B Mk VII Tiger Force, eighth one off the line!

Worms

I have found 2 photos that show the difference between the two styles of bulged doors.

With the B.II, you can see where the bulge starts back from the front edge of the door:

49635265473_b5d454639b_b.jpg

With the later door, you can see that it starts right at the front edge:

49635789306_abbd8fd7c6_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have found 2 photos that show the difference between the two styles of bulged doors.

With the B.II, you can see where the bulge starts back from the front edge of the door:

49635265473_b5d454639b_b.jpg

With the later door, you can see that it starts right at the front edge:

49635789306_abbd8fd7c6_b.jpg

Chris

And a ventral turret on the Mk X!

Of course the ventral turret probably had to be deleted if they were fitted with H2S. I know there is some debate about how effective it might have been against the Schrage Musik technique, but I believe that only Canadian operated Mk II's made regular use of it. I seem to remember that when fitted with H2S some had a DIY single ventral gun, but could be wrong.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

28 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Of course the ventral turret probably had to be deleted if they were fitted with H2S. I know there is some debate about how effective it might have been against the Schrage Musik technique, but I believe that only Canadian operated Mk II's made regular use of it. I seem to remember that when fitted with H2S some had a DIY single ventral gun, but could be wrong.

Pete

That was my understanding too Pete.

Still haven't received any info on NX618 yet!

2 minutes ago, Worms said:

Whilst we're at it, does anybody know whether the cockpit internal colours changed with the B Mk VIIs?

Not sure but as the Lincoln still appears to have had the Lanc style black front and grey/green rear according to the link Laurie sent me on my Lincoln conversion thread, I expect the B VII was the same.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeterB said:

Not sure but as the Lincoln still appears to have had the Lanc style black front and grey/green rear according to the link Laurie sent me on my Lincoln conversion thread, I expect the B VII was the same.

Pete

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me too!

• Like 1

I dont think I recall seein a Mk.II with H2s fitted ??

On both the bulge bomb door photos you can see that there was an additional short  fairing beneath the aircraft so as to blend the doors in,

fitting H2s would involve removing that short fairing  which I dont think happened  . . . 

The MK.II's used the GH blind bombing system rather than H2s bombing system 

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mancunian airman said:

On both the bulge bomb door photos you can see that there was an additional short  fairing beneath the aircraft so as to blend the doors in,

fitting H2s would involve removing that short fairing  which I dont think happened  . . . 

I do have a drawing (artistic) of a B Mk II with and H2S dome fitted but this was again, from Defford so probably experimental...Serial no. was LL736!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Yes, though I have seen Lancs with the later bomb doors without the fairing.

And on B.I/III's, if fitted with H2S, there wasn't anywhere to fit a manually operated gun

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of work on the office as there isn't much detail in the second moulding! Navigator/wireless operators table and chairs are made of card. Bits of sprue are used for other bits.

VEJ8XK.jpg

• Like 3

The cockpit is getting busier, still a bit more to do but getting there. The chart in front of the navigator is a miniaturised 1945 USAAF bombing chart of Kobe, Japan's second largest city and a centre of industry.

BFg1EP.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Worms said:

... bombing chart of Kobe

A fairly typical target for our Tiger Force Lancs one would think? Nice attention to detail and although I can’t exactly make out the map, I’ll have to take your word for it! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Great start! I love Defford/Croome Court, it’s just down the road from me and a lot of the things tested were from Malvern where I used to live, so I’m interested as to what you find out. 

I thought I had pictures from there of the Lancaster's and some Lincoln’s that flew there but can find them. If I do I’ll pop them on here, might help.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Fuselage together and some filler.  The fuselage halves were quite warped and their seems to be no logic to where the high spots are... high at th front port and high at rear starboard!

8YuoEi.jpg

Nav lights drilled out and location holes for the H2S dome.

gEEgFe.jpg i 

• Like 3

VGY.ME, the image hosting site that I use is down at the moment so unfortunately no pics of a white Lancaster!...I still can't get my head round the odd colour scheme 😳

On 30/03/2020 at 22:41, rob85 said:

Great start! I love Defford/Croome Court, it’s just down the road from me and a lot of the things tested were from Malvern where I used to live, so I’m interested as to what you find out. 

I thought I had pictures from there of the Lancaster's and some Lincoln’s that flew there but can find them. If I do I’ll pop them on here, might help.

Rob

Hi Rob, I managed to miss your post somehow. That would be great if you could find some photos! I'm not a million miles away in north Herefordshire and spent quite a lot of time working near there off and on for a few years before I got back into modelling. I went there once for a Morris Minor Club meeting in my old Traveller (sadly now sold) and unfortunately failed dismally to get the ex Mrs. Worms to permit me to visit the museum... (she was interested in wartime stuff...as long as it was to do with the RN!).

I was born close to there as well (Rushwick) and everybody knew someone or had a relative that worked or had worked at RRE/RSRE in Malvern... which was a great stamping ground of mine as a young man…Malvern Winter Gardens, the Nag’s Head, Red Lion, the Unicorn, the little bar under the Great Malvern Hotel…the Wyche Inn when I got my first motorcycle…Happy days!

I'm one of the few people that has quite a lot of work at the moment so I'm having to squeeze my modelling into weekends between tending to the aged dog and some sheep about to lamb...oh, and (current) Mrs. Worms of course 🙊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Worms said:

Hi Rob, I managed to miss your post somehow. That would be great if you could find some photos! I'm not a million miles away in north Herefordshire and spent quite a lot of time working near there off and on for a few years before I got back into modelling. I went there once for a Morris Minor Club meeting in my old Traveller (sadly now sold) and unfortunately failed dismally to get the ex Mrs. Worms to permit me to visit the museum... (she was interested in wartime stuff...as long as it was to do with the RN!).

I was born close to there as well (Rushwick) and everybody knew someone or had a relative that worked or had worked at RRE/RSRE in Malvern... which was a great stamping ground of mine as a young man…Malvern Winter Gardens, the Nag’s Head, Red Lion, the Unicorn, the little bar under the Great Malvern Hotel…the Wyche Inn when I got my first motorcycle…Happy days!

I'm one of the few people that has quite a lot of work at the moment so I'm having to squeeze my modelling into weekends between tending to the aged dog and some sheep about to lamb...oh, and (current) Mrs. Worms of course 🙊

As someone who grew up in Rushwick, lived in Malvern and works in Hereford I could not help but chuckle at the above. 

sounds like your doing a bit of farming, busy days! I remember helping my granddad with the sheep and lambs as a kid, I remember they had to put a couple who were barely alive in an oven to save them as there had been a real cold snap! My grandparents lived on a farm near Elmley Castle.

hope your keeping safe!

Rob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

As someone who grew up in Rushwick, lived in Malvern and works in Hereford I could not help but chuckle at the above. 

sounds like your doing a bit of farming, busy days! I remember helping my granddad with the sheep and lambs as a kid, I remember they had to put a couple who were barely alive in an oven to save them as there had been a real cold snap! My grandparents lived on a farm near Elmley Castle.

hope your keeping safe!

Rob

When were you in Rushwick Rob?