C-160D Transall internal "Tan" color

WARDOG

Hello All,

Can someone here tell me if the cargo bay color for the C-160D Transall is RAL 7028 Dunklegelb or RAL 8020 Gelbbraun?

I have the beautiful Revell kit but it uses Revell paint (which is not readily available here in the U.S.!) mixes for some of the colors.

Any feedback will be helpful,

WARDOG

@WARDOG,

I'm NO authority on French/German colors, but from the few color photos I could find, it looks to me like RAL 7028 is a close match. There is a commercially available zinc chromate aircraft primer that I have seen applied on many modern European military and civil aircraft, and it looks very much like the mustard yellow primer seen on postwar Hawker Sea Furies. Best I can do with my limited references on the subject. FWIW, I have seen FS 30266 given as a close match for RAL 7028, if that helps.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Thanks Mike,

Appreciate the help.  That's the color I was leaning towards.  I'll give it a go as I need to build SOMETHING this year!

WARDOG

Hello Mike and WARDOG!

Transall is not a plane I'm familiar with. However the interior tan looks the same as the primer used in Fouga CM.170 Magisters. And that colour is NCS 1020-Y30R which in turn is close to RAL 1001. The RAL shade is just a little too "dirty"; it should be just a bit more yellowish. FS33613 is pretty close but slightly too pale and the actual colour is slightly more reddish.

But as I said, I'm not sure.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti,

I appreciate the extra info.

Yes, Tonyot,

I am aware of the (what looks like an) aluminum colors in the far-rear area.  Now for the pesky landing gear and wheel-well colors! 🙂

WARDOG

The wheel wells appear to be in a similar colour to Sky/Eau de Nil (might possibly be RAL6019) and the landing gear a mixture of light grey and silver. Here's a couple of photos I took at RIAT 2016 of 50+48 in the static display:

cd020b11-aca9-4147-b30c-46504b7c8a96.JPG

c7d609da-46a0-4829-9a89-417dd729be3c.JPG

Transalls aren't normally within my usual area of interest but I thought these might come in handy one day. :)

HTH,

Jonathan

• Like 1

Thank You Jonathan,

I've been trying to figure out which colors to use on the landing gear and wells.  The pics sure do contribute to getting me closer to that goal.

Appreciated,

WARDOG

@WARDOG,

If you look at good color photos of modern postwar civil and some military aircraft, especially those manufactured in Europe, you will see a lot of them in a light greyish green zinc chromate primer, which looks very similar to the old eau de nil paint. I think the wheel bay Transall  photos you posted show this primer. I'm no Nick Millman or Dana Bell, but it seems to me that maybe the manufacturers must have different commercial sources for the primer, so the shade could vary quite a bit- I am guessing as long as the chemical composition met the specs, than matching the color to a paint chip was not all that important. I think even in WW2 the color of zinc chromate yellow and interiorzinc chromate green varied a lot between manufacturers and was passed by the inspectors. I have attached a link to a color photo and description. It seems to me that the chromate primers used since the 80's is softer and more pastel, if that  makes any sense, than the primers used previously.  Maybe start with a light grey and add a few drops of green and blue?

Mike

https://aerospace.honeywell.com/en/learn/about-us/blogs/2017/04/the-history-of-the-green-aircraft