Lancaster B.lll Special, Op Chastise 1943. Finished 21/05

DaveJL

8 hours ago, DaveJL said:

So I was applying the masks to the canopy this morning. All was well until I dropped the bloody thing. Landed on the cockpit side and shattered the canopy into 5 bits, 1 of which I cannot locate:

Part of the Upkeep mechanism was also damaged:

Oh :poop: !

Chris

• Sad 1

I’ve just come across this terrible news. That’s such a shame Dave, I know the kit was fighting you although having come this far you deserve to have a finished product. I agree with what you’re saying about the Hasegawa kit, it has a few issues although goes together nicely enough. 
Cheers and chin up.. Dave 

On 4/23/2020 at 9:41 PM, woody37 said:

Noooo. Gutted for you Dave. 

I've got another kit in the stash so you can borrow a canopy if you need one, you can send me your spare when you get it. Don't give up now.

Cheers

Neil

That's a very kind offer Neil but I don't know when I'd be able to get a replacement to you or even if Airfix have the part as they did not confirm it was available.

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve just come across this terrible news. That’s such a shame Dave, I know the kit was fighting you although having come this far you deserve to have a finished product. I agree with what you’re saying about the Hasegawa kit, it has a few issues although goes together nicely enough. 
Cheers and chin up.. Dave 

Hasn't been the finest modelling experience I've had! There are some nice details but I've encountered a lot of tricky bits.

The trickiest bit of the Hasegawa kit was the engine assembly.

7 hours ago, DaveJL said:

That's a very kind offer Neil but I don't know when I'd be able to get a replacement to you or even if Airfix have the part as they did not confirm it was available.

Hasn't been the finest modelling experience I've had! There are some nice details but I've encounter a lot of tricky bits.

The trickiest bit of the Hasegawa kit was the engine assembly.

The offer is there mate if you want it. Be a shame not to finish it :)

• 2 weeks later...

So a reprieve and somewhat of a resurrection. Thanks to the generosity of @woody37, a new canopy has arrived

49863656347_5b1424c01c_b.jpg

So in an effort to get this one over the line, I worked on some bits and pieces today. Propellers painted:

49863656162_f9413a4fc6_b.jpg

Wheels:

49863347861_05cfff652e_b.jpg

Sprayed the Upkeep in Red Oxide, and painted the front gun turret:

49863347326_1970e1c12f_b.jpg

49862810513_8a7d755904_b.jpg

Would a primed Upkeep have had the yellow band around it like the painted green examples?

A few bits on the airframe masked up. I also sprayed some paint left over from my weathering on the Hasegawa kit. Some areas need a clean up:

49863655832_e50c7b5995_b.jpg

49862811263_bd37b98748_b.jpg

I'm going to try and reuse the masks from the broken canopy tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be usable, if not I'll order a new set from Hannants.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great to see this one getting another look over and well done @woody37 for doing your bit to help out a Lanc modeller in distress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Neil saved the day no doubt!

Managed to salvage most of the mask that was on the damaged canopy, but 2 panels were beyond use so I've ordered a replacement set (needed to get a camouflage mask and a few bits for other kits) so a few quid won't hurt.

49867312251_817d9d9cb9_b.jpg

49867620427_f18a541f6d_b.jpg

49867311901_05d2f701b8_b.jpg

Both turrets now finished:

49867619857_5c6abe76c3_b.jpg

Ready for primer:

49867620062_6fc6b45853_b.jpg

Hope to get that done around work over the weekend and then commence painting whenever the masks arrive (and fingers crossed I have no more 'mishaps' :lol: ).

More soon.

Dave

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The necessary masks turned up from the big H this morning so I popped on the last of the canopy masks and sprayed the framing in cockpit green. Once dry, the model was primed and, I still need to pinch myself here, after all the issues I had, there does not seem to be any imperfections on any of the areas that had filler! I'm very happy with that. Anyway, once dry, I pre-shaded the upper surfaces:

49901753278_466773c552_b.jpg

49901753078_45c17af453_b.jpg

Top colours will be done tomorrow and I'll hopefully get the black undersides done on Monday. As this would have been a relatively 'fresh' Lanc, I'm going to use Flat Black instead of the Nato Black I used on my other kit as that will make it look a tad less worn.

I'm glad to be making progress and it's not lost on me that, as I type this, on this date 77 years ago, Op Chastise was only a few hours away from being launched.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

Was able to make more progress today than I expected. First thing this morning, I sprayed the MRP Dark Green. Another benefit of the MRP range is that they dry so quickly, which allowed me to mask the green and then apply the Dark Earth half an hour or so later. I left that to cure for a couple of hours then spent about 30 minutes masking the upper surfaces. Once done, Tamiya Flat Black, thinned 50:50 with Mr Hobby Levelling thinner went on. A couple of hours later, we have this:

49906072666_c1b3be8527_b.jpg

49906072451_19b66ed588_b.jpg

49905558628_1de76ce76f_b.jpg

49906072056_b85a2cc1e2_b.jpg

49906373917_b4b2e301fe_b.jpg

49906072856_85f9ef2911_b.jpg

I do need to tidy up some overspray on the green in the landing gear wells and flap areas. Hoping to get that done tomorrow and get a lick of gloss on before work. After the mess I made during construction, she's looking rather well!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 7

Several coats of gloss on over the last couple of days and decals on this morning. As @TonyW mentioned, there were slight issues with the fuselage codes and some of the wing walkway markings. They silvered a bit even over a high gloss. Luckily, a few top coats of gloss looks to have cured the worst of it. Some weathering will help also.

49915586933_5fb2f2820e_b.jpg

49915586753_a762df2036_b.jpg

49916400502_3723400a28_b.jpg

49916400287_8901c0699f_b.jpg

Hoping to get a panel wash added to the upper surfaces tomorrow, along with a flat coat. I'm going to add a dab of Nato Black along some panels on the undersides. After that it will be some weathering and just a case of masking removal and adding the bomb, props, wheels and turrets.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

A few good hours at the bench today and I'm calling this one done. Wasn't much left to do really; I'd applied a panel wash, removed the excess and added a flat coat last night, leaving it to dry until this morning. Then it was just a case of adding some weathering - didn't go overly heavy here with the Type 464s being relatively new, but didn't want to leave it without any as I know they were pushed hard in training for Chastise. The exhaust stains are a heavily thinned mixture of 70:30 Flat White and Sky Grey, sprayed on over a light dusting of Tamiya weathering sets.

Upkeep attached, turrets in, props and wheels on. The most tedious job was removing all the masking! I'm not sure if the windows that are behing the 'AJ' and 'G' lettering were blanked out on th real thing so I just left them as is.

49919810646_ddefc70f26_b.jpg

49919296738_a630bfe267_b.jpg

49920110937_97f26ed704_b.jpg

49919813011_f8b577a163_b.jpg

More pictures in 'Ready for Inspection'  here

Despite the mountain of issues I had with the kit, I'm actually rather happy with how it turned out. It sits nicely beside beside the Hasegawa kit:

49919810521_f459168f57_b.jpg

But by goodness I won't be building another Airfix boxing! :lol:

As always, thanks to all who commented/followed the build, to those who helped with all my questions and a big thanks to @woody37 for the canopy; without that the kit would have been relegated to the storage room for a long time.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 17

Thanks chaps.

7 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Glad I could help Dave, it's come out superbly, love the two together :)

Thanks Neil ... the two will soon become three :lol:

That's turned out tops!!

I really like the weathering and overall sheen on this one. Excellent job all round and a wonderful end result to a great GB. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, dogsbody said:

This is what the article has to say:

49730955653_4bd7d4fccc_o.jpg

49730955678_8a3212c405_o.jpg

Chris

Useful Chris - now does anyone have the next month second part?!

On 5/22/2020 at 11:26 AM, DaveJL said:

Thanks Dave, turned out better than I thought it would given all the issues I had with it.

Nice build - I am finishing a Revell and old Airfix, but have the new airfix so will use yours as a handrail! 

where did you put the spotlight in the end?

Does anyone know if the aircraft had the HF antenna wires fitted, or just the one?

I am also torn over the bomb colour, so much so mine is in flight and will have been dropped already!

However the earlier guides are helpful for the other 2 builds....

Edited by Tim Moff

18 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Nice build - I am finishing a Revell and old Airfix, but have the new airfix so will use yours as a handrail! 

where did you put the spotlight in the end?

Does anyone know if the aircraft had the HF antenna wires fitted, or just the one?

I am also torn over the bomb colour, so much so mine is in flight and will have been dropped already!

However the earlier guides are helpful for the other 2 builds....

Thanks mate.

I just popped the spotlight at the rear of the bomb bay as Airfix suggests. I didn't want any more surgery or heartache with the kit so just followed the instructions.

I went for the red oxide Upkeep simply because I liked the contrast in colour with the underside of the Lanc.

• Thanks 1