Africa GB chat

Col.

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'm up for this gb, it'll  be a  hobbyboss or zvezda  mi-8-17 hip  with the casper sheet that @modelling minion put me onto, cheers pal ,  I've  got all sorts of extras for both kits , and the pavla engine conversion for the hobbyboss one ,but only if necessary, 😁 maybe some will remember craigs hip  from a couple of years ago , need to do a bit more swotting up first  though , really looking forward to building this 

Cool, welcome along Glynn :) (even if you did just admit to binning a Harrier kit :crying:)

15 hours ago, Beazer said:

If it’s not too late, I’ll join in on this group build.

Haven't decided yet what to build, maybe a Folgore.

Welcome to the fun :) We've a little while left yet before it all starts so still time to firm up a list of options ;) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

:) (even if you did just admit to binning a Harrier kit

Col ,I'd got it 90% done  ,the canopy on those old esci/italeri kits are flimsy at best,  but  the back part disintegrated upon fitting the canopy closed , combined with the sanding  and work i did on the intakes I'm  sorry to say i threw the toys right out of the pram ,

a combination of fat fingers and tamiya thin, an airfix one will be a much safer bet ,and less work ,

you may be pleased to hear the 72nd buccaneer lives, and is very close to completion, maybe one day the vision of a 72nd scale modern  raf/ rn  in flight collection will bear fruit if i can keep calm

• Like 1

I've been scratching my head as to what I should attempt for this GB. I want to avoid "the usual suspects", as in subject matter that will likely be very well (and expertly) covered by others. I also want to avoid most of the subject matter that would qualify for some of the other upcoming GBs. Moreover, I don't have much (if anything) in the line of after-market decals for African subjects.

So ... I'm thinking of the Heller Sukhoi 27UB with Eritrean markings, courtesy of an excellent decal sheet produced by Eduard:

261433-15582-90-pristine.jpg

I'm also thinking I should get my head examined, but what's new there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, klr said:

I've been scratching my head as to what I should attempt for this GB. I want to avoid "the usual suspects", as in subject matter that will likely be very well (and expertly) covered by others. I also want to avoid most of the subject matter that would qualify for some of the other upcoming GBs. Moreover, I don't have much (if anything) in the line of after-market decals for African subjects.

So ... I'm thinking of the Heller Sukhoi 27UB with Eritrean markings, courtesy of an excellent decal sheet produced by Eduard:

261433-15582-90-pristine.jpg

I'm also thinking I should get my head examined, but what's new there?

While the MiG-17 sounds as if it'll be a popular subject in this GB there's not so many Su-27 being mentioned. If the Heller kit is anything like its single seat Airfix brother the fit is a little gappy but plenty filler will give you an accurate model.

27 minutes ago, Col. said:

While the MiG-17 sounds as if it'll be a popular subject in this GB there's not so many Su-27 being mentioned. If the Heller kit is anything like its single seat Airfix brother the fit is a little gappy but plenty filler will give you an accurate model.

I have the Airfix single-seater kit of old - bought it way back in 1991! This Heller kit not only has different parts for the two-seater, it has recessed panel lines on both the "new" upper fuselage and existing airframe parts. I thought (assumed?) the Airfix kit had raised panel lines, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, and the Scalemates chronology for this tooling suggests likewise. I probably haven't looked at the Airfix kit in many years, it being buried at the bottom of a stash many miles from where I live.

Anyway, I've already dry-fitted some of the airframe parts of the Heller kit, and yes, there will be filler! But I can live with that, having built two old F-16 kits last year - Airfix and Fujimi, They both required lots of filler, and painstaking work to ensure realistic smooth transitions across all of those curved surfaces. This Flanker kit should actually be better in some respects.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Ooh!   Deep Stash!   :D 

It's the "free standing" stash, which occupies a lot of space in a spare room in the old family home. Removing the Airfix Flanker kit for inspection could be a delicate job.

I had to rebuild parts of that stash over Christmas to guard against it just toppling over in my (long COVID-19 enforced) absences ...

On 1/18/2021 at 10:51 AM, klr said:

I'm thinking of the Heller Sukhoi 27UB with Eritrean markings,

I'm doing the same, but with OOB decals. See you there!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I'm doing the same, but with OOB decals. See you there!

I'm using the kit decals as well!

I might have a re-think though, since I'd like to build something no-one else is doing (as per my comment above). But since my choice of "unusual" African-related subject matter is limited, and since I've been looking for an excuse to build this kit since I bought it ... we shall see.

10 minutes ago, klr said:

I'm using the kit decals as well!

Oh I see - the kit decals are by Eduard? I hadn't looked that closely.  I thought you were talking about an aftermarket sheet. (I did think it a bit odd when there are Eritrean markings with the kit).

Don't let me put you off doing the Flanker! The more the merrier... I'm also doing a little Congolese Alouette chopper. Or that's the plan at least...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, klr said:

I might have a re-think though, since I'd like to build something no-one else is doing

My kind of guy! ;)

Martin

24 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Don't let me put you off doing the Flanker! The more the merrier... I'm also doing a little Congolese Alouette chopper. Or that's the plan at least...

I need to do a can for you, Tony!!!! Sorry, I forgot!

Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klr said:

I have the Airfix single-seater kit of old - bought it way back in 1991! This Heller kit not only has different parts for the two-seater, it has recessed panel lines on both the "new" upper fuselage and existing airframe parts. I thought (assumed?) the Airfix kit had raised panel lines, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, and the Scalemates chronology for this tooling suggests likewise. I probably haven't looked at the Airfix kit in many years, it being buried at the bottom of a stash many miles from where I live.

Anyway, I've already dry-fitted some of the airframe parts of the Heller kit, and yes, there will be filler! But I can live with that, having built two old F-16 kits last year - Airfix and Fujimi, They both required lots of filler, and painstaking work to ensure realistic smooth transitions across all of those curved surfaces. This Flanker kit should actually be better in some respects.

All recessed panel lines on the Airfix kit as well :D The one I'm half-way stalled on converting to the P-42 lives close to the workbench so double-checked for you.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, AaronKSJ said:

I've ordered a Tamiya Me 109 Trop so I'll be joining this 😁

It'll make a nice change from my usual British & US aircraft!

Added you to the list Aaron :) 

17 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'm also doing some research to find a project that no-one else is doing. The supervisor is unimpressed....

spacer.png

A nice source of inspiration you have there Tim but perhaps your supervisor would be more impressed were you to find a kit of a lion or cheetah? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

How do chaps,

This is what I'm hoping to build.

Var0tK3.jpg

With the markings for a Ugandan tank 🇺🇬

NscWHLR.jpg

Regards,

Steve

Cool! That's certainly something out of the normal :speak_cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Col. said:

Cool! That's certainly something out of the normal :speak_cool:

Thanks Col,

Thats the main reason I went for it. Mind you that Somali M47 is a bit unusual too and i've got the Revell rebox of the Italeri kit in the stash 🤔

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Thanks Col,

Thats the main reason I went for it. Mind you that Somali M47 is a bit unusual too and i've got the Revell rebox of the Italeri kit in the stash 🤔

Regards,

Steve

So there's your second project for the GB sorted :D 

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2021 at 22:31, Tim R-T-C said:

I'm also doing some research to find a project that no-one else is doing. The supervisor is unimpressed....

spacer.png

That book looks rather interesting and I see AZ are bringing out a suitable version of the Bouchon...   ...mmm :hmmm: