Africa GB chat

Col.

9 minutes ago, Touvdal said:

Would like to enter this GB, give possibility to build some different models.

20210213_094004

Cheers

Jes

Welcome to the fun Jes :D You're bringing a nice selection of kits to the party :thumbsup:

Your Art MiG-23UB in particular caught me eye as I'm tempted to add one to my own stash. Have you any initial thoughts on the kit?

18 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

:yahoo:This should move from future to current group builds tomorrow - it means we get to start our build threads then :yahoo:

Looking forward to that

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Your Art MiG-23UB in particular caught me eye as I'm tempted to add one to my own stash. Have you any initial thoughts on the kit?

That would like great in Libyan markings ;), and how about French Dauntless and Ju88 :)

Martin 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Welcome to the fun Jes :D You're bringing a nice selection of kits to the party :thumbsup:

The details on the kit is on the soft side, have 2 seats and exhaust pipe in resin, will post the parts when the GB begins, alot of decal options 8 different contries.

cheers

Jes

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, vppelt68 said:

:yahoo:This should move from future to current group builds tomorrow - it means we get to start our build threads then :yahoo:

Ooohhhh, which project to start with?

If I ignore all my other WIP builds I have a clear bench... 😏

• Haha 4

Still have a week to decide but this kit is sparking the mojo, the ancient Revell / Monogram 1/32nd Hawker Hurricane I which was originally released in 1969. The kit was revamped as a Hurricane II C in 1986 and this 'Limited Edition' release of 2009 contains the parts for the II C.

50938462528_7fef347702_b.jpgIMGP4142 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

The connection with Africa is that I want to build a Hurricane II C operated by No 11 OTU out of Waterkloof, South Africa, from January to April 1945. Specifically I want to build "H" 5268 as flown on 25th January 1945.

50938465233_19a446bd51_b.jpgHurricaneIIC307Waterkloof45DWB1280 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I have two reasons for doing this build. One is 'family' and the other is that I have only ever built one aircraft in this scale and that was a jet. I have very little knowledge of the Hurricane, or how to build a World War 2 fighter so there will be a lot of learning involved, as well as advice asked! Should be interesting. Seven days to decide. Michael

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

Still have a week to decide but this kit is sparking the mojo, the ancient Revell / Monogram 1/32nd Hawker Hurricane I which was originally released in 1969. The kit was revamped as a Hurricane II C in 1986 and this 'Limited Edition' release of 2009 contains the parts for the II C.

The connection with Africa is that I want to build a Hurricane II C operated by No 11 OTU out of Waterkloof, South Africa, from January to April 1945. Specifically I want to build "H" 5268 as flown on 25th January 1945.

50938465233_19a446bd51_b.jpgHurricaneIIC307Waterkloof45DWB1280 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I have two reasons for doing this build. One is 'family' and the other is that I have only ever built one aircraft in this scale and that was a jet. I have very little knowledge of the Hurricane, or how to build a World War 2 fighter so there will be a lot of learning involved, as well as advice asked! Should be interesting. Seven days to decide. Michael

Yes please!

Modelzone, there's a name from long ago.

When it says 7500 pieces, I take that to mean production run of 7500 because if that kits got 7,500 pieces I recommend making full use of the 25% rule to give yourself a chance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Yes please!

Modelzone, there's a name from long ago.

When it says 7500 pieces, I take that to mean production run of 7500 because if that kits got 7,500 pieces I recommend making full use of the 25% rule to give yourself a chance!

I purchased the kit in May 2010 and Modelzone ceased trading in 2013, I didn't realise that it was nearly eight years ago! I counted the parts in the kit, fifty three in total  so no head start needed 😎

If I recall correctly Revell were re-releasing a lot of their old kits around this time under the 'Limited Edition Classics' label. Many ended up being sold at half price in Modelzone.

Michael

• Like 3

Itching to get to start that B-25C... I'd be perfectly happy to go with the kit supplied decals for the Desert Warrior, but backdated to its time in operational duty in North Africa. That'd mean dropping the flashy war bond tour decals and using the earlier (stars without bars) national insignia, that come with the kit for the ASW a/c option. Probably too nice and cheap option to pass.

But Xtradecal X72273 does have some nice North African options too :whistle:

@Col. an eligibility question: Would a South African Air Force airplane be ok even though it would have been deployed outside of the African continent?

• Like 1

Can I join this one too please?  I've studied my stash and don't have much to offer (a couple of op torch Airfix club kits, a very old KP mig-21 maybe), so will have to scour the online retailers for something more interesting :)

Still not decided what to join with, but definitely something oddball.

• Like 2

Poor @Enzo Matrix. He must be getting fed up with us lot pestering him already and the GB is still a week away from starting :lol:

18 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Ooohhhh, which project to start with?

If I ignore all my other WIP builds I have a clear bench... 😏

I like your thinking :D 

18 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Very nice subject choice Michael and that it has a family connection for you makes it even better :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Itching to get to start that B-25C... I'd be perfectly happy to go with the kit supplied decals for the Desert Warrior, but backdated to its time in operational duty in North Africa. That'd mean dropping the flashy war bond tour decals and using the earlier (stars without bars) national insignia, that come with the kit for the ASW a/c option. Probably too nice and cheap option to pass.

But Xtradecal X72273 does have some nice North African options too :whistle:

@Col. an eligibility question: Would a South African Air Force airplane be ok even though it would have been deployed outside of the African continent?

That sounds good and as you say a great opportunity to make use of what's supplied in the box :) 

As to your SAAF subject outwith Africa; yes, perfectly eligible. Anything of African origin is good regardless of where it went. Anything of external origin in Africa is good. Any part of Africa's rich history is good. It all helps to tell a little of Africa's long story.

15 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Can I join this one too please?  I've studied my stash and don't have much to offer (a couple of op torch Airfix club kits, a very old KP mig-21 maybe), so will have to scour the online retailers for something more interesting :)

Still not decided what to join with, but definitely something oddball.

Of course you can :D Any of those options are fine but if this is a good reason to do a little bit of stash augmentation go for it ;) 

• Like 1

I’m going to dig into the airing cupboard secret house stash and grab my chosen kit. Desert 109. I’m also wondering if a u-boat operating off Africa can be considered too?...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I’m going to dig into the airing cupboard secret house stash and grab my chosen kit. Desert 109. I’m also wondering if a u-boat operating off Africa can be considered too?...

Anything operating off the coast of Africa is good as well :) 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Wez said:

@Enzo Matrix So when does this one move to the Current GBs then, I'm itching to start my build thread!

Impatient of Hampshire...  :tease:

Haven't you got a Classic Heller GB to close out first ? 

As host all 150 completed builds in the Gallery are expecting a PM for you as Host, personalized obviously  :giggle:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

Ah, I can understand the impatience ...
Apart from the Interceptors, the Gulf War, and the ANZAC Group Builds, there are no winggie options in GBs right now.

Thankfully, there is the Pz III GB for those of us who don't mind crawling around in the mud

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/13/2021 at 5:13 PM, Wez said:

@Enzo Matrix So when does this one move to the Current GBs then, I'm itching to start my build thread!

Impatient of Hampshire...  :tease:

I suspect Enzio is fulfilling a public service role by not opening this up until after Sunday so that there isn't a lot of sprue fondling taking place on Valentines; he's just trying to keep the homicide count down!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

I suspect Enzio is fulfilling a public service role by not opening this up until after Sunday so that there isn't a lot of sprue fondling taking place on Valentines; he's just trying to keep the homicide count down!

Or any other AFVs for that matter... Oh right, you're talking about Valentine's Day, not the tank :doh:

It's either that or our Enzo is busy fulfilling other obligations today and not fondling plastic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@helios16v, @trickyrich, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Marlin, @Rabbit Leader, @Erwin@franky boy, @Valkyrie, @JOCKNEY, @Angus Tura, @jean, @CliffB, @gary from darwin, @Wez, @RidgeRunner, @modelling minion, @Arniec, @TEMPESTMK5, @Paul821, @fatfingers, @SleeperService, @Giorgio N, @John, @Shashman, @Stephen, @exdraken, @Tim R-T-C, @Hockeyboy76, @Grandboof, @Daniel, @Bbdave, @zebra, @Aardvark, @JosephLalor, @Roland Pulfrew, @Foxbat, @stevehnz, @Anthony Kesterton, @Smudge, @ajmm, @Hewy, @Beazer, @AaronKSJ, @DaveJL, @Mach82, @mitchem, @Touvdal, @tangerine_sedge

Thanks to @Enzo Matrix we have a GB up and running gang :yahoo: @vppelt68 has already fired up his thread so has a head start on us all :lol: Obviously we're still in the 'phoney war' stage until the 20th but feel free to set up your own individual threads in the meantime :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Somewhere out there there is a Beagle crawling over broken glass to get to me. I'm getting all nostalgic for the letter and International Money Order days...I just know that if I order another they'll both be delivered the same day.

Great idea! Then you can do a double build :thumbsup:

Gosh, back in the days before internet, getting a paper copy of a catalogue or reading about it in a magazine advert and posting a letter containing a Postal Order or cheque. Some companies even sent an order form to fill in for your next purchase. Then here we are in the 'one click', 'buy it now' age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Great idea! Then you can do a double build :thumbsup:

Gosh, back in the days before internet, getting a paper copy of a catalogue or reading about it in a magazine advert and posting a letter containing a Postal Order or cheque. Some companies even sent an order form to fill in for your next purchase. Then here we are in the 'one click', 'buy it now' age.

But you had to walk five miles in the snow to send it ! 

• Haha 1