The 'Unarmed' Group Build Chat

Brad

So I started researching my GeeBee for the GB and unfortunately realised I have the Lindbergh kit not the Williams one, the difference the Williams had a lovely detailed engine the one I have will have to go. The kit is available but for €50 or more, so buying one Isn’t an option. So now to figure out how to scratch a 1/32 wasp 1340. :( ( I hate making engines and wheels)

23e5215e-bb0d-4ea3-9c19-da0ed861e402.jpeNot that I can’t do it. I had to scratch the two Anzanis on the PB31 recently. But the cylinders on the wasp are much more complicated. I’m going to have to think about it a bit. 

Which also means I may start the GB with my Ford.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Yes to both as they have a specific job, but it would be a no to a warbird that is just privately owned.

This is kind of what I had in mind.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/who/case/227

Or this but you will need to scroll down to the second photo from 1971. 

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4511633.html

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

@Brad, with a week to go, need to confirm participation? The list on page 1 hasn't gotten updated in a while, so just curious. 

I’m not on the list and I’m an eager beaver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

I’m not on the list and I’m an eager beaver.

Same here. I've been browsing old build threads for ideas, my resin Pavla seat *hopefully* arrived in country yesterday. Just 7 more sleeps and I can start 😛

• Like 2

@TonyOD @Evil_Toast_RSA Oh yeh you're all good I have a list here I was going to ping everyone with a tag when the thread goes to the current GB page.

Here is the current list. If you're not on it and would like a reminder next week when we start, let me know.

Edited by Brad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh I didn't realise this is about to start. Well looking in my stash at the moment I have some Vulcans that I could build into XH558 or XK426 as the display aircraft (I think this would be acceptable? 558 especially was disarmed) or possibly a B2MRR which was unarmed, I've got a Mikromir Victor I could build into a Mk1 Victor tanker, a Do17F which I think was used as a reconnaissance variant (I'll have to research that one a bit) and that's about it. Could do one of those or it might be an online shopping trip to Hannants

Edit: just remembered I have an Airfix Whitley with options for an unarmed boac aircraft. That's a good candidate for this

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

I'm up for this if my subject is eligible!

I'd like to build a Casevac Ambulance Jeep, a Willys MB carrying stretchers (litters, if you're a Damned Colonial!). It's certainly unarmed, and I'll build it if it fits the bill.

I intend using this for a "Jeep" GB elsewhere that runs roughly concurrently to this one. Our esteemed GB Monitor Moderator approves this course of action, as does his

counterpart on the other forum.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, Marklo said:

So I started researching my GeeBee for the GB and unfortunately realised I have the Lindbergh kit not the Williams one, the difference the Williams had a lovely detailed engine the one I have will have to go. The kit is available but for €50 or more, so buying one Isn’t an option. So now to figure out how to scratch a 1/32 wasp 1340. :( ( I hate making engines and wheels)

23e5215e-bb0d-4ea3-9c19-da0ed861e402.jpeNot that I can’t do it. I had to scratch the two Anzanis on the PB31 recently. But the cylinders on the wasp are much more complicated. I’m going to have to think about it a bit. 

Which also means I may start the GB with my Ford.

What scale ? 

Found this, don't know if it will help ? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/engines-and-things-32030-pandw-r-1340-wasp-9-cyl-dd--1174830

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ahhh I didn't realise this is about to start. Well looking in my stash at the moment I have some Vulcans that I could build into XH558 or XK426 as the display aircraft (I think this would be acceptable? 558 especially was disarmed) or possibly a B2MRR which was unarmed, I've got a Mikromir Victor I could build into a Mk1 Victor tanker, a Do17F which I think was used as a reconnaissance variant (I'll have to research that one a bit) and that's about it. Could do one of those or it might be an online shopping trip to Hannants

Edit: just remembered I have an Airfix Whitley with options for an unarmed boac aircraft. That's a good candidate for this

I'm not very familiar with Vulcans, the idea is that the aircraft was disarmed for a job, so if it was one of the privately owned aircraft, then no. The same for any privately owned warbird that is just disarmed because she's privately owned. The Victor tanker is a yes, Doriner 17 recon is a yes provided they removed her defensive armament which I'm not sure about, the BOAC Whitley is a yes, that's a good one.

5 hours ago, Fifer54 said:

I'm up for this if my subject is eligible!

I'd like to build a Casevac Ambulance Jeep, a Willys MB carrying stretchers (litters, if you're a Damned Colonial!). It's certainly unarmed, and I'll build it if it fits the bill.

Yeh that's in, a good one.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Found this, don't know if it will help ? 

That would be the one. Finding one at a reasonable price is the kicker. I thought I had with an American website charging $5 but the postage was $75. But not to worry it’s well within my meagre modelling powers to scratch build one, figuring out how to make the cylinders might even be fun..,. 

On a separate note it also occurred to me that my Gloster Whittle and Heinkel 170 would qualify so that gives me a choice if 6 kits. I also want to scratch an Airacomet but that might be a bit too much given my current other builds and future GB commits, so I may save that one for the prototypes GB if it gets selected for next year.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

Gentlemen, we are up and running, please feel free to post your thread but remember to wait until the start date to break plastic.

@nimrod54
 @PattheCat
rob Lyttle @rob Lyttle

Great to see Rob commiting to 2 builds by putting his name in twice !

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4