E") under the right bottom wing, which of course means that "BAH" is under the left wing, and likely also on top of the upper wings.

Sigh....

And everyone missed that, in any illustration, drawing and depiction that I know of.

• Like 3

Ah, the delights of research...

Going even deeper.

We know that the plane was assigned #14 for the race, but I couldn't find any photo of it with that number, until now:

(from Gallica, L'Aerophile Oct 1922):

L%2527A%25C3%25A9rophile__bpt6k6554866j_

So, it looks like, yet again, I will have to commission a new, accurate, set of decals.

Aiiiioooooo Silver!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Moa said:

Ah, the delights of research...

Going even deeper.

We know that the plane was assigned #14 for the race, but I couldn't find any photo of it with that number, until now:

(from Gallica, L'Aerophile Oct 1922):

I'm surprised how few photos there are about of 'No14' G-EBAH, especially as it won the '22 race. I only found one outside of the three already here, and it's pretty rubbish I'm afraid.
https://www.abebooks.com/signed/1922-Photgraphs-Signed-Clinton-SCHNEIDER-TROPHY/22926117910/bd#&gid=1&pid=1

And while I was looking at Kayara kits I did find this thread on the same kit. I'm guessing it may already be on your radar. The builder also mentions the decal deficiencies you've already discovered.

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=5317

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

I'm surprised how few photos there are about of 'No14' G-EBAH, especially as it won the '22 race. I only found one outside of the three already here, and it's pretty rubbish I'm afraid.
https://www.abebooks.com/signed/1922-Photgraphs-Signed-Clinton-SCHNEIDER-TROPHY/22926117910/bd#&gid=1&pid=1

And while I was looking at Kayara kits I did find this thread on the same kit. I'm guessing it may already be on your radar. The builder also mentions the decal deficiencies you've already discovered.

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=5317

Thanks Mike.

I have found the first link during research, but the link to the build was unknown to me.

The builder is actually a BMer too, who is in fact posting in this same thread.

You are right, as I mentioned above somewhere the photographic material available for this plane is thin.

Still, as you saw, investing some time in research disinterred treasures like the Gallica page.

The only sort of nebulous area now for me is the engine pan/radiator and its strutting, that I think may be not exactly as described in the kit.

The truth is out there...

• Like 3

Still have to fix that air bubble on the headrest fairing. After taking the photo I applied a bit of Milliput that will hopefully be re-shaped when it is a bit more solid:
IMG_8708+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Seven years ago good friend and fellow modeler David (thanks once more!) presented this wonderful gift that has been a very good reference since then:

IMG_8708b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

It has a nice plan of the plane and of course some useful historical notes:

IMG_8709+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

So this is what Karaya missed regarding the tail struts, they are not N struts, but go like in this rough sketch. References point out to issues with tail vibration or oscillation, thence perhaps the intended remedy. There was also a wire -not drawn-  triangulating the "normal", more external struts:

IMG_8718+%25281280x955%2529.jpg

And yes, definitely Karaya missed a single strut that goes from the engine to the fuselage. advancing a bit diagonally, similar to this one seen in the Sea Lion III:

tail+struts+2.JPG

• Like 9

Another interesting build faced with the usual skills and dedication!

Beautiful kit , even if resin makes things moretricky. Not a problem for you !

Schneider cup saw a lot of interesting  machines !!!

I'm watching closely!:clap:

• Like 1

It's off on a tangient, but unfortunatley that's the way my brains wired up. I ride past this house everyday, it's less than a mile into my usual work commute. This morning the small blue wall plaque caught my eye. (I don't know if these are still peculiar to England, but for those unfamiliar with them they denote that someone of importance lived here.)  I knew Roy Chadwick of Avro fame lived on this avenue, but I thought that was few doors down? So I stopped - it was Supermarine owner Hubert Scott Paines home! Relevent here as he funded the 1922 Schneider entry, just before selling Supermarine for a huge sum in 1923.
The descritption underneath is quite frankly aweful. A difficult man to sum up in so few words, so why waste one of them on a project he had no involvment in?! Surely replace Spitfire for Power Boats ...

49608776742_8152f6553a_w.jpg

Daily cycle commute by Mike, on Flickr

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks Mike.

I have found the first link during research, but the link to the build was unknown to me.

The builder is actually a BMer too, who is in fact posting in this same thread.

That’ll be me 😁. Sorry I thought I linked my build in your previous Karaya adventure. 

A couple of the photos you’ve dug up are unknown to me. The one showing the under tail G’s also gives some indication that the tub the engine sits in is not far off if not wholly correct. I’d not found a single photo that showed it during my build.

what I did add was the additional support the goes vertically from the fuselage tail to the tail rudder and the central support to the engine. 

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Quiet Mike said:

It's off on a tangient, but unfortunatley that's the way my brains wired up. I ride past this house everyday, it's less than a mile into my usual work commute. This morning the small blue wall plaque caught my eye. (They denote that someone of importance lived here)  I knew Roy Chadwick of Avro fame lived on this avenue, but I thought that was few doors down? So I stopped - it was Supermarine owner Hubert Scott Paines home! Relevent here as he funded the 1922 Schneider entry, just before selling Supermarine for a huge sum in 1923.
The descritption underneath is quite frankly aweful. A difficult man to sum up in so few words, so why waste one of them on a project he had no involvment in?! Surely replace Spitfire for Power Boats ...

49608776742_8152f6553a_w.jpg

Daily cycle commute by Mike, on Flickr

I'm sorry to say that the blue plaque people don't seem to do all the research they should. 

Unlike model kit producers who go to the nnnth degree........ha ha

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

It's off on a tangient

Thanks for the interesting note, Mike.

Also on a tangent, and for those interested on Schneider matters, here is a PDF on the Italian side of the story, with focus on the SIAI (Savoia) machines:

http://www.avia-it.com/act/cera_una_volta/Echi/CUV_Echi_2016/Seg_art_apr_16/La_SIAI_alla_Schneider.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The headrest area is repaired:

IMG_8721+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

If your sample is marred in the same way, there is another solution: this was actually a sort of box, hinged on the spine, that opened to both sides.

You may remove the affected half and just bend a little piece of thin styrene to simulate the lid and pose it open.

• Like 7

The position to anchor the beaching gear leg varies from plan to instructions. The former indicates under the wing struts, while the latter points out to a location much closer to the fuselage.

IMG_8722+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

In any case, I can't really verify this arrangement in any photo, and Karaya will forgive me if I feel a tad skeptic. The only photo I have (bad and blurry) showing the gear looks more as if the fork is like this sketch below, a normal suspension arrangement in planes, and not mounted over the wheel as in a bicycle front wheel:

IMG_8723+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks for the interesting note, Mike.

Also on a tangent, and for those interested on Schneider matters, here is a PDF on the Italian side of the story, with focus on the SIAI (Savoia) machines:

http://www.avia-it.com/act/cera_una_volta/Echi/CUV_Echi_2016/Seg_art_apr_16/La_SIAI_alla_Schneider.pdf

Off topic but looking at those photos, it seems the S.65 had at least 2 different windscreen designs. Anyways, sorry to derail.

32 minutes ago, Jo B said:

Off topic but looking at those photos, it seems the S.65 had at least 2 different windscreen designs. Anyways, sorry to derail.

It was mentioned, together with other details (different fin/rudder and more), during the WiP for that model here at BM.

• Like 2