Africa GB chat

Col.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I’ve always fancied an Egyptian Rafale....

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Can't blame you. Is there decals available for those yet?

22 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Yikes! There might be an issue, I hadn’t thought about that 

Well, if you're talking 1/48th then worry not, these are showing up in the Big H's future releases.

These will also be available in 1/72nd too.

So fortune is smiling upon you :D

For anyone considering a French aircraft in Algeria, there's plenty of inspiration here.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Wez said:

Well, if you're talking 1/48th then worry not, these are showing up in the Big H's future releases.

These will also be available in 1/72nd too.

So fortune is smiling upon you :D

For anyone considering a French aircraft in Algeria, there's plenty of inspiration here.

Good shout on those decals Wez :thumbsup:

As for that Algerian link; you're a bad man! Easy to loose a lot of time in there and emerge with loads of inspiration :wub:

8 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Fictional I know  but anyone fancy a diorama based on:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=38

still listed on the HAT web-site as currently in their range,

?????

Fictional perhaps but all part of the Western view of Africa and therefore a part of the history.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Fictional perhaps but all part of the Western view of Africa and therefore a part of the history.

Sign me up then - if this passes the end of year bun-fight my offering may be this one - if not I have anther couple of "slightly different" ideas,

• Like 1

I'm up for this one. Got the Tamiya M1 Israeli Sherman and Star Decals for a Ugandan Army tank. All i'll need is a 35th scale Idi Amin to go in the turret! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Sign me up then - if this passes the end of year bun-fight my offering may be this one - if not I have anther couple of "slightly different" ideas,

Cool. Different is good and what makes GBs more interesting as well as worthwhile :) 

2 hours ago, fatfingers said:

I'm up for this one. Got the Tamiya M1 Israeli Sherman and Star Decals for a Ugandan Army tank. All i'll need is a 35th scale Idi Amin to go in the turret! 

Regards,

Steve

There's a figure conversion that's got to be worth doing :D 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Oh Yes! Il-28 in Biafra War markings for me. Thanks to Bobcat and Hi-Decals :D A rather nasty little conflict that gets forgotten nowadays. There's always Jesus Christ Airways for 'civilian' fans.

That's a couple of good choices :thumbsup:  Heard good things about the Bobcat kit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm sure interested!

Glad to have your company for this one Giorgio :D 

Any thoughts on potential subjects?

17 minutes ago, Col. said:

Glad to have your company for this one Giorgio :D 

Any thoughts on potential subjects?

Too many to choose from at the moment. Having both of Tom Cooper's volumes on African MiGs I may find inspiration there for a MiG-21 or a Su-25. I also have decals for several African F-5s that may find their way on a model. Last but not least, the MB.326 and the Magister were used by a few countries in the continent and I have both in the stash

23 minutes ago, John said:

I'm up for a bit of this!

John

Cool :) Any subjects planned John?

5 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Too many to choose from at the moment. Having both of Tom Cooper's volumes on African MiGs I may find inspiration there for a MiG-21 or a Su-25. I also have decals for several African F-5s that may find their way on a model. Last but not least, the MB.326 and the Magister were used by a few countries in the continent and I have both in the stash

That's an excellent selection of options Giorgio :D Tom Cooper's books are always good for inspiration.

I'm definitely interested in this. 

I can't say exactly what I'd build but I'm a big fan of more obscure, out of the ordinary subjects

Edit: Possibly an Eritrean or Ethiopian bit of Russian kit 😎

Edit 2: Wow, I've tumbled into a veritable wormhole of possibilities here. The variety of aircraft East African nations have fielded is amazing! From Canberras to SU-27UBKs, Mig-21s, Connies... 🤗

Edited by Shashman
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Shashman said:

I'm definitely interested in this. 

I can't say exactly what I'd build but I'm a big fan of more obscure, out of the ordinary subjects

Edit: Possibly an Eritrean or Ethiopian bit of Russian kit 😎

Excellent :D Obscure and less ordinary options are plentiful within this GB proposal and your two nations are great choices :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, Giorgio N said:

the MB.326 and the Magister 

These are both excellent choices and represent air forces that seldom find their way on to the pages of BM. I have just taken delivery of the very nice Max Decals sheet for international Fouga Magisters to go with my Kinetic twin boxing and am looking very closely at the options from Senegal and Togo, and then there are some nice MB 326's from Zaire and Zambia. then there's also the possibility of an Alpha Jet from Cote d'Ivore..... oh dear, it begins!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

These are both excellent choices and represent air forces that seldom find their way on to the pages of BM. I have just taken delivery of the very nice Max Decals sheet for international Fouga Magisters to go with my Kinetic twin boxing and am looking very closely at the options from Senegal and Togo, and then there are some nice MB 326's from Zaire and Zambia. then there's also the possibility of an Alpha Jet from Cote d'Ivore..... oh dear, it begins!!!!!!!!

That's quite a subject selection you've got :clap: Question is do you have sufficient kits and time to go full W.W.E.M.D?

22 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Who's gonna sculpt and paint Toto on stage, playing... you know what song :coat:

Oooh! If anyone does they'd be most welcome :D 

1 minute ago, Col. said:

That's quite a subject selection you've got :clap: Question is do you have sufficient kits and time to go full W.W.E.M.D?

Two Fougas, one Alpha Jet and one MB-326 (as of now :) ) so yes I'm good to go W.W.E.M.D. all I need is to self isolate for about 3 months at the appropriate time.

• Haha 2

On 14/03/2020 at 13:34, Col. said:

As for that Algerian link; you're a bad man! Easy to loose a lot of time in there and emerge with loads of inspiration

Picture of innocence me! :whistle:

Anyway, got shed loads of options for Alpha Jets, Magisters, Skyraiders as well as French colonial stuff (more Skyraiders, Avengers, Mistral, Vampire, Texan, Toucan, Mirages...), plus some Portuguese G-91s and Invaders but Berna decals are going to be re-releasing this sheet for MiG-17s which has plenty of colourful options - a good excuse to buy the new Airfix kit methinks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Picture of innocence me! :whistle:

Anyway, got shed loads of options for Alpha Jets, Magisters, Skyraiders as well as French colonial stuff (more Skyraiders, Avengers, Mistral, Vampire, Texan, Toucan, Mirages...), plus some Portuguese G-91s and Invaders but Berna decals are going to be re-releasing this sheet for MiG-17s which has plenty of colourful options - a good excuse to buy the new Airfix kit methinks!

:lol: 

Was having a look at that same sheet last night along with Part 2 and Xtradecal's sheet so have established a need for at least four more copies of the kit in my stash now :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Add me to the list please.

Gladly. You take us to 28 names and thus we're only two away from making the November vote :) 

Yes!

South Afrikan Cheetah maybe? Or a Grpen two-seater ?

Or something Egyptian or, Lybian would fit my bill!

Wait there is also the strange aireal  skimishes and bloody wars between Eritrea and Ethopia! - remember MiG-29 vs. Su-27a

• Like 2