E-Class Destroyer Deck

Bluey1883

Have hold of Tamiya's 1/700 E Class Destroyer which is making fro a nice build, but despite the range of reference available on colour schemes their is virtually no info around deck colours, can anybody got any info on this or can point me in the direction of some reference material. I got a couple of Shipcraft books and Angus Konstam's Destroyer series but nothing in any of these that helps.

Thanks

Andy

The latex trowel-on non-slip deck coatings e.g. Semtex, Supertex or Aranbee hadn't appeared at this point, dark grey paint was in use on decks. In addition, linoleum products were in more extensive use in peacetime although the documents I've read are more in the context of which internal areas it was to be stripped from during wartime to reduce fire hazard, so I couldn't say with certainty where it would be found externally.

Thanks Jamie, so guess I can safely say that she would have been painted  all over Home fleet Grey so 507A/B, with a dark grey deck, have read a number of references relating to Corticene and seen a number of models completed using this, but reference as to when it was introduced and how extensively it was used  is scant, any ideas around its use?

Hi,

Strictly speaking in 1935/early 36 it would have been the pre-Jubilee version of Admiralty Pattern 507B which was somewhat glossy but had a little less blue pigment in it (but still some, so it wasn't a neutral grey).

I.e. this

NARN07_2048x2048.jpg?v=1579876994

...compared to the final version introduced for the Jubilee in 1936

NARN20rgb_b3bea0c5-5396-4151-815b-6f40fe

Corticene was one particular brand of linoleum which would be laid on decks. Its use pre-war isn't something I have too much information on, although it fell out of favour once the war started. I feel like its external use would have been selective rather than the Japanese practise of covering everything with the stuff. Photos would be needed to decifer that though. In good quality photos metal fastening strips can give away the locations of the stuff.