F-6B Photo Recon Mustang

Hello, Britmodeler! This is my first ever RFI here. I hope you like what I’ve got to offer. This is the second time I’ve built this kit in these markings. I’m a big fan of the scheme, as well as the fact that it’s an Allison engined Mustang, and it’s got a camera and a Malcom hood, to boot! Here’s the WIP thread:

This is probably my best build to date. I tried the marbling technique on the final finish, and it turned out very well, even if the photos done show it. I tried my hand at taking some pictures with a DSLR and a photo tent my wife got me for Christmas... expert photographer I am not. Without further ado, here's the pics. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
And finally, here's an awesome photo I found of Major Russ Berg, the pilot of this aircraft. He had quite the military career, serving in Korea and retiring in 1970.

spacer.png

Questions, comments, and constructive criticism are welcome! Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by RadMax8
Added link to WIP
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Great looking Allison Mustang. :worthy:... May I make one little comment though ? This is an Allison engined plane so it should be an F-6A the “B” through “D” were Merlin powered. This has the carburetor intake on top of the Cowling for the Allisons downdraft carb. The R.R.Merlin had an updraft Carb. And the intake below the chin. 
E8qQG2Z.jpg

http://www.crazyhorseap.be/Mustangs/History/MustangIA/P-51_01.htm

Again Great build and please dont think I'm trying to put the work down, just trying to help with correct terms. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Allison Mustang. :worthy:... May I make one little comment though ? This is an Allison engined plane so it should be an F-6A the “B” through “D” were Merlin powered. This has the carburetor intake on top of the Cowling for the Allisons downdraft carb. The R.R.Merlin had an updraft Carb. And the intake below the chin. 
E8qQG2Z.jpg

http://www.crazyhorseap.be/Mustangs/History/MustangIA/P-51_01.htm

Again Great build and please dont think I'm trying to put the work down, just trying to help with correct terms. 

Dennis

Thank you Dennis - most informative!

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking Allison Mustang. :worthy:... May I make one little comment though ? This is an Allison engined plane so it should be an F-6A the “B” through “D” were Merlin powered. 

This is not correct. The F-6A is the photo variant of P-51 (RAF Mustang Mk IA), while the F-6B is the same airframe as P-51A (RAF Mustang Mk II). So the model is indeed an F-6B.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Nice work!  Do you know if Major Russ Berg flew F-51’s in Korea? Any pics?

I don’t think he flew F-51s at all, his bio on the USAF site says he flew jet recon planes, so I’m assuming the RF-84, but my knowledge on Korean recon birds is extremely limited. 

2 hours ago, ragnarec said:

This is not correct. The F-6A is the photo variant of P-51 (RAF Mustang Mk IA), while the F-6B is the same airframe as P-51A (RAF Mustang Mk II). So the model is indeed an F-6B.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle as @ragnarec mentioned, the P-51 airframe (no letter designator) actually yielded the F-6A (your picture you posted actually shows a camera in the back window of the P-51!), and the P-51A actually was the F-6B. I don’t know why they skipped the letter designator on the first US-flown P-51, maybe due to the design being provided for our friends across the pond? Anyway, no offense taken, the waters do get a bit murky sometimes. The diagram provided is an extremely helpful tool to show the evolution of the P-51 development though! FYI @Dunny

5 hours ago, makeshiftwings said:

I very much like what you've done with the invasion stripes, it's fantastic!

4 hours ago, Baldy said:

Nice! I too like the effect you have achieved with the wing stripes.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks, gents. Apparently the stripes were scrubbed off the top part of the planes a couple weeks after D-Day, but they could still be slightly seen. The one reference picture I’ve seen (a grainy black & white photo in the instruction manual, yikes!) clearly shows this. The first time I built this scheme, I didn’t want to cover up those nice looking stripes... this time I wanted to try something new and I’m really happy with how it turned out! I’m glad you appreciate it, too!

Thanks again, everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1