USS Normandy, 1/700, what the hell am I doing?

Creepy Pete

Hello,

For some reason I once bought the 1/700 USS Normandy kit from Dragon, and I figured I might as well build it for this GB. I never build ships, so go easy on me. :crosseyed:

I've glued some bits together, so now I have a weird box shaped structure, and some floaty bits. I've learned already that I need to take some more care with seams and glue than on my usual airplane kits, since the scale is so small.

ecBq8Sz.jpg

Now I need to learn what colours these things are and who does them.

• Like 6

Hi,

On his Sovereign Hobbies website, Jamie lists US Navy Haze Gray and a darker Deck Gray for modern USN vessels, and that fits with some other sources I have accessed. Unfortunately I have no idea which other manufacturers do the same colours, As his paints are enamel he cannot post them to you I imagine, but I think he does list a stockist in your country. This might be of interest.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/modern-naval-colours/american

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress. I've been glueing more subassemblies together, which are stored in a handy little box I once bought but never used until now, and I glued the top and lower half of the hull together. There was a nice big seam there, so putty has been applied. There's adistributor of Colourcoats here in the Netherlands, so the correct shades of grey and red have been bought. I'm looking forward to put some paint on this.

FU39h9T.jpg

gc3Lg2a.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Got most parts painted, and I have glued the superstructure onto the hull. I've also sprayed the whole thing with Tamiya Clear. Before I add any more small parts, I will put a wash on the details.

IToVlSw.jpg

I'm enjoying this kit so much, I've ordered another ship model. The 1/700 Dragon USS Long Beach.

• Like 8

Cool kit! I really regret not buying the Long Beach, too, when I had the chance to get it cheap.

I'm no expert at all, which is why I feel fine saying this. With my ship builds, if I can't put my hands on exactly the right grey (eg I had a can of Haze Grey but not any more), I just use light and dark grey. The reason is that even grey changes hue so much depending on the light that as long as you can tell whether it's lighter or darker, it basically looks ok.

I know a certain proportion of modellers just read that and are presently reaching for their medication, but it's true. 

That's my approach and it works for me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the wash has been applied, and it really brings out all the detail. I also started adding the decals that go on the deck, and sadly these are terrible. They remind me of Roden decals, very glossy, and plastic like, and they don't want to settle down on raised detail at all, even after much Mark Fit Strong or even Tamiya thinner. Oh well. Right now I am starting to add more and more of the smaller pieces.

Apart from the decals, I'm really liking it so far.

sG6onxc.jpg

• Like 7