Battle of Britain 80 Memorial Build: 1:48 Spitfire Mk1 and Hawker Hurricane MkI

RMCS

2020 is the 80th anniversary where the RAF made its mark as the world’s finest air force having faced overwhelming odds against the Luftwaffe. The history of the bravery of the men and women in the air and ground is well documented.  This diorama is to honour two of those squadrons, one based at Tangmere and the other at RAF Westhampnett (now Goodwood) which was within the Tangmere sector of operations and in particular two pilots one of whom was the first American ‘eagle’ pilot to be killed in the battle.

Pilot officer William Meade Lindsley Fiske III (Billy) was one of the 7 American pilots who flew with the RAF during the battle of Britain.  In July 1940 he joined 601 Sqn RAF Tangmere, more famously known as the millionaire’s squadron which at the time flew Hawker Hurricane Mk1 aircraft. On the 16thAugust 1940 the squadron was scrambled to intercept a flight of German bombers over the Solent and the Isle of Wight during that action a round hit Fiske’s aircraft in the fuel tank and other vital areas. His aircraft was seriously damaged and he returned to Tangmere nursing it all the way home despite the aircraft being on fire. and was taken to Chichester for medical attention. Sadly he died 48 hours later, he was 29 years old. P/O Billy Fiske was laid to rest with full military honours at Boxgrove Priory Church. Hi aircraft P3358 UF-H.

Pilot Officer Osgood Hanbury DSO, DFC & bar from 602 Sqn RAF Westhampnett flying a Spitfire Mk1 X4382 LO-G. By the end of 1940 he had 4 confirmed kills. He continued flying and in 1941 went to 260 Sqn in North Africa flying Curtiss P-40 Warhawk’s.

This double build uses the Tamiya Mk1 Spitfire with custom decals and the plug and play merlin engine sound and movement set from Magic Scale Modelling: https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/

Alongside the Airfix Ready fro Battle, Battle of Britain set with custom decals and scratch building.

49286664503_a3e4fd84dc_o

DSC_4538

DSC_4536

DSC_4613

DSC_4614

DSC_4630

DSC_4654

DSC_4659

• Like 7

I'm seriously contemplating a purchase of the Magic Plug and play engine set, and am wondering what is you honest opinion of the set in your Spitfire? The guys at Magic seem to have thought of everything and also seem to be really good guys..... what has been your experience.... I love this concept, and it sure brings models to life.....

Jeff

• Like 2

Great work and I was particularly pleased to see one of Fiske's Hurricanes as I have been researching him for nearly 2 decades now, and modelled his most flown and normal mount UF-E P3383 awhile back (the build is on Modelingmadness if you want to have a look). UF-H P3358 was obviously the aircraft he was mortally wounded in. Just one small correction, Billy passed away the next day (the 17th August) and not 48 hours later.

Always wonderful to see Billy remembered with a great looking model.

Edited by Smithy
Typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Biggu said:

I'm seriously contemplating a purchase of the Magic Plug and play engine set, and am wondering what is you honest opinion of the set in your Spitfire? The guys at Magic seem to have thought of everything and also seem to be really good guys..... what has been your experience.... I love this concept, and it sure brings models to life.....

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I think it's Briliant!  It is designed for the airfix kit, so if you want to use a different make like the Tamiya be prepared for some plastic surgery. It is easy to install otherwise and it does what it says. The sound is great and the authentic prop movement just finishes it off nicley. Well worth the investment!

37 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Nice - any chance of a Spit video, I'd like to see what that set's like?

Thanks.. yes will post one when I have plugged it in for sure..

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Nice - any chance of a Spit video, I'd like to see what that set's like?

Magic have videos on YT and their own site - no Spit specifically, but Lancs used Merlins as well. 
(I'm trying to find out if a set of older laptop speakers might work better)

• Like 1

Thanks for the testimonial.............  I have the Airfix Spit and Hurricane................ I am also working on an Accurate miniatures TBM 3 conversion to an air tanker, and the P/W engine effect would be cool with that one too.... I could use their Corsair kit for that............. I can't wait to see you video....... this stuff is so cool.... and the guys at Magic seem to be a great lot........... I saw a video review on Phil Flory's YT channel....

Jeff

• Like 1

Here's the finished Tamiya Spitfire (yet to be added to the diorama). With magic scale modelling plug and play merlin engine...

• Like 5

THAT is pretty damn cool!!  I LOVE the shut down sequence, so............ in my mind that looks worth the money............ would you do another one do you think?? Sure brought the model to life, great job !

Jeff

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Biggu said:

THAT is pretty damn cool!!  I LOVE the shut down sequence, so............ in my mind that looks worth the money............ would you do another one do you think?? Sure brought the model to life, great job !

Jeff

I certainly would

• Like 1