Junkers Ju 87R-2, Greece, 1941 ***FINISHED***

DaveyGair

Pretty late to the party, had a quiet 2019 modelling wise, ending with a major health scare a couple of weeks before Christmas, followed by major surgery which was successful, followed by a return to hospital because of an infection. (Deep breath!)

So, while I've got a few months recovery, so no grandkids to childmind, and with SWMBO's permission 🙄, I'm gonna try and crack on with a few GB's these next few months.

For this one I'm easing my way back into things with hopefully a nice straightforward build, Airfix's nice looking new tool Ju 87, in this case an R-2 from the Dog-Fight Double boxing paired with a Gloster Gladiator (which will get built sometime).

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0011

I'm going to have a go at brush painting this, I've been using an airbrush since I got back into modelling a few years ago now, but I do that in the loft, and my wife may be a tad reluctant to let me up there for the time being while I recover from the op!

I made a start on assembly, everything going together well enough. I like how Airfix have included two pilot's seats, one with belts and one without. Mine is going to be displayed on the ground so have used the one with the belts in place.

DSC_0012

Onwards and upwards!

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
missing word
  • Like 5

Got some painting done today, nearly ready to close up and assemble the airframe.  Interior painted in Vallejo RLM 02 (hopefully correct for this model?)  Used Vallejo Dark Umber wash to create shadows then a light drybrush in Humbrol Gunmetal.

Used the kit decal for the instruments (there is no moulded on detail), I think it looks OK, just needs flattened down with a bit of Matt Varnish.

DSC_0013 DSC_0014 DSC_0015 DSC_0017

Criticism, comments and suggestions most welcome.

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 6

Looking good Davey👍

There's a few of these kits being built in the GB so it's been a popular choice. 

I look forward to your next update.

Cheers Greg🍺

• Like 1

Welcome aboard - better late than never. And good to hear hat your health scare is behind you and things are improving. You already made great progress and the cockpit looks smashing :thumbsup:

Enjoy your build.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Been getting on with assembling the airframe.  I had a little difficulty with the nose, it didn't quite want to fit when joining the rest of the fuselage although it ended OK as the cement wasn't quite set. With hindsight it may have been better to build up the nose around the fuselage, not to complete the whole thing then join it?

I cemented the tail-planes while placing the supports without gluing in place, this just to make things a little easier when painting.

The odd little bit of filler is probably more my bad assembly than the fit of the kit!

I never knew there was some sort of optical device above the main bomb cradle, was this to aim the bomb or just to make sure it had released properly?

Davey.

DSC_0025 DSC_0026

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

Optical device or the pilot's aiming window? Have a look at the Wikipedia article on the Ju-87. They explain the bombing process and the use of the window. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87 

Your build is looking great.

Ray

• Like 1

Been a bit under the weather, then discovered I was dehydrating again (the reason for my return to hospital after my op) so been in and out hospital for fluids and blood tests, me and some of the staff are virtually on first name terms! 

On the mend so cracking on with this. Got some paint on, first time brush painting since wargaming stuff 20 year ago, not great at it. 

The RLM 65 is Humbrol  Acrylic with went on OK but seemed to dry very 'powdery'?

A few coats of RLM 70 is XtraAcylic which I have found difficult to airbrush at times, and I'm not so sure I'm doing a great job with 'Hairy Stick'!

Don't look too hard, still along way from finished and I'm adding the undercarriage and all the rest of the stuff that lives underneath separately.

Davey.

DSC_0029 DSC_0030 DSC_0031 DSC_0032

• Like 3

Been getting some more paint on, The RLM 70/71 is XtraAcrylic which I'm still getting to grips with, tried thinning and a retarder but it dries really quickly (like all Acrylics) and still find it hard not to get brush strokes, but I'll keep practicing!. I used Humbrol Acrylic 65 for the RLM 65 but thought it looked far too blue, so ended up brushing on Vallejo ModelAir RLM 65 which I think looks better, if a little dark.

As I built up the upper colours, which needed lots of coats, I liked the very low contrast between the two, which often shows up on photo's so have resisted lightening the lighter Green.

Lots more to do yet, touching up the main paint, then adding the tanks and bomb, aerials etc, and painting and adding the canopies.

Looking like a Stuka now!

DSC_0056 DSC_0057 DSC_0058 DSC_0059 DSC_0061

• Like 4

• DaveyGair changed the title to Junkers Ju 87R-2, Greece, 1941 ***FINISHED***

Got this finished today, I have to admit that my brush painting skills leave a bit to be desired but is something I will work on.  I have a bit of a shake in the old hands now so painting the canopy frames was a little difficult and I should have maybe tried the painted tape method.

I had a disaster with the decals, namely somehow tipping a half a bottle of Micro Sol over the sheet! I wasn't going to use all of the stencils, but I could only rescue one of the warning triangles for the fuselage. Fortunately I had already placed the main markings and the shield badges on the fuselage sides.

I'm pleased with the overall look and was happy with the fit of the parts, and how the decals went on.

See you in the 'In the Navy' GB!

Davey.

DSC_0065 DSC_0067 DSC_0071

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Well done :clap2:In regards to the canopy frames, a toothpick  works well to remove (scrape away) paint where not needed.

Cheers, Peter

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done Davy, that looks the goods from where I'm sitting. :)

Steve.

Thanks, but I'm going back to airbrushing, I've moved the gear down from the loft, with permission from the boss of course, and all ready to go. 

I use a toothpick Peter, even get a bit of bleed when masked. I'll get round to tidying the frames up sometime.

Davey.

Davey,

Nice build, you can be rightfully proud considering the challenges you faced. Good to see you can get that airbrush into action - in the hobby there were two game changes for me, my airbrush and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement.

Ray 

• Like 1

Hi Davey,

well done! This is a beautiful model you have achieved. I have seldom seen a kit that got built without at least one challenge or disaster!!!

The end result is great!!!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1