Advice for airbrushing Tamiya XF-16?

Antoine

Hi  guys,

It's been some time since the last time I used the whole range of Tamiya's acrylics, and it seems that I've forgotten some basics.

IIRC, XF-16 was a bit specific, and I would appreciate if anyone could share his experience with this paint.

Thanks in advance.

XF-16, Tamiya aluminium? Specific how? Same as all the others, just full of heavy metallic pigment, so a really good stir before use and if airbrushing add some thinners. Other than that pretty straight forward to use. Not such a great paint to be honest. If it's specifically aluminium you're after, there's better alternatives out there, Mr Color or Alclad for example..

• Like 1

I brush painted some on the interior of my Airfix Hurricane. It was an old jar and the paint had gone a bit thick. I thinned it with some distilled water until it looked thin enough. I then put a small bit into another small container and added a wee bit of X-20A thinner and a drop or two of Tamiya paint retarder. It worked quite well. 

Mind you, it was just a small area that I was painting.

49596479748_09dbfcec04_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

I think it's fine, if very metalliccy looking, as the metal flakes show - when I paint it anyway! 😃  Actually painting it seems no different to any other Tamiya.  But...

It (or any other metallic) are always planned as the last in a session as a proper strip and clean of the airbrush is required or the next few colours will be metallic too...

Don't ask how I know this.

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1