1/72nd Avro York of 241 OCU Mach 2 kit

Mr T

Thanks very much for the comments everyone. I am pleased with how the actual build has gone, although less pleased with the finish. I am not keen on 'silver' finishes, as I struggle to get an even finish not matter what I do. At the stage now where the the last bits are going on, the exhausts and some aerials and rudder balance weights are on and it is standing on its undercarriage. The resin wheels I bought are really worth it. Undercarriage doors and a couple more aerials, then touch up of paint work and final varnish coats. 

• Like 1

This will be the last post before the York goes into the gallery. As the photo shows the kit is not far off done. the remaining props need to go on and some odd bits of paint before a final varnish coat. A challenging build, but quite satisfying in a way spacer.png

Thanks everyone for watching and words of support and encouragement.

Martin

Edited by Mr T
layout
  • Like 10

That York has turned out lovely Mr.T and having just acquired the Derry 'Post war Lanc, Lincoln, York' book yesterday, I'm really starting to warm to a Berlin Airlift York kit. Can't see myself doing as much work as you've done, however do believe there may be a full kit either already released or hopefully soon to be. 

Cheers and well modelled, it's been a great WIP... Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, the Mach2 kits I have heard said, more than little unkindly, as being produced from moulds made of soap. Somewhat exaggerated, but they are challenging and not for the casual modeller. I am not sure I would have tackled one when young, although the Airfix IL2 and Yak 9 I built in 1980 were not that much better in terms of mould quality. Micro Mir promised a York some years back, but has been very quiet for a while. Just my luck for Valom to put one on its website next week. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 10:46 PM, PeterB said:

I used to live on the hill just below Queensbury near Bradford

Queensbury! Where the air is thin and snow lies on the ground well into April! Or at least it did. (I'm from down the hill in Wibsey.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Queensbury! Where the air is thin and snow lies on the ground well into April! Or at least it did. (I'm from down the hill in Wibsey.)

Hi Tony,

I used to live just off Cooper Lane in Horton Bank Top so I spent many happy hours in Wibsey Park. As the saying goes, it is a small world! Wonder if there are still Sticklebacks in the lake?

Pete

15 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Wonder if there are still Sticklebacks in the lake?

I'll take a walk round and have a look next time I visit my mum and dad (which isn't really a thing at the moment!) They still live just off Reevy Road, on what used to be the cricket pitch behind Learoyd and Calverley. Both had the Covid but pulled through thankfully.

(Before BGS I went to St John the Evengelist just off Mandale Road, that would've been up your way... we lived in Buttershaw then... by 'eck it were rough!)

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 8:12 AM, Mr T said:

Peter B and TonyOD, did you ever know of a furniture shop in Bradford called Pratts? Closed in the early mid 1990s.

I only just chanced across this many months later because I was mooching around the Lanc STGB looking for ideas... to answer your question, yes I think I do remember it. High quality furniture I seem to recall. It was along the street from Rawcliffes (Darley Street/North Parade), where I used to buy my school uniform. How did you know it?

Yes, that is the one. I know of it because Mrs T is a close relative of the people who owned it and had shares in it until the sell out. We also have quite a few bits of Pratts furniture from the early part of the twentieth century. The other thing that piqued my interest was that during WW1 Pratts were sub contracted to Pheonix Dynamo to build bits for various aircraft. The shop with new owners is now on Regent St in Leeds.