Africa GB chat

Col.

34 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

A Botswana F-5 has been on my list of favourite subjects for a few years but I'll not be building it at the moment, will be interesting to see one.

Yet to decide what to build, I have several MiG-21, 17 and Magister options and will likely be one of them. A Tunisian F-5 is also interesting but for some reason when I think of Africa I'm drawn toward the sub-saharian countries.... Tunisia is closer to the southern tip of my Country than this is to my city, so in a sense I'm used to consider Northern Africa as part of the Mediterranean more than of Africa itself... not that I would lack options for these countries, I have some interesting ones... just to name one, how many knew that Algeria use MiG-25s ?

Am I correct in thinking Algeria was the first export customer for the MiG-25? As they often were for front line Soviet equipment.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

just to name one, how many knew that Algeria use MiG-25s ?

They certainly did, Giorgio. I. Fact a few flew around North Africa from Libya and Algeria. :)

Martin

PS: I forgot to mention the Soviets who flew, in Egyptian colours I think, from Egypt

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Col. said:

Am I correct in thinking Algeria was the first export customer for the MiG-25? As they often were for front line Soviet equipment.

Yes, they were the first real export customers. I say real as earlier there had been Soviet aircraft operating over Egypt and these IIRC had Egyptian markings

• Like 1

I have a MPM (later boxings are labeled Special Hobby) A-20B Havoc "MTO" boxing (#72557) which would be good for this one even on its own right, OOB, BUT (there´s always a but) I do have a set of decals for a SAAF Boston Mk III too (A South African in North Africa, kinda covers the whole continent). The plastics for both variants appear to be present, as that´s the Czech way of packing kits :yahoo:. There are some differences between an A-20B and Boston Mk. III which I believe would be handled properly enough if I would follow the instructions for the MPM "RAF & SAAF Service" boxing (#72559) BUT these instructions don´t seem to be available on-line. Anybody able to assist me with this? V-P

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, RidgeRunner said:

I'm pleased to report the Airfix MiG-17F on its way from the Big H together with masks and pitots :). I have the decals so I'm good to go! I already have the Morava, which has the Malian decals. :)

Martin 

It looks like I might be in with two MiG-17s - Malian and Malagasy :). The Morava might have to wait a little as, I think, it will be more time consuming.

Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It looks like I might be in with two MiG-17s - Malian and Malagasy :). The Morava might have to wait a little as, I think, it will be more time consuming.

Martin

I’ve actually ordered two more plus decals ;)... it might - just might - be a multi-build :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’ve actually ordered two more plus decals ;)... it might - just might - be a multi-build :)

Ooh! This is getting even more interesting. Any thoughts on which markings you'll choose for these new two?

Whilst having a rummage through the expansive decal stash yesterday evening I re-found more decal sheets with very nice options for African subjects including Alpha Jets and Fouga Magisters, not to mention the Zotz "Roundels of the World" sets on Africa. If we ask Enzo nicely do you think he will grant us an 8 month extension to the GB so that I have a chance of getting quite a few done that have been on my "to do" list for ages?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Whilst having a rummage through the expansive decal stash yesterday evening I re-found more decal sheets with very nice options for African subjects including Alpha Jets and Fouga Magisters, not to mention the Zotz "Roundels of the World" sets on Africa. If we ask Enzo nicely do you think he will grant us an 8 month extension to the GB so that I have a chance of getting quite a few done that have been on my "to do" list for ages?

Perhaps we need to get Africa GB parts I, II, III, and IV to run consecutively next year? :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, John said:

I've got an Airfix MiG-17 and the Xtradecal sheet - tempting...😀

John

I've got three, John :). I'll attempt a multi-build but I'm generally slow so I might not get them all done within the GB! :( 🐌

Martin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I've got three, John :). I'll attempt a multi-build but I'm generally slow so I might not get them all done within the GB! :( 🐌

Martin

Multiple builds of the same kit actually go together quicker than you think Martin. Once you get the hang of painting the same sub-assemblies at the same time it works quite well. 

Thanks @RidgeRunner for putting me on to this GB. 

I'd like to join in if I may?

I'm sure I can find a few candidates in the stash. Although I think I'd like to do something fairly straightforward to give myself a fighting chance of finishing. 

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:49 AM, John said:

I've got an Airfix MiG-17 and the Xtradecal sheet - tempting...😀

John

Then by all means let us tempt you :D 

On 12/22/2020 at 11:02 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Now there's a mini-GB in its own right :lol:

On 12/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, RidgeRunner said:

If only I was that organised!!! ;)

Here's a good chance to try it out ;) As @modelling minion say you only need remember to keep doing the same thing three times :D 

On 12/22/2020 at 12:41 PM, Anthony Kesterton said:

I would like to join this group build please (might even finish something this time).  Options include Angolan Migs, SAAF F1 or III's, some SADF armour or Angolan tanks.  Not quite decided yet but generally looking at the Angolan war period.

All those sound good options but don't let Enzo read that or he'll be having you do them all! W.W.E.M.D ;) 

On 12/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, Smudge said:

Thanks @RidgeRunner for putting me on to this GB. 

I'd like to join in if I may?

I'm sure I can find a few candidates in the stash. Although I think I'd like to do something fairly straightforward to give myself a fighting chance of finishing. 

Cheers.

You're in fella. Happy hunting in the stash and let us know what you find :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 11:02 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Oo er ..... I now have a dilemma. I have three kits - and all assigned a finish - and now fancy a Nile Valley Egyptian machine! I’ve always liked that colour scheme and now think I should drop the Malagasy machine in favour of this. Then again I might change my mind tomorrow! ;)

Martin

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oo er ..... I now have a dilemma. I have three kits - and all assigned a finish - and now fancy a Nile Valley Egyptian machine! I’ve always liked that colour scheme and now think I should drop the Malagasy machine in favour of this. Then again I might change my mind tomorrow! ;)

Martin

Might I suggest you build it in the MiG-21 STGB thats been put forward ? :whistle: ... shamelessly plugging my own build here. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well I just got my self sorted for this one, Hasegawa Mirage F.1c and SAAF decals for a camouflaged bird late 70’s. Still looking for a standard Mirage III, F-86, or Some sort of Armor for a secondary build. 

Nice subject choice Dennis :thumbsup: Good luck hunting out the other options.

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Easy cure there Martin; get another kit ;) 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Might I suggest you build it in the MiG-21 STGB thats been put forward ? :whistle: ... shamelessly plugging my own build here. 

Oi you! I seen him first :lol: Okay then maybe get yourself two more kits so we can share you Martin :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hmmm, Dennis, not sure .... That would then be a PF With the fin fin but upper chute fairing .... maybe ..... just maybe ... 

Martin are you talking Mig-17's or 21's here?

Both of them carried the Nile Delta camo and there were more than one variant of the 21 to carry it.