1/48 Airfix Jaguar

Hay all,

It's been a long time coming since this build has been on the back burner for quite some time. As anyone that's built this kit knows, there is a LOT of issues with it. Needed a complete re-scribe, lots of filling of gaps, misalignment of parts...not fun. This kit caused me problems every step of the way...from the pitot tube on back. The only things that didn't fight me were the SAC metal landing gear and the Neo-Omega resin cockpit. I also was able to add someMikes resin Intakes, Paragon flaps, resin engines, and flaps thanks to some very kind members from this site. 

No detail pix as I am not happy with how it looks close up. Anyway here it is. Enjoy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope the pix show up. If not let me know. 

Thanks for the look.

Edited by Faceplate
missed a detail
  • Like 46

It is quite challenging, and a kit not often seen these days... I bailed out and sold mine some years ago as I didn't think I would be able to do it justice.  Hopefully we'll get a re-tool now you have made the supreme sacrifice! Didn't I hear the moulds are now either lost or broken for this kit? I think I read it somewhere... someone else here will know more.

Anyway, it's a big and impressive model so well worth your effort.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the accolades guys, I really appreciate it. Considering I'm not too happy about the way it came out. Like I mentioned in the post up top, it was a PITA to get together. At the very least, I know I can do decals on weapons now. Never attempted that before.

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks superb! Always like to see a Jag.

I'm planning to build this kit soon, did you do a WIP? What were the main issues, is it as bad a fit as the 1/48 Buccaneer?

Lord, I had a WIP in progress at one point but Photo-#$%^-it decided to start charging for the site and what I had up there I lost. 

As far as the issues....where to start. Fuselage halves going together aren't to bad, after that it's all downhill. The wings left huge gaps where they mate with fuselage; where the front of the wings meet at the fuselage/intakes is all messed up; the (tabs?) in between the flaps don't line up at all (does that make any sense?) If you look at the pic looking down from behind, just behind and under the rear of the Sidewinders you'll see this small tab in between the flaps I'm referring too. I had to reshape and build up each one so they didn't look to wonky. I used a Neo-Omega resin pit so as far as the kit one, I don't know. I used Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear and those weren't too bad. I put one of the kit pieces together to make sure I could get them to work right as the kit instructions are kind of vague. Needed to this due to the fact that each leg is composed of 6 pieces. The canopy has no real mounting point so you might want to fashion something for that. The weapons weren't to bad. And re-scribing the whole kit...SUX!!

So, in a really big nutshell, that's the deal with the kit. Biggest thing I can say, which can never be stated enough with a model...test fit the snot out every part on this kit 

Hopes this helps a bit. Good luck and have a tone of patience with this one

D

Edited by Faceplate
  • Thanks 1

I built this one many many years ago when it first came out, I recall it being a total pig as well, but it turned out quite well. Love your paint scheme.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, Work In Progress said:

Didn't I hear the moulds are now either lost or broken for this kit? I think I read it somewhere... someone else here will know more.

I believe Heller has the moulds for the 1/48 Jaguar kit; it was a joint project between Airfix and Heller anyway. The kit has recently appeared in a Revell box so the moulds clearly are still functional. I would assume Heller just sold bagged plastic parts to Revell and Revell made up their own instructions and decals.

Nice job on that big cat. I forgot how prominent the canals..I mean the panel lines, are on that kit. Love that winter camo scheme.

• Thanks 1