1/72nd Avro York of 241 OCU Mach 2 kit

Mr T

29th February has come at last and my contribution to this group build is going to be an Avro York flown by 241 OCU at RAF Dishforth in what is now North Yorkshire. The aircraft chosen is MW285 built by Avro at the Yeadon Factory next to Leeds-Bradford airport and delivered to 1332 Heavy Conversion Unit in May 1946. After an accident it was repaired by Avro and returned to 1332 HCU in June 1947 being coded 'YY-M'. It retained this coding when the unit was remained No241 OCU in January 1948. MW285 was used in the Berlin Airlift and after further repair and modification was despatched to 23 MU for storage in November 1949. It was never used again and Struck of Charge and sold for scrap in January 1952.

The basis for my model is going to be Mach2 York kit that I acquired at Telford last year. Why? because a) it is the only York kit around at the moment, CMR conversions not being common and b) I am either some sort of modelling Jedi Knight (not likely) or a masochist and will build this kit whilst listening to Tom Lehrer playing 'The Masochism Tango'. Mach2 kits have a reputation for being a bit crude and a challenge and there may be something in that. However, credit where credit is due and some effort has been made to ensure the wing span is right and the wheels are more appropriate to a post war York (although I have some resin replacements) and the exhausts are unshrouded. It looks as if the 1980 Airfix Lanc kit  has been used as a basis for the kit and this will help in the build as some parts of the kit can be replaced by something better moulded. Some photos of what I am going to be building. 

49595902078_702c1a150c_k_d.jpg

Somewhat flimsy box used for all Mach2 kits with a picture stuck on. so what is inside?

49596399821_283bd5703c_k_d.jpg

Although not apparent from the photo, there are a lot of prominent mould seams and some lumps of plastic in awkward places. I foresee a lot of filling and fettling to come

49596648482_9678c06419_k_d.jpg

A somewhat cruel shot, but the transparencies could be a lot better and there a lot of them.

49596648202_334d4c3017_k_d.jpg

A full set of concise clear and detailed instructions, this kit is meant for the experienced modeller.

49596647452_596c683248_k_d.jpg

Decals are laser printed with what looks like a 'normal' sheet of backing decals. Only the post war roundels are likely to be used on my model, which according to the photo I have lacked underwing roundels

49596400506_d9cde205e7_k_d.jpg

Ho-hum, this going to be a fun build, good job vacforms and Magna resins have formed part of my CV

49595901218_141fb4557d_k_d.jpg

I have printed off paper copies of my intended markings for sizing purposes and nearer the time I will print on to inkjet decal paper. The serials will be no problem from previous experience and to the best of my abilities the unit badge should fit the backing decal. The badges have a few spares on the decal sheet and so can overlay to improve colour depth if necessary. The badge is a heavily edited picture and is the correct 241 OCU badge. I have a photo of MW285 from the internet which shows it to be overall 'silver' with postwar roundels and what look like wither black or red spinners. No underwing roundels. The photo is copyrighted, but a Google search for 241 OCU will bring it up.

Hoping to make some progress this week before going away for a couple of days down to London as part of my birthday treat from the beginning of the month. I feel that this is not going to be a fast build

• Like 16

Watching with interest. I started a thread on the WIP section, just got as far as taking photos and sprue shots, been shying away from it ever since! Compares well to drawings in the 'Warpaint'  book, a few mm's too long but looks good for other dimensions. Best of luck.

Davey

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

You should build this C.II version.

I know I am taking on a task here, but even I am not that mad

• Haha 5

Thanks for the support and I hope I can crack this one as not a cheap kit. I am using the Warpaint and also an old Aviation News mini-monograph on the type. Some shots of the preserved ones at Duxford and Cosford also seem to useful. Stuck one of the outer engine nacelles to get some idea feel for the plastic, which actually is not too bad, which is just as well given the amount of sanding that will be required. 

• Like 3

Did think of using more parts from the Airfix kit, but I felt it was more in keeping with spirit of the GB. I also am limiting costs as my relatively generous pension will only go so far before questions would be asked. 

I also wanted to see whether a Mach2 kit is as bad to build as rumoured. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 5

Quick update, but no photos as yet (to follow prob Wednesday) Started on the York and not surprisingly every part will need work on it. The undercarriage legs, doors and prop spinners definitely are coming off the 1980 Airfix kit as well as the tail plane and elevators. Not sure about other parts. The good news is that contrary to what I might have expected, the plastic is quite easy to work and takes Tamiya and other quite 'hot' plastic cements quite well. One wing and an  engine nacelle are together and although needing filler are not too bad looking. The cockpit will need some work as the seats, are seriously clunky. 

• Like 5

Good going Mr.T, this will be a big challenge to get through although we can all sense the huge satisfaction you’ll receive once you make it to the finish line. 
Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, of course when we are all quarantined at home during the coronvirus epidemic there will be plenty of modelling time and I might get it finished by end of the Group build. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A bit of a slip up caused  by over confidence. I had assembled one of the outer nacelles and when I tried it out on the wing realised something was wrong. I knew the nacelles were handed and thought I had stuck the right halves together, but I had not and had to take the nacelle apart and reassemble with the correct parts. My own fault, but not helped by the instructions or the parts layout. Live and learn. 

• Sad 4

Whilst building / assembling my first four engined model in quite a number of years, I'm also getting close to falling in the same trap! It's modelling and no matter how many years we have all been playing at this silly old game, it's moments like these that keep you well grounded. Chin up, she'll be right! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As promised, but later than I said owing to circumstances beyond my control, here is a photo of the first parts of the York. As you can see some filler has been required and a bit of fettling. Progress is likely to be slow for another week or so as I finish my MPM Hudson off. It is at the decalling stage (was going to use the kit decals, but the chosen airframe markings bear little resemblance to the kit decals). It is the only occupant of my Shelf of Doom and it needs to be finished as it has been sat around for years and I am not impressed by it as a kit. Perhaps not the best kit to be doing before the York, but once it is clear I can crack on. I have cleaned up the props which actually are too bad a fit into the Airfix spinners

spacer.png

• Like 9

My memory could well be playing tricks but I think I might have actually seen a Skyways or maybe Dan Air York in the early 1960's either at Ringway or Heathrow. Unfortunately most of my early B&W pics from those days have fallen out of the old album, though I think there is one of an Air France Deux Ponts/Provence which may have been "spotted" on the same day. Actually, if it was Dan Air I suppose it could even have been Yeadon (as it probably was then) as a lot of their old planes turned up there including an Ambassador with very squeaky wheels/brakes. My late uncle helped to build the "new" runway after it became Leeds/Bradford which is probably why it has/had a noticeable hump in it - planes were hidden initially as they came "up the hill" and then suddenly appeared just before lifting off like in the one time oft shown sequence of a Lightning appearing through the haze and then climbing almost vertically - anybody remember that? Happy days.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I think I might have actually seen a Skyways or maybe Dan Air York

You would have . Dan-Air had one at Lasham after it went out of service in the mid 60s ,used for the Air Cadet's hut . They got a Comet 4 when Dans took the York back and it was sat outside the hangars there with an Ambassador and Dakota . The York ended up at Duxford , think the Ambo is there too . Skyways Yorks ,I remember them at LHR , they were used for RAF contracts moving Blokes and families round the world . My ex SWMBO in law flew to Libya from UK in one , late 50s ,she gave me the postcard she got on the flight ( not all bad then !)

I've worked on a York at Brize in 1973 (not much use on my CV was it ?) My dad was on Yorks ,Hastings and Daks during the Berlin Airlift at Schleswig Holstein and Berlin

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

Where I live is under one of the flightpaths into Leeds-Bradford and is where they turn in on finals and all sorts used to appear, but it seems a bit quieter at present. Last thing I noticed out the ordinary was a LOT Airbus diverted from LHR after being stacked  there for about an hour. 

Because of where we live, I wanted to build a Yeadon made York and the OCU was at Dishforth, which was near where Mrs T lived when younger. 

• Like 3

dad was a tool maker at Yeadon for Avro in the war. He started out on Ansons and then moved to Lancasters and latterly Yorks  before  leaving. I grew up near LBA or Yeadon as I still call it and  spend a lot of my youth watching lanes from the hill behind the light aircraft hanger.

Nt useful information I know but I will be following this one as I have  slightly personal interest in it and anyone tackling a Mach 2 kit needs support!🙂

• Like 3

My mother's cousin worked at the Yeadon factory during the war. I have always understood she worked on the Anson production line but who knows? 

Pete

• Like 2

This is the first I've ever heard about Avro building aircraft in Yeadon .. How did I miss that ? My new thing learned for today ..

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 10:28 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Didn't Churchill have one of these as personal transport ?

Yes ,also a Liberator at some point