1/72nd Avro York of 241 OCU Mach 2 kit

Mr T

A question for the experts. Having rather foolishly stuck the outer engine nacelles together with the engine fronts, I am now wondering what type of intakes did Yorks have, looking at the photos I am not sure whether they are 'standard' Lancaster or the tropical FE type. If the latter not sure how I will deal with it. 

I always thought they were Lancaster shaped . Remember the one that came in to Brize in 73 on a Queen Mary , saw the wings and cowlings .. I thought OOOH! a Lancaster , it was a York . It wouldn't surprise me if some Yorks were somewhere really hot , the requirement was that they change them locally .

Here a stack of photos of both

York

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Avro+York&sxsrf=ALeKk03_iK-inmWqsA2mgIoJR5QSzbCKFg:1584301407848&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC2obVnp3oAhUOQEEAHZDRAD8Q_AUoAXoECBQQAw

Lanc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Avro+Lancaster&sxsrf=ALeKk01JVqRZx0kwtT8kxfEDVgTGC4IIgQ:1584301481723&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG1qP4np3oAhVNfMAKHV6uDaoQ_AUoAXoECBgQAw

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the replies. I thought they looked like regular Lancaster ones, but you know what is like when you start looking at photos, you can convince yourself of anything. Some work happening now Hudson very nearly finished. Realised the inner nacelles are almost straight copies of the Airfix kit and so do not fit as the undercarriage bays are too deep because the Mach2 York wings are of thicker plastic than the Airfix ones. Easy to sort out and as a bonus boo seam on the roof of the undercarriage bay. 

Edited by Mr T
Revised some content
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 8:00 AM, Mr T said:

Where I live is under one of the flightpaths into Leeds-Bradford and is where they turn in on finals and all sorts used to appear, but it seems a bit quieter at present. Last thing I noticed out the ordinary was a LOT Airbus diverted from LHR after being stacked  there for about an hour. 

Because of where we live, I wanted to build a Yeadon made York and the OCU was at Dishforth, which was near where Mrs T lived when younger. 

Snap. I used to live on the hill just below Queensbury near Bradford and when I was young we had Daks flying very low over our house in heavy weather from time to time - one so low I thought it was going to hit our huge "H" type TV aerial - Sutton Coldfield transmitter was a long way from our house! Later I think the USAF must have attended an airshow at Yeadon one Saturday as we had a procession of their jets flying under the low cloud cover. Long time ago and visibility (and my memory) were/are poor but certainly B47 and F100 (I think) amongst others. If anybody has any record of that I would love to hear.

Pete

Later - just to explain the TV aerial, when we got out 9" Bakelite Bush TV in 1953 the nearest transmitter was Sutton Coldfield 85 miles away so we had to have a very big aerial to get a signal - the support was probably 10ft tall and the vertical antennae were at least 8 ft long. Later they built the big mast at Emley Moor, and then rebuilt it again after it blew down - because we were in the Pennines and it was hilly the mast had to be very tall and on an exposed ridge.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any details of  an airshow there would be interesting. Put a number of tabs around the fuselage to aid location and they seem to work, The fuselage fits together much easier now but will still take some filling

• Like 1

Some progress now, I have started on the interior and will post pictures when finished. Looking at the canopy, even with polishing it is not going to be crystal clear and what with the framing I am not investing super detail effort into the cockpit. The seats have been cleaned up and thinned down and look better for it. I have trial fitted the canopy and it fits, well sort of.

The props have been cleaned up and fitted to Airfix spinners as I had a set left from a Lincoln conversion I did a few years back. They fitted alright with some fettling and just need some filling around the roots which I think Perfect Plastic Padding will be best as I can apply it and wipe the surplus off with out sanding and probably breaking a blade. A trial fit on to an engine cowling showed a pleasing fit. The fuselage fit is much better after I clamped the sides together and put them in seriously hot water and levelled of the edges. Not perfect, but will  hold the shape now with masking tape. instead of a clamp.  The photos below also show how heavy the detail is on the central fin and the substantial sinkage thereon and also the changes needed to the undercarriage bay.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next thing I am considering is adding the windows before putting the fuselage halves together. There are a lot of them and the fit does not look brilliant. my feeling is that it is going to be marginally easier to put the windows in now, clean and polish and then cover them up until it is time to mask them before painting. Still a hassle, but I reckon better than leaving them till later.

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 9

Would it be worth cutting a section out of the fuselage and inserting a piece of clear plastic rather than individual windows? 

Quickboost do a set of carb intakes for the lancaster. You’ve done a lovely job on them engines, they’d finish them off nicely :)

I have never had much luck with cutting out the windows and strip system and at present the time is unlikely to be an issue as will be self isolating. Will look into the cars, although to be honest the kit ones aren't bad. Thanks for the suggestions, it what makes Britmodeller so good. 

• Like 2

To my 'calibrated' eye it looks like those windows might be the same size as a regular hole punch. If thats the case, just place a strip of Tamiya tape onto a thickish piece of clear plastic sheet (like A4 clear paper cover / protection sheet etc). and punch away to your hearts content. At least you will know the windows will be the same size. This whole project is looking lovely and what better way to remember your self isolation than to look back on a model and say "wow that was 2020 - what a weird year that was?"

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clearfix etc, was my first thought, but it can be a bit messy and does not always dry flat, especially on bigger windows where you get that Tudor window effect popular in the seventies. I actually fitted four of the kit windows last night as a try out and they were all the same size and fitted quite well. This kit is full of surprises good and bad. Compared to the Comet all the windows line as well. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, woody37 said:

... or they push through when masking or de-masking!

How true is that! I’ve got a 90% completed SEAC Mosquito where one of the underwing landing lights rattles inside the wing. It’s been on the SOD for years now! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

Tamiya Extra Thin Cement which has a fine brush or Glue n'Glaze or some new stuff from Mig Ammo that have I just got. The trick is to let everything set hard and overcoat with Klear or something similar

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 2

Great progress. I was also going to suggest Krystal Klear but the windows may be too big.

Following with interest, still haven't given mine another look though 🙄

Davey.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, Silver Fox said:

dad was a tool maker at Yeadon for Avro in the war. He started out on Ansons and then moved to Lancasters and latterly Yorks  before  leaving. I grew up near LBA or Yeadon as I still call it and  spend a lot of my youth watching lanes from the hill behind the light aircraft hanger.

Nt useful information I know but I will be following this one as I have  slightly personal interest in it and anyone tackling a Mach 2 kit needs support!🙂

I wonder if your father met my Grandfather? He was Jig and Tool Foreman at AVRO's Newton Heath and travelled to Leeds to help set up the Yeadon production line.

Mind you he is more famous in our family for the work he did in altering the Manchester wing Jig drawings to produced Lancaster wings, something he did on his own kitchen table after his shift was over.

• Like 3

Not to hijack the thread but have you seen the book "Mother  Worked at Avro"? by Gerald Myers.. Well worth a look if you are interested in the Yeadon site. I bet they weren't hoarding toilet paper... Sadly it is hugely expense on Amazon. If you pm me his name I'll see if there is any reference to him

Some more progress since the last update. Cockpit has been finished and painted. In the end I added some seatbelts from tape and armrests for the pilot seats Radio operators and navigators(?) seats are virtually invisible I have now discovered. Given the likely transparency of the canopy even after treatment and the framing, I am not adding any more detail.

spacer.png

The Fuselage has been joined to together with a combination of superglue and accelerator and liquid poly with clamping and taping and a good range of expletives. Going to let the fuselage set hard before sanding down the the very obvious join and using Miliput for the joints as it holds well doesn't shrink overmuch and will help level up the lower fuselage that has a distinct dip at the join of the fuselage halves and always has despite trying to persuade it otherwise.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The last picture is a bit darker to highlight the wonderful join that has resulted, even after much fettling before the halves were finally joined.

This morning I had the unusual experience of modelling during the day and used it to prep the other wing and start on the tail surfaces. I was going to use the Airfix tailplane and elevators, but now going to stick with the kits as they are not that bad when cleaned up and they have been altered to fit the fuselage and so I reckon by the time I had messed about with the Airfix ones,  the kit one might as well be used. The end plate fins and rudders have the correct shape and have quite thin trailing edges. This kit continues to surprise as a  trial fit the canopy before the fuselage halves were joined  showed a reasonable  fit.

• Like 8

A great choice Mr T.

I made a Mach 2 Do.26 way back, and its clear parts looked just like yours (although obviously a different shape!).  A dip in Klear made things surprising better :).

Cheers

• Thanks 1

One good thing about the York whilst I am in self isolation, it generates some exercise! I have had two applications of Miliput on the fuselage seams and some short shot on the wings and tail. The latter were easily sorted, but the fuselage is taking some doing. The pictures below are a bit dark to try and bring out the contrast between the off white plastic and the white Miliput

spacer.png

spacer.png

In other news, the undercarriage bays have been blanked off to remove the void, the fit will not be perfect owing to the unevenness , but that is what water based fillers like Perfect Plastic Padding have been designed for.

spacer.png

We are getting there slowly but surely.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, woody37 said:

It’s beginning to look like a York now, you’re showing your assertiveness against the kit well!

Thanks for that. Started attaching a wing to the fuselage and there is problem. If you just put the wings straight on then you will have the first swept wing York. Just looking the wing roots it is not obvious. Sorted out with a lot shims and copy of plans. The other wing seems to have a different sweep angle so more fun. Photos to follow when both wings on.

• Like 4

You're doing a great job, nearly wanting me to do mine🙄. The top of the fuselage halves on mine look like an undulating country road! Good heads up about the main wings as well. When I look at the parts it seems almost as if the sprues have been ejected when the plastic hasn't quite hardened?

:goodjob:

Davey.

The whole kit is a bit weird. Some thought has been given to getting the York bits right, but the execution seems to be flawed in terms of moulding quality etc. For example my kit has quite a few surface flaws and the moulding is clearly fairly low pressure. Still I am enjoying the challenge even if there are moments of frustration. In a way much more enjoyable than the Tamiya Thunderbolt that is also ongoing in the background. 

• Like 1