Zoukei Mura 1/48 Horten Ho 229

Viva Bruno :) 

One question: You left the upper wings and upper fuselage pieces unglued, that is exactly how I would make this kit. Was that extra-challenging, or the kit fittings are so good that you don't notice a thing?

How is the fitting without glue? Do you see a big seam on the wind edge? I would use magnets to keep in position. 

9 hours ago, Never a Pro said:

Viva Bruno :) 

One question: You left the upper wings and upper fuselage pieces unglued, that is exactly how I would make this kit. Was that extra-challenging, or the kit fittings are so good that you don't notice a thing?

How is the fitting without glue? Do you see a big seam on the wind edge? I would use magnets to keep in position. 

Hi,

I left the pieces unglued because it was a comission build and the client wanted it that way,so he could see the interior whenever he wants. The fit of the kit is very precise and tight,and even the paint layers can cause trouble when its time to assemble the whole interior after painting. And that part of the build can be nerve wrecking,as the all the internal sections are very fragile so,its important that there's no need to force nothing into place. If the whole structure is even a milimeter off,it will affect the fit of the fuselage pieces. As for the fuselage pieces,the seams will indeed be visible,not a big gap,but noticeable. Between upper and lower wing pieces and also between the nose and the main structure,although not as much as the wings. The engine covers fit nicely into place. The main thing is getting a precise ssembly of the whole interior. Almost forgot,care is needed when gluing and sanding the engine nozzle pieces. The pieces are very thin and hard to stay glued,something that caused trouble when filling and sanding the seams,they broke off at least three times. I would recommend getting one piece resin replacement for the nozzles,I think I saw those for sale somewhere. And the whole engine,once complete,is not easy to glue in place,due to the small attachment points. If one day I have to build the ZM Horten,I would rather build the 1/32,since its a sturdier build. If you need any more help,let me know.

Cheers,

Bruno

I love it!  I have two of these kits in the stash.  I didnt know you could build it with the wing skins removable.  Fantastic job!  I like the cammo too...  

I am a dedicated Luftwaffe airplane fan and I love the speculative schemes on the Luft46 planes.  I really like the speckled egg scheme you have here.  The only thing that looks odd to me is the color of the cross on the top wing.  I was scratching my head that something looked odd here.  Then it hit me...  Usually the late war Luftwaffe day fighters had simplified thin lined WHITE painted insignia on the top of the wing and thicker BLACK one the lower wing...  It could have been a painting directive, I don't know for sure, but the choice of thick lined black insignia on the top of the wing is the only question I would have!  This is an awesome model!

Edited by Tokyo Raider

On 2/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, Walter said:

Wow very cool i hope i can do the same with my PM MODELS kit🙄

I know that kit well and I almost fell off my chair reading this.  You are a funny guy Walter! 

Is that intentional having your Wild Sau Licking the British roundel in your logo?  Or by accident?  It's also really funny looking to me...

Back to the Model its fantastic!

Edited by Tokyo Raider

11 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I love it!  I have two of these kits in the stash.  I didnt know you could build it with the wing skins removable.  Fantastic job!  I like the cammo too...  

I am a dedicated Luftwaffe airplane fan and I love the speculative schemes on the Luft46 planes.  I really like the speckled egg scheme you have here.  The only thing that looks odd to me is the color of the cross on the top wing.  I was scratching my head that something looked odd here.  Then it hit me...  Usually the late war Luftwaffe day fighters had simplified thin lined WHITE painted insignia on the top of the wing and thicker BLACK one the lower wing...  It could have been a painting directive, I don't know for sure, but the choice of thick lined black insignia on the top of the wing is the only question I would have!  This is an awesome model!

Thanks! Funny you mentioned that,I also had the same question but,the client is a big fan of Luftwaffe night fighter aircraft and wanted me to paint it as one,even after I told him that if the Ho-229 ever had a night fighter version,it would be the projected two seater variant and not the single seater. But he insisted,and he also insisted I used smaller and different crosses,supposedly more in line with night fighter aircraft crosses,according to him. And as the saying goes, "the client is always right". Had it been my choice,I would have painted it with the box scheme,for a day fighter. That speckled egg camo was a pain to paint,specially the RLM 77 base color,another demand from the client,a color that only ModelMaster has as a specific reference and a paint that was very hard to airbrush properly.

17 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

he also insisted I used smaller and different crosses,supposedly more in line with night fighter aircraft

Yea, he may think its a night fighter, but without radar and I dont think RVG bands were applied to nightfighters either...  it still looks cool in RLM77!

On 9/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, Tokyo Raider said:

Yea, he may think its a night fighter, but without radar and I dont think RVG bands were applied to nightfighters either...  it still looks cool in RLM77!

Indeed. I told him that. The night fighter would always have the FuG or the Lichtenstein radar. And even if it had the radar,it would need second man to operate it,and that would only be possible in the two seater.