Lancaster B.lll Special, Op Chastise 1943. Finished 21/05

DaveJL

A few more hours done today. Quite a bit of filler was needed to clean up the fuselage join but was a fairly simple job. I wasn't happy with the way the ventral blanking plate was sitting so I covered it with a layer of filler and sanded back. Looks a lot better now. I also noticed that the lights just fore of the horizontal stabilisers were a bit wonky which was odd as the rest of the panel lines have lined up perfectly; some filler to cover these in and I'll conjure up something to replicate them later on.

Once that was sorted, I added the wings. Once side went on perfectly, the other was a sod to get sitting. I think Airfix over engineered the wing assembly in my opinion. Still, it doesn't look too bad:

49746158348_6f6673d234_b.jpg

49746697776_565bc7af3a_b.jpg

Beside the Hasegawa kit:

49746157643_f729071162_b.jpg

Next up will be to assemble and add the engine cowlings.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 5

On 4/6/2020 at 7:33 PM, DaveJL said:

Can anyone advise me if the ventral panel (for the area of the mythical Vickers K gun) is meant to be flush with the fuselage or 'set into' it a bit? I could not get it sitting flush after many attempts.

49742823153_84cd023b3e_b.jpg

I added a piece of masking tape over the panel so you could get an idea of the depression.

Dave

Hi Dave

In issue 5 (Dambuster Special) of the excellent Wingleader online magazine the ventral gun position drawing is shown and it appears to be slightly concave but the outer edge is flush with the fuselage if that makes sense? It is also believed this is where the rear spotlight was fitted.

Mike

• Like 1

The original Revell kit part for the lower gun position (rear spot light) would be the ideal piece as it had the recess for the twin Browning provide in the kit but now, todays research, you could just put a spotlight in that recess . . . 

2 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

The original Revell kit part for the lower gun position (rear spot light) would be the ideal piece as it had the recess for the twin Browning provide in the kit but now, todays research, you could just put a spotlight in that recess . . . 

Thanks for the info mate. Airfix show the rear lamp (part G12) fitted to the panel that covers the aft part of the bomb bay (part G15). Is that incorrect?

49751043122_3a102d771b_b.jpg

• Like 1

According to the publication of Wingleader magazine, they found the remains of ED825 and the spotlight was fitted in the original position for the downward facing gun. It is shown as the full circle in your diagram, below the rudder assembly . . . 

Hopefully somebody else will come back and confirm these findings within the publication,

Ian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

According to the publication of Wingleader magazine, they found the remains of ED825 and the spotlight was fitted in the original position for the downward facing gun. It is shown as the full circle in your diagram, below the rudder assembly . . . 

Hopefully somebody else will come back and confirm these findings within the publication,

Ian

It certainly does look further aft than the instructions would suggest. Perhaps a bit more filling and sanding now required!

40 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I shared you experience re trying to button up the Airfix fuselage, and trying to make the ventral blanking disc "fit". :popcorn:. V-P

Glad I'm not the only one! Have had a bit of a tricky time with this kit.

• Like 2

Bit of an update, haven't had much time at the bench the last number of days due to work. I've cleaned up any filler and added a few bits and pieces across the airframe. Almost there with the cowlings so they'll be going on next, but in the meantime here's how she's looking:

49777050557_cdf09b9cf9_b.jpg

49776721531_2f37d8fc13_b.jpg

49777050392_4daa86dbcf_b.jpg

Is there general consensus that Airfix have located the rear lamp in the wrong place? Moved from point 1 to point 2 in the picture below? If so, does the locating hole at point 1 need filled in or would it remain?

49776197793_009f950f81_b.jpg

Sorry for all the questions but would like to get this as accurate as possible!

I have a couple of much needed days off from tomorrow so hope to get a bit more done then.

Dave

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Bit of an update, haven't had much time at the bench the last number of days due to work. I've cleaned up any filler and added a few bits and pieces across the airframe. Almost there with the cowlings so they'll be going on next, but in the meantime here's how she's looking:

49777050557_cdf09b9cf9_b.jpg

49776721531_2f37d8fc13_b.jpg

49777050392_4daa86dbcf_b.jpg

Is there general consensus that Airfix have located the rear lamp in the wrong place? Moved from point 1 to point 2 in the picture below? If so, does the locating hole at point 1 need filled in or would it remain?

49776197793_009f950f81_b.jpg

Sorry for all the questions but would like to get this as accurate as possible!

I have a couple of much needed days off from tomorrow so hope to get a bit more done then.

Dave

Came across this Dave.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/general_discussion/f/9/t/181188.aspx

It’s open to debate as some sources as above show the second lamp in the roof of the bomb bay ( not the rear fairing ) or as more recently thought the redundant ventral gun mount. 

Logically I would say the latter, as if you think these spotlights were basically bolted in Aldis lamps utilising the standard camera position for the forward one but no easily apparent position in the bomb bay for the second lamp to be installed whereas the ventral gun position is ideal and requires no excessive modification? 

Apparently the Lancs used for the Sorpe dam didn’t have them as not required.

Mike 

Thanks chaps! Clear as mud then. The position in the kit is well into the bomb bay. I'll mull over it and see what's what. In the meantime, the engines were finished:

49781493061_092f25a1c3_b.jpg

Fitted:

49781492396_3f66b85639_b.jpg

49781820577_45600953bd_b.jpg

There was a bit of a gap on the upper side when the covering panels were added but nothing major. Airfix have you insert the main landing gear through the top of the inner cowlings so hoping to get that done tomorrow.

To be honest, I'm having a tricky old time with this one, seems to be fighting me which I find odd as I haven't head of many bad reviews of the kit. Anyway, more soon.

Dave

• Like 6

A couple of hours done today. Firstly, main landing gear struts were painted. Tamiya Semi-gloss black for the most part, with some interior green and aluminium details. Once dry, these were attached to the kit. No issues with the fit, went together very well.

49785688897_665ebab34e_b.jpg

49785367476_381bac093b_b.jpg

I moved on and added the majority of the Upkeep release assembly.

49785688432_a81ba9e989_b.jpg

The two forward panels were an awkward fit and have left a slight step that will need sorted:

49784830488_1266967720_b.jpg

You can see it just to the left and above the forward spot light. Yet another area that seems to be fighting me. Anyway, once that is tidied up, there's a few small bits to be added then I can start masking off bits and pieces before priming. I've also written a note down to ensure I spray the area under the canopy in dark green before i move on :lol:

Beside the Hasegawa kit:

49785687772_9a22631370_b.jpg

Back to work tomorrow so won't get any bench time until the middle of next week.

Stay safe.

Dave

• Like 9

They’re both looking great Dave. It will be interesting to hear your comments on both Airfix and Hasegawa kits once you’ve finished. I’m building the Hasegawa kit now myself, however do have the Airfix Mk.II in the stash. 
Cheers and nice progress.. Dave 

On 4/20/2020 at 12:46 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

They’re both looking great Dave. It will be interesting to hear your comments on both Airfix and Hasegawa kits once you’ve finished. I’m building the Hasegawa kit now myself, however do have the Airfix Mk.II in the stash. 
Cheers and nice progress.. Dave 

Thanks mate. To be honest, I'm not enjoying the Airfix kit. It just doesn't seem to be going smoothly for me. I've come close today to placing it in the box of doom i.e the bin. But I'll persevere for now. Anyway, some progress;

Green behind the pilots seat and direction finding loop added along with the bomb aimers glazing. Masking was also applied to the fuselage windows. It was here that I encountered my first issue of the day. When adding the masks, I noticed that the clear parts do not seem to fit into the port holes the way they should. Very frustrating but shouldn't be too noticeable once paint is on.

49802751706_238323710b_b.jpg

Filler around the Upkeep assembly cleaned up. Just need to figure out where I'm putting the aft spotlight now:

49802198483_e592ff04c5_b.jpg

Canopy went on next. Airfix have not provided any excess plastic on the canopy, unlike Hasegawa, on which to apply glue. So very careful application was needed. There are is a small gap at the front which will need sorted. The side windows with the blisters were an absolute pain to fit; they just did not want to sit in place. Some careful sanded was needed and of course once I had the canopy in place and glued, one of the side windows fell into the fuselage resulting in the canopy coming off and my temper rising. It's not perfect, but  I just want this one finished now one way or another. I'm just not enjoying it, which is odd as I've very much enjoyed some of Airfix's recent kits, most notably the Hunter.

Beside the Hasegawa kit:

49802197973_a14bf20d5b_b.jpg

Hoping to get the canopy masks on before work tomorrow. Will update if successful.

Dave

• Like 8

Very nice work.

A warning about the Airfix decals, if you intend using them. Mine have been next to useless. I've tried the fuselage codes and the wing walks over a gloss finish. I've found them very thick and unyielding, Sol and Set had no effect I could see and I've abandoned any thoughts of using them on my build.

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

A warning about the Airfix decals

Which Airfix kit decals are you talking about Tony. I was of the opinion that modern Airfix decals are as good as any AM products, if not better? 
Cheers.. Dave 

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

Very nice work.

A warning about the Airfix decals, if you intend using them. Mine have been next to useless. I've tried the fuselage codes and the wing walks over a gloss finish. I've found them very thick and unyielding, Sol and Set had no effect I could see and I've abandoned any thoughts of using them on my build.

Thanks mate. I won't have to worry about the decals as I've had to postpone this build. More below.

4 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Not hearing many good things about the Airfix version 😕

I'm not having much luck with it, but I've seen some lovely examples built up.

So I was applying the masks to the canopy this morning. All was well until I dropped the bloody thing. Landed on the cockpit side and shattered the canopy into 5 bits, 1 of which I cannot locate:

49809159946_45affeb32f_b.jpg

49808604963_fefff37528_b.jpg

Part of the Upkeep mechanism was also damaged:

49809461137_5d3b0f302a_b.jpg

Just the icing on the cake as far as this kit and me were getting along. I didn't enjoy it and it fought me quite a bit. I don't know if that's the kit, or my skills (probably the latter) but I've enjoyed the Hasegawa kit much more. So this one is being stuck into the cupboard unfortunately. I may revisit it in the future if I can get a replacement canopy. I'm not going to try now given the current issues. I'll more than likely just get a Hasegawa Dambuster.

Sorry chaps, but will only have the Hasegawa entry for this GB now.

Dave

• Sad 8

Such sad news Dave but don’t give up! Ping Airfix an email and maybe they would send a new canopy if you explained the mishap? 

The upkeep break should be an easy fix so please persevere after being so close?😊

Mike

I'd considered that mate but don't want to put any excess pressure on the mail etc.

To be honest it'll be a nice break from the kit, as I've said above, I haven't enjoyed it at all!

So heard back from Airfix after emailing them not long after the above post.

No spares service running at the minute due to the unprecedented events.

Will box everything up and leave until later in the year.