Africa GB chat

Col.

So the Africa GB is now well underway, and most of us have chosen and started our projects. However, back when I first contemplated entering a build, my thoughts turned to an old ESCI decal sheet that I have, and have always fancied doing something with. Especially the Congo markings. Unfortunately I have never been able to find any images of aircraft wearing anything like these. Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to how I could use any of them??  Leopoldville or Brazzaville.

Here's the said markings/decals

ESCI Congo decals

I think they would be pretty nice to use on something, but what?

Help...............

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hi @Col.

Wondering if this could be used? Tamiya's Toyota Celica GT- Four in Safari Rally trim.

51047668837_a61b282525_z.jpg

Probably purchased when the kit was first released and I'd made a start on it at some point as well...

50997026674_abb763507c_z.jpg

50997026709_ebf89a3ded_z.jpg

I don't think that much has been assembled yet but want your opinion if it's still under 25% or not? 

Looks like that I have to start from scratch with the painting as the white Humbrol enamel has yellowed (Or even "creamed" in this case) over the years.

TIA

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
Wrong Col!
  • Like 3

Working up to starting a thread on this. 

resized_eef0ecc0-0e2d-4657-a20d-ccafb72c

Made in South Africa, used by South African forces in North and East Africa. Should meet the brief. 

• Like 5

On 3/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, Smudge said:

So the Africa GB is now well underway, and most of us have chosen and started our projects. However, back when I first contemplated entering a build, my thoughts turned to an old ESCI decal sheet that I have, and have always fancied doing something with. Especially the Congo markings. Unfortunately I have never been able to find any images of aircraft wearing anything like these. Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to how I could use any of them??  Leopoldville or Brazzaville.

ESCI Congo decals

Help...............

if you can find a kit ..... 25-1.jpg

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/soldiers-from-congo-brazzaville-part-of-the-multinaional-news-photo/158836328

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:57 PM, Bonhoff said:

Hi @Col.

Wondering if this could be used? Tamiya's Toyota Celica GT- Four in Safari Rally trim.

51047668837_a61b282525_z.jpg

Probably purchased when the kit was first released and I'd made a start on it at some point as well...

50997026674_abb763507c_z.jpg

50997026709_ebf89a3ded_z.jpg

I don't think that much has been assembled yet but want your opinion if it's still under 25% or not? 

Looks like that I have to start from scratch with the painting as the white Humbrol enamel has yellowed (Or even "creamed" in this case) over the years.

TIA

IanJ

Excellent subject choice Ian and well within the 25% mark so feel free to get a WiP thread going :thumbsup:

On 3/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, 825 said:

Working up to starting a thread on this. 

resized_eef0ecc0-0e2d-4657-a20d-ccafb72c

Made in South Africa, used by South African forces in North and East Africa. Should meet the brief. 

Meets it in every way :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, Smudge said:

ESCI Congo decals

Help...............

Really difficult!

T-28 Trojan maybe?

http://nebula.wsimg.com/ad0ebb64bcb753ca2cbb925e3ae2b3ac?AccessKeyId=DA61B2B29BDEF385013B&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

:D looks like a good 'un. Thanks for having a look.

alternatively a T-6 Texan... 

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/80/246/0

also in Katanga (opponents, Élisabethville its capital, today Lubumbashi)

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/80/36/0

these are th complete decals it seems:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEBANON-2-X-CONGO-MEXICO-PHILIPPINES-LIBYA-OLD-STYLE-INSIGNIA-ESCI-DECALS-1-72-/264801874116

• Thanks 1

and now finally my actually first guess:

the MB-326 better fits ESCI and some other operators...

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/a/925/171/0

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/925/pics/171_1.jpg

or a Magister:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/o/74/36/0

you probably need this book;

https://www.casematepublishers.com/air-wars-over-congo-volume-1-1960-1968.html

this decals set is definitely a mix of planes and markings

I can also offer now the T.11 Vampire is use with Katanga (and one destroyed by Swedish Saab J29 Tunnans) .. strange conflict!

https://www.walterdorn.net/pdf/AirPowerInCongo-ONUC-1961-63_Dorn_Mas_Compressed-96dpi-red_21Jan2015.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I just found a 1/72 scale "Fieseler FI.156 Stroch with kubelwagen" kit on a flea market last week, and i did remember seeing the Africa GB, and I thought it would be perfect for this. So count me in on this one :) I'll start a thread very soon ;) 

• Like 2

It is an interesting GB for sure - but somehow I'm struggling to find a suitable subject. My candidates so far are Airfix MiG-17 for which I have some aftermarket stuff and decals - but still lacking the kit. Kinda hoping to keep that for the possible MiG-17 STGB though. Then I have Heller/Revell Alpha Jet lacking the decals - I'm sure there are some africa related around that would fit the build. Maybe.

But I guess I'm still waiting for the right build to come along so that I can join the fun. Until then, I'm gonna enjoy your builds, there are many really cool ones for sure!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, reini said:

Heller/Revell Alpha Jet

Amongst others, Egypt and Morocco use Alphajets!

In thjs GB here, you can build nearly everything... just need the right argument :D

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, reini said:

It is an interesting GB for sure - but somehow I'm struggling to find a suitable subject. My candidates so far are Airfix MiG-17 for which I have some aftermarket stuff and decals - but still lacking the kit. Kinda hoping to keep that for the possible MiG-17 STGB though. Then I have Heller/Revell Alpha Jet lacking the decals - I'm sure there are some africa related around that would fit the build. Maybe.

But I guess I'm still waiting for the right build to come along so that I can join the fun. Until then, I'm gonna enjoy your builds, there are many really cool ones for sure!

Get a couple of MiG-17 kits and some Alpha Jet decals - problems solved ;) 

• Haha 1

I am thinking on continue my Italo-Abyssinian war topic. So after Fiat CR 20 and Romeo Ro 1 I have dog out from stash Caproni 111 (Broplan vacu- of course for Italian side scheme), Farman 190 (SBS resin kit - for Abyssinian Farman 192, so with changed engine) and Fokker F VII A (Broplan vacu, also for Abyssinian side as Red Cross ambulance). However I did not finished Ro-1 yet and have also 3 other models in advanced construction stage on desk now, it will be good to finish them before starting something else.  I am afraid, that I will not finish all three (Ca 111, Farman 192, Fokker)  in two months which are ahead in this GB. But there are suitable two other GB - "anything but injection" (where all three are fulfilling rules) and "unarmed" which ends later. So I am almost decided that I will enter here with one of them (Caproni or Farman), the second one will go for "noting but injection" and Fokker will go for "unarmed"....

That perhaps a good plan for close future builds.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

I'll be keeping an eye on this once my work schedule dies down a bit.  I'll probably be in with either a Libyan or Angolan MiG-21MF (1/72) unless I spring for the A-4 GB.

And all this is assuming I get the OV-1B cleared off the bench first.  :doh:

• Like 2

On 16/04/2021 at 19:43, Col. said:

Get a couple of MiG-17 kits and some Alpha Jet decals - problems solved ;) 

Well, you are not wrong :D

51131840293_215195ee25_o.jpg

Got myself an Airfix MiG-17, last summer I built one and it's pure delight to put together. Already acquired some aftermarket - as the first one was straight from the box. Still need to get brass gun barrels & pitot tubes.

Scheme wise, I'm still contemplating between these two:

51131628556_87ab3a7db9_o.jpg

Mozambique. What a nice blue & grey scheme!

51130954252_2615708180_o.jpg

Angola. Desert scheme is always cool and I rarely get to do those.

Hmm, decisions, decisions...

• Like 3

@Corsairfoxfouruncle Well that is looking very tempting - I did find couple photos too (taken from the internet);

51134784714_23a892face_o.jpg

51134784704_f12032a02b_o.jpg

And it all just added to my interest. Definitely a nice opportunity to create sun bleached blue grey MiG-17. Decals mention a different colour to the underside but it looks to be one colour all around.

I'll start my own build thread soon! :) 

• Like 2

Hi Reini @reini, Did you notice that these are both Fresco-As, with the non-afterburning engine? I am attempting this as you can see in my Africa GB build titled "Western Aggresor" ;)

Martin

• Thanks 1