Another Old Crow - 1/72 Airfix P-51D - Finished!!!

Johnson

Saturday afternoon update... about 34 hours to go... :waiting:

Dscf2046

Almost all the decals on. I'll add some stencils around the fuel fillers. The 'new' (second-hand 2006 SuperScale) decals are very good, mostly. The kill marking are too big, the length is just about OK but they're far too deep compared to the photo. But they're beautifully done. The pilot and crew names decal, just the white part, went AWOL late last night, must have stuck to my fingers. Couldn't see it anywhere and was about to give up but had one more look on the carpet  - and there it was! It's tiny! The modelling Gods must have been looking after me! :D 

Not sure whether to seal the decals with Xtracrylic satin or just leave it. I don't want to spoil the nice sheen you get with the Alclad aluminium :undecided:. The front will need a coat of matt for sure. Then a bit of weathering, not too much.

All the bits and bobs to add. There's K-14 gunsight around somewhere and the oil surge hole on the starboard engine panel needs drilling, a slight oversight for Airfix. And the control column needs mending!

Cheers,

• Like 6

Nice work. I’m particularly impressed by the nose checks. 

34 hours is plenty time to get it finished.

Cheers Allan 

• Thanks 1

I think Old Crow is done.

The Xtracrylic Clear Satin worked fine, very pleased with the results, decal carrier film has completely disappeared, I don't think I've ever had a model with so little silvering. Winsor & Newton Matt Acrylic Varnish on the nose. Almost all the final bits and bobs have been added with PVA, a few with cryo.

Dscf2054

Dscf2071

I'll try to add a little weathering and post pics in the gallery later.

Here are the results of a very enjoyable Mustang STGB;

Dscf2080

Acknowledgments:

Thanks to Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 and Bob @gingerbob for hosting an excellent GB!

All those who commented and encouraged!

And to Hasegawa, Academy & Airfix for such great kits!

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
SNAFU
  • Like 5

• Johnson changed the title to Another Old Crow - 1/72 Airfix P-51D - Finished!!!

I'm sure some of you will have noticed that I forgot to add the rear view mirrors to both Rebel Queen and Old Crow! :huh:

I will make amends! But not in the timeframe of this GB alas. Oh well, minor niggles and I'm sure I''ll spot others in the next few days.

The mirror on the later Old Crow, P-51D, was apparently a complicated affair with its own perspex cover. It will be something to do this week while I get used to GB withdrawal syndrome.

Cheers,

• Like 2