The 'Unarmed' Group Build Chat

Brad

Hello. Still pondering if I'll sign in for this one but would a fighter used in an aerobatic team qualify (meaning like a Blue Angels f-18 or Thunderbirds F-16)?

In any case I wish fun to the participants.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Hello. Still pondering if I'll sign in for this one but would a fighter used in an aerobatic team qualify (meaning like a Blue Angels f-18 or Thunderbirds F-16)?

In any case I wish fun to the participants.

Yes provided the internal armament (ie; the cannon) has been removed which I know it is for the Blue Angels, but not sure on with the Thunderbirds. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Yes provided the internal armament (ie; the cannon) has been removed which I know it is for the Blue Angels, but not sure on with the Thunderbirds. 

Thanks Brad. The problem is that I'd really like to make a Hawker Hunter F.6 as used by our Belgian aerobatic team the Red Devils between 1960 -1963. The cannon ports sport no cover on the pictures but I can't find information stating if the guns were removed or not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Thanks Brad. The problem is that I'd really like to make a Hawker Hunter F.6 as used by our Belgian aerobatic team the Red Devils between 1960 -1963. The cannon ports sport no cover on the pictures but I can't find information stating if the guns were removed or not.

Hmmm, well, in the absence of evidence, lets say yes they were.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot! Would you please count me in for this one?

In any case, I'll still have a look at alternatives (plenty in the stash). The fact is I never took part in a GB before and I'm an incredibly slow builder (one or two kits a year). So, for my first time, I'd prefer to keep it simple and not begin a kit I'm not sure to finish in time.

Edited on 26/02/2021: thanks to the friendly help and insight of Daniel Brackx (his "Belgian Wings" site is more than worth a look) I fear that the "Red Devils" Hunter doesn't qualify. As the Hunter armament consisted of quite a large gun pack, he thinks that removing it would have made flight impossible, because of an altered centre of gravity of the plane. A sound and logical answer. So I'm now definitely looking for another subject. 

• Like 1

I'm tempted to throw my hat into the ring here..... I had hoped for a bit of respite from all the Shootin Bombin Killen machines..... But did I just read that a Japanese WW2 Kamikaze plane was given the thumbs up?? 

I know it's not "carrying" a bomb in the orthodox manner - it IS A BOMB. 

Well, there may be a few Airliners and cool cars find their way in too. 

Even a Cutty Sark from Aldi would be OK. I could well be participating when the time comes ☮️😄

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm tempted to throw my hat into the ring here..... I had hoped for a bit of respite from all the Shootin Bombin Killen machines..... But did I just read that a Japanese WW2 Kamikaze plane was given the thumbs up?? 

I know it's not "carrying" a bomb in the orthodox manner - it IS A BOMB. 

Well, there may be a few Airliners and cool cars find their way in too. 

Even a Cutty Sark from Aldi would be OK. I could well be participating when the time comes ☮️😄

If you mean the Ki 15 "Kamikaze" that was just the name given to that particular aircraft, which was purchased by a Japanese Newspaper and used in several promotional/record breaking flights. Actual Kamikaze aircraft used in suicide attacks are not eligible for this GB.

Hope to have you along, it looks like it's going to be a big build!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question: Would an EW (Electronic Warfare) aircraft qualify, as long as it were not carrying anti-radiation missiles? I have a Grumman EA-6B Prowler that I'd like to build. If it doesn't qualify, no problem.

No worries, mate :)

The Kamikaze was actually the second prototype for the Ki-15/C5M which became an observation/spotter/light bomber, and indeed later used in suicide attacks.

Funny, even when confronted with clear evidence that Japanese manufacturers really were making perfectly fine and capable home-grown aircraft, many western 'experts' insisted on ignoring this and calling them 'knock-offs' and copies of western aircraft.* 

Must have been a really confusing experience for some when the Kamikaze showed up at Croydon!

*Yes, really. The A6M was NOT a Gloster F.5/34 copy. Or a Vought V-150 clone. 

What they did do was buy a single a/c and study how some design and construction methods could be used in their own manufacture and design processes.

That domestic preference still continues to this day and age - see the Kawasaki C-2 and P-1 projects.

2 hours ago, klr said:

Question: Would an EW (Electronic Warfare) aircraft qualify, as long as it were not carrying anti-radiation missiles? I have a Grumman EA-6B Prowler that I'd like to build. If it doesn't qualify, no problem.

Yes that's good.

• Like 1

As the "Red Devil's" Hawker Hunter may in honesty not qualify (see former post), I chose a simple but iconic subject.

Also the dates for the High Wing and Nordic II GB's overlap and as I already enlisted for Nordic II but can't resist high wing planes .......

spacer.png

• Like 6

As this is my Grumman GB year, possibilities have been narrowed to a Gulfhawk (F3F or F8F), F9F-5P Panther, XF10F Jaguar, or a TBF-based firebomber, all in 1/48.

• Like 1

I keep hearing good things about the quality of the more recent tooling of the Airfix Jet provost and I really like jets with side by side cockpits for some reason, so this will give me a good reason to get around to buying one. Would love to join if trainers are Ok in the unarmed category and there's still room and inexperienced modellers are allowed :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, worcesterjohn said:

I keep hearing good things about the quality of the more recent tooling of the Airfix Jet provost and I really like jets with side by side cockpits for some reason, so this will give me a good reason to get around to buying one. Would love to join if trainers are Ok in the unarmed category and there's still room and inexperienced modellers are allowed :)

It sounds fine, not sure if the provost has internal guns at all?