617 Squadron grandslam Lancaster PD117 YZ-L FINISHED 10/5

Rafwaffe

16 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

What are the decal options in the box ?

The artwork shows a post-war aircraft of 15 Squadron  . . . . which would be difference again

Decal options are:

15 Sqn. PD131, LS-V

15 Sqn. PD127, LS-S 

617 Sqn. PB996, YZ-C

Will have to source/utilise my own decals to build the aircraft I am building

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking if you've made any progress on this as yet Alex? Just realised we've actually got the same kit although I'm doing a late / post war bomber version rather than Grand Slam. 

Cheers.. Dave 

No progress yet. With home being busy with demanding toddler and work being flat out with current events hoping to make a  start this weekend!

will post pics as proof of paint/glue being applied!

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice start. Can I recommend filling and sanding all those side windows before you cement the fuselage together. It took me three goes to get it to an ‘acceptable’ state. 
Cheers.. Dave 

17 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's nice to see this one under way :popcorn:

Cheers

It's slow going, but I will get there (have some leave from work coming up next week. fingers crossed!)

16 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

First time I have seen a Hasagwa kit made up so I am interested in the components and the fitment.

Naturally I look forward to seeing a Grand Slam bomber . . . 

I will make sure I include  some commentary on the fit and and how the build goes/any issues I find

Sorry for the delayed response; unfortunately we had a sick toddler last night which put the kybosh on any hobby plans whihc may have existed...

Edited by Rafwaffe
spelling
  • Like 3

Some more (slow) progress. 
will need to do some filling when dry but I think that’s more due to my clumsiness with photo etch and resin additions rather than any shortcomings with Hasegawa’s mouldings...

And yes I jumped ahead. I really wanted to have the Grand Slam for comparison against the Fuselage.

Glue at last!

49760912362_870196ecb3_b.jpg

49760682356_44b20cd2a1_b.jpg

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 4

Looking great Alex. I recommend you test the outboard engine alignment on your kit as mine (and no doubt all Hasegawa kits) have a tendency to look angled in (or canted). I was alerted to this fact before I started my kit so just passing on some good advice to get yours right too. You will see what I mean when you test fit your engines. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking great Alex. I recommend you test the outboard engine alignment on your kit as mine (and no doubt all Hasegawa kits) have a tendency to look angled in (or canted). 

Now she’s looking like a lanc (just not as we know it!) not convinced that I’ve gotten those outboard engines right they also look canted inwards (wish i had seen the message about engines before I stuck them on yesterday 🤦‍♂️)  ah well she’s creeping closer to being finished.

49772377128_62731a4558_b.jpg

49772907291_be7da9faaa_b.jpg

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 8

No progress to show for tonight’s work just been doing a lot of clean up of seams and obvious gaps/ridges (especially on the engine nacelles)

Cleaning up

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 5

Fuselage has a few coats down. Using three different brands of dark earth over RAAF earth brown to avoid monochrome brown.

Starting to look the part but as well as overestimating my skill with putty some of my errors in assembly are standing out now paint is being applied with the side windows and some areas showing I could have cleaned up better or spent more time ensuring a better fit  of parts.  That mid upper blanking plate is going to haunt me.

At least the great RAF dark green paint spill of 2020 (thank to furry interloper) missed the model. After the clean up I think I need to lie down. Will get back to it tomorrow night if I get some time after work and everyone’s asleep. Will keep fingers crossed resupply of paints arrives soon!

Fueselage first layers of dark earth

Paint Fueselage first layers of dark earth

Last cost for tonight

Edited by Rafwaffe
One more coat of paint
  • Like 4