Molotow liquid chrome nib clogging up?

A_S

Hi All

Only got the pen yesterday but already ive had it clog up and stop flowing several times, usually after about 5 minutes. A mix of hot water and xylene thinners seem to clear it but it just clogs up again. I am not sure if its me, if this is normal or if the pen is faulty?

Any one experienced similar or know how to clean the nib to solve this?

If I recall (not at home right now) you have to push the tip in against what you're painting to get the paint going, depending on what surface you're painting on. As if there's a little spring in there. Depending on how porous the surface is, the more/less often you'll have to press to get the paint flowing.

If you've been depressing it and nothing's coming out, it may be a bum pen.

• 3 months later...

Just don't keep repeatedly pushing in the pen tip on your model because you'll end up with a rush of ink and a big chrome lake on your model, ask me how I know. After similar experiences to the OP I have found that the best way to use this pen (for me wanting to paint oleo struts etc on model aircraft) is to actually do the above and dump a blob of ink onto an old credit card or similar and then pick up the ink with a thin paint brush and do the work the traditional way. Trying to manage the flow from the pen straight onto the model parts is asking for trouble in my experience.

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Just don't keep repeatedly pushing in the pen tip on your model because you'll end up with a rush of ink and a big chrome lake on your model, ask me how I know. After similar experiences to the OP I have found that the best way to use this pen (for me wanting to paint oleo struts etc on model aircraft) is to actually do the above and dump a blob of ink onto an old credit card or similar and then pick up the ink with a thin paint brush and do the work the traditional way. Trying to manage the flow from the pen straight onto the model parts is asking for trouble in my experience.

Duncan B

Agreed.

Rick.

• Like 1