The 'Unarmed' Group Build Chat

Brad

5 hours ago, Brad said:

@Ray S I think you're just under the 25% limit as you haven't glued together any of the major parts yet. Look forward to seeing this finished :)

Thanks so much for that, I will dig out another kit and get the fuselage out and crack on!

Cheers, Ray

• Like 1

I have been wanting to join this GB but haven’t found anything suitable in the stash, but I have just ordered this:

51129960740_efe0ec239b_b.jpg

got the last one in stock!  When it arrives I will join in the fun with the Roulettes aerobatic team plane.

AW

• Like 6

On 13/04/2021 at 01:02, Brad said:

@Paul J I'm not familiar with those spitfires but I assume they were a trainer? They're in as long as they had a job you can point to.

@Mjwomack Yeh that's all good.

OK. Can I join in with this please?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, airfixpeter said:

If you can put up with me i would like to enter this one as i need an excuse to build it. 

Oh cool, I remember those, we went over to your end a couple of times on holidays when I was a kid. I was amazed the first time!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, airfixpeter said:

If you can put up with me i would like to enter this one as i need an excuse to build it. 

spacer.png

Talk about bringing back memories. I had this kit as a kid and I remember the skirts not fitting so it ended up in the bin. Looking back it was probably something I did wrong and would love to have the chance at another go. I’ll settle for watching this one for now  :popcorn:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, airfixpeter said:

spacer.png

Ooh! Nice! I'd love to have this kit! :wub: 

Hovercraft and hydrofoils were a huge interest of mine as a teen. I have several Jane's Surface Skimmers yearbooks from the '70s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airfixpeter said:

spacer.png

Do it, AirfixPeter. I haven’t started my build yet, hopefully tomorrow, as I will be doing an SRN4 I have had since 1973. I have a ‘donor’ kit as my original has been through a few house moves including going to Canada and back have distorted some of the original parts. I will be trying to depict “Princess Maragaret” as she was when I travelled on her in 1999. I visited her as a museum piece the following March.

The Hovercraft Museum is opening on May 22nd. I’ll be there

As an aside i have some “Hoverspeed” Letraset, leant to me by the museum 20 years ago. Useful for letter artwork.

cheers

Adrian

question is “Glass roof or solid” 😊

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:09 PM, Andwil said:

I have been wanting to join this GB but haven’t found anything suitable in the stash, but I have just ordered this:

51129960740_efe0ec239b_b.jpg

got the last one in stock!  When it arrives I will join in the fun with the Roulettes aerobatic team plane.

AW

Nice choice Andrew, I have the same kit to build as a Roulette aircraft, mine will be A23-42, as I managed a jolly in it with Roulette One many years ago while on temp duty with CFS. I thought about doing mine here, but  since you are doing it I think I will go with something else. Perhaps a Amodel G550.

• Like 1

Sign me up!

I have just started parts cleanup on an old Revell 1/72 Sikorsky HH-3E. I’ll be using the Air Graphic Models conversion to make it into a US Coast Guard HH-3F Pelican.  It is a fairly simple conversion- delete the refueling probe, add a nose radar, modify the sponsons, new tail rotor, add the FOD shield in front of the engine intakes.

spacer.png

• Like 9

7 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

Sign me up!

I have just started parts cleanup on an old Revell 1/72 Sikorsky HH-3E. I’ll be using the Air Graphic Models conversion to make it into a US Coast Guard HH-3F Pelican.  It is a fairly simple conversion- delete the refueling probe, add a nose radar, modify the sponsons, new tail rotor, add the FOD shield in front of the engine intakes.

spacer.png

I remember building this kit many many years ago as a teenager.  Nice choice!

AW

I'm going to throw this one into the mix. Whilst I have the CHiPs (this GB) and a 1:72 Hawker Typhoon (Less than a Tenner GB; next week) on the boil, I reckon I can squeeze this in too.

2kXpQDK%5D

The bigger challenge is fitting in the 1:400 I have promised the wife to replace the the 1:700 that was on the mantelpiece but recently commandeered by my sister!! I did however tell her that the 1:400 was an upgrade worth waiting for :facepalm:

• Like 2

These GBs are terrible for your stash and your wallet. Having built my civvie Citroën and seen some of the other builds I now have a burning desire to build a bigger car that I'd be happy putting out on display. Already started buying paint and tools and hanging round the car sections of model shops. Is there a limit to how many modelling rabbit holes you can disappear down at the same time?

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Foxbat said:

These GBs are terrible for your stash and your wallet. Having built my civvie Citroën and seen some of the other builds I now have a burning desire to build a bigger car that I'd be happy putting out on display. Already started buying paint and tools and hanging round the car sections of model shops. Is there a limit to how many modelling rabbit holes you can disappear down at the same time?

Andy 

Ah ha, I have been successful ;)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Andy 

For us laymen, nope.  :rofl2:

There are some w/ defenses so stout they may very well withstand the tests of time, but I think they are few and far between.  @JeroenS is one of the few that instantly spring to mind of being one who holds the course and maintains a tight stash control.  He has my respect, not just his abilities, but also his willpower.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

For us laymen, nope.  :rofl2:

There are some w/ defenses so stout they may very well withstand the tests of time, but I think they are few and far between.  @JeroenS is one of the few that instantly spring to mind of being one who holds the course and maintains a tight stash control.  He has my respect, not just his abilities, but also his willpower.  

Only because I'm being watched with a hawk's eye 😄

But thanks for the vote of confidence!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Does an Italian M346 qualify for this GB?

I had a quick wiki and it looks like it yes, as long as you don't hang any weapons on the pylons. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Question for @Brad: I'm working on an Il-62 double build - half of it in this GB, the other half was in the Africa GB. I didn't get the African one finished before that GB ended - could I finish it with the other one in this GB please? Will understand if not - might still post progress pics of both together but wouldn't put the African one in the gallery unless you allow it.

thanks

Julian

9 hours ago, zebra said:

Question for @Brad: I'm working on an Il-62 double build - half of it in this GB, the other half was in the Africa GB. I didn't get the African one finished before that GB ended - could I finish it with the other one in this GB please? Will understand if not - might still post progress pics of both together but wouldn't put the African one in the gallery unless you allow it.

thanks

Julian

Hi mate ,having a quick look it seems like the African build is over 25% complete, thus it wouldn't be eligible for the gallery but I don't mind if you want to add a few progress pics in your IL-62 thread here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brad said:

Hi mate ,having a quick look it seems like the African build is over 25% complete, thus it wouldn't be eligible for the gallery but I don't mind if you want to add a few progress pics in your IL-62 thread here.

Cool, thanks

• Like 2

Had to make the heavy decisions due to some set backs, general modelling fatigue and stuggle with time management that I will not be finishing my 747 to try and make the deadline, that will become a long term project like the tankers that never got of the ground. I will proceed with the f-18 instead, a much more doable job.  Too much ambition and not enough mojo

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 7/14/2021 at 5:22 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Had to make the heavy decisions due to some set backs, general modelling fatigue and stuggle with time management that I will not be finishing my 747 to try and make the deadline, that will become a long term project like the tankers that never got of the ground. I will proceed with the f-18 instead, a much more doable job.  Too much ambition and not enough mojo

That's ok, I'd rather someone complete it and be happy than rush through it and not enjoy or like the end result.

• Like 1