The 'Unarmed' Group Build Chat

Brad

19 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Found another candidate atop the stash, so close to the ceiling It had fallen out of sight :bangin:.

spacer.png

Now again not knowing what I'll do, Spirit of St Louis or Super Constellation - my forever favourite airliner.

Definitely the Revell 1:144 Super Constellation!  

This is a relatively new tool isn’t it and not just a rebox of the old (not quite 1:144 scale from -bad - memory?) Monogram kit?  

Also one of my favourites after listening to @Graeme H ‘s telling of his trip to Butterworth on one as a young bloke. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Definitely the Revell 1:144 Super Constellation!  

This is a relatively new tool isn’t it and not just a rebox of the old (not quite 1:144 scale from -bad - memory?) Monogram kit?  

Also one of my favourites after listening to @Graeme H ‘s telling of his trip to Butterworth on one as a young bloke. 

The decal sheet mentions 2006. According to Scalemetes this is the first boxing of a newly tooled kit - 2007 (?)

Speaking of decals, these seem quite thick with much carrier film. I hope they'll be cooperative.

44 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Very keen too to see @Rabbit Leader ‘s build in this GB of the ‘armless Knight!  

Fully engrossed in my Beaufort build at the moment and really ought to go back to that Matchbox Wimpy when thats finished. I’m taking a fancy to some lesser known RAAF types at the moment, so let’s see what I eventually settle on when it’s time to start a GB WIP thread. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

HI.  I wasnt Planning to start any new builds on account I have no where to put them after. Also I was supposed to be doing something for the Texan/Harvard GB but at the moment I have no end scheme thought of for the Heller kit I do have. But I am very tempted in doing something for thisone and plan the below...

3EuIEE.jpg

My chosen scheme would be to do G_AIDN in either he yellow or pale blue versions for it.  So, if OK with you all, I'd like to enter this one.

PS: The Dutch decals will spare and unused......

• Like 2

Not sure what I'm going to build at the minute, but it will either be a rally car or an F1

Just finishing off a GB for another group then I'll pick the next victim and make a post :) 

Ian 

• Like 2

Hmm I have a few options for this GB now..I’m putting together the pieces of a New York Airways Boeing Vertol project at the moment that would fit the brief nicely, but could also build a Revell 2CV I have in the stash and also a Tamiya Bell X-1 “Mach Buster” that is waiting to be built.

• Like 1

Since a quarter of the fun is musing about the various options one will choose to build, I'll present my options along with a possible thread title for your feedback. And no, I will not do an Enzo, Pick one!

+ "Descending to 70,000 feet" a SR-71 Blackbird

+ "You ain't got a thing if you ain't got swing" A EF-111

+ "Unarmed, unafraid and alone" - A RF-4 Phantom (B or C)

+ "Eye of the storm" a RECCE Tornado. I have to confirm though yet, that German RECCE Tornados where/are indeed unarmed.

+ "Lost in France" the Mirage III-V VTOL Research aircraft.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Since a quarter of the fun is musing about the various options one will choose to build, I'll present my options along with a possible thread title for your feedback. And no, I will not do an Enzo, Pick one!

+ "Descending to 70,000 feet" a SR-71 Blackbird

+ "You ain't got a thing if you ain't got swing" A EF-111

+ "Unarmed, unafraid and alone" - A RF-4 Phantom (B or C)

+ "Eye of the storm" a RECCE Tornado. I have to confirm though yet, that German RECCE Tornados where/are indeed unarmed.

+ "Lost in France" the Mirage III-V VTOL Research aircraft.

I'm torn between wanting you to do the EF-111 so I can get tips for my build, and hoping you don't so mine doesn't compare badly! :) So I vote for the Blackbird! Lost in France can be done in the French Fancy 2 GB in July, isn't that right @Wez?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

I'm torn between wanting you to do the EF-111 so I can get tips for my build, and hoping you don't so mine doesn't compare badly! :) So I vote for the Blackbird! Lost in France can be done in the French Fancy 2 GB in July, isn't that right @Wez?

My favourite is the Phantom with the Blackbird in hot pursuit.

I am not sure I can give you many pointers on the Raven, as I will be building a Hasegawa kit. I am pretty sure though you can stand your ground against my build. You are welcome to follow my RF-111C build in the ANZAC GB. It is currently on hold, but I should recommence work on it by the middle of next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Naturally, I couldn't agree more. yes the French Fancy 2 starts on 14th July.

• Like 1

What to do? My F2F is nearly ready for paint, so it's time to choose a subject for this GB. I have 2 choices:

Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Gulfhawk II

gh2-start.jpg

Revell + OzMods 1/144 C-2A. I already have the E-2C in my display cabinet.

c2a-start0.jpg

Thoughts? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

What to do? My F2F is nearly ready for paint, so it's time to choose a subject for this GB. I have 2 choices:

Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Gulfhawk II

gh2-start.jpg

Revell + OzMods 1/144 C-2A. I already have the E-2C in my display cabinet.

c2a-start0.jpg

Thoughts? 

Gulfhawk... Having just built the kit myself as an F3F, you should enjoy it quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/04/2021 at 01:02, Brad said:

@Paul J I'm not familiar with those spitfires but I assume they were a trainer? They're in as long as they had a job you can point to.

@Mjwomack Yeh that's all good.

My plan was to do a light blue one operated by the Hampshire Aero Club back in the 1960's. G-AIDN was raced a few times in its life. SO a racer and club 'plaything' would be its duties.

• Like 1

My options have just increased again. 

IMG_20210416_205727

Really am struggling with decisions now. And they're both good for the "under a tenner" group too. 

Ermmmm..... 🤔⁉️

Somethings will definitely appear here, and it's kick off tomorrow, isn't it? 

This is going to be a good show I think 

• Like 4

A rummage through the stash has pulled these out. 

resized_1b97d81d-47df-4302-8233-7799ae72

The Traveller will be first and I really fancy the Sturgeon, but that's likely to be a longer term project. But given the time it's possibly achievable, as long as I don't let the yellow/black striped underside, cyano and the vac form transparencies get the better of me. Or at best cause procrastination. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 825 said:

as long as I don't let the yellow/black striped underside, cyano and the vac form transparencies get the better of me.

There you go..... Sounds like a breeze when you put it like that 😇

I've just been carving the Airfix Vintage Classics HP Jetstream into some sort of civil shape, so I'd be interested to see how the Amodel kit shapes up 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I'm tempted to throw my hat into the ring with this GB and enter with the Airfix 1/48 TSR2... Would that be allowed, or would it be classed as a prototype and be ineligible...?

If so, I'm sure I could find something else more suitable in my stash!😄

Yeh the TSR2 is a prototype, although as far as I am aware, they were meant to also provide photo recon, thus if you want to do one as the unarmed recon version (a what could have been type of thing), that would be fine.

Edited by Brad

Hello, can you please give some guidance on a subject for this GB please?

I have started a Matchbox Twin Otter and made some progress before this GB began. I have built up an interior (probably never to be seen again!), and modified the cockpit windscreen openings, as can be seen at this WIP

I have to admit that I think I have bitten off more than I can chew! I have another couple of Twin Otters, so, will it be okay if I use the interior and a fresh fuselage for this GB please, and I will still be building it as a Maldivian Taxi, but not quite so modified.

I will fully understand if the answer is 'No'.

This is what I have done:

DSCN7188

And, hopefully when complete, should look like one of these (my own personal photo):

IMG_20210410_0001 (2)

The answer to the cockpit window problem will be to get the Aerocraft resin nose, but I need to save up for it, as they also do replacement props and engine fronts along with new wheels too. I have tried a number of things to replace the windscreen and get that curve at the bottom, but nothing has worked so far.

If the answer is no, I still have the Russian VC-10 clone to do anyway so I will still be in!

Many thanks, Ray

• Like 4