building a cover/case or cleaning dioramas

WelshZeCorgi

I've noticed dust buildup on my models and how difficult and time-consuming it can be to clean them without accidently knocking off fragile parts of the model. I can only imagine that doing that plus dusting/cleaning a sizable diorama would be a nightmare. 

So do you build a cover/case for your dioramas, sealing them off so dust does not get on the model themselves? Or do you clean them?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, WelshZeCorgi said:

I've noticed dust buildup on my models and how difficult and time-consuming it can be to clean them without accidently knocking off fragile parts of the model. I can only imagine that doing that plus dusting/cleaning a sizable diorama would be a nightmare. 

So do you build a cover/case for your dioramas, sealing them off so dust does not get on the model themselves? Or do you clean them?

I feel you pain. I've been there. Many years ago I came across a couple display cases that were I'm sure in a retail store somewhere. Kept the heavy dust off but still had to clean my kits and hope I didn't damage any. That in its shelf is a near impossibility. So I take it all in stride.  Back in the early 90's I retired from the USAF and started building diorama for the unit I retired from. I made my cases out of wood and plexiglass. Stained them a medium dark color and screwed the lids to the base with small long wood screws. I apologize for the image quality, but this is the only image of the 8 dioramas I've done.

F-111D-G1

Does show the wood frame and base. This is the diorama without the lid

DoubleTrouble

Hope this gives you an insight on maybe a direction to  do.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

dioramas I've made have gone on display without a case, then cleaned very carefully and usually then placed into boxes to allow others to take their places.   One of my old work colleagues has his models and dioramas in tall display cases.  These days, the smaller scale dioramas go into boxes and to be pulled out later for games use.  Larger ones(1/35th scale or large based dioramas) stay on dust gathering duty in the workshop. ;)