Africa GB chat

Col.

22 hours ago, Wez said:

I thought that this GB was the alternative name for the MiG-17 STGB? :whistle:

So, I'm guessing that building an Airfix Mig-17 in the Somali colors from the DPCasper Ogaden War decals would be a bit meh! I may as well cancel the order for a Eduard Mig-21MF then  ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

So hey. This GB is decidedly short on arnir. So In addition to my Rooikat, I'd like to add an African T-55. Probably Ethiopian or Angolan. 

I have a Tamiya kit i started some time ago. It looks like a lot has been done, i haven't done any of the suspension, turret, or any of the many painting and weathering stages.

Would this fly under the 25% mark?

PXL_20210221_033108252.jpg

Let's call that 25% and say go for it :) 

45 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

So, I'm guessing that building an Airfix Mig-17 in the Somali colors from the DPCasper Ogaden War decals would be a bit meh! I may as well cancel the order for a Eduard Mig-21MF then  ;) :D

Steve.

Order that MiG-21MF and get cracking with the Somali -17 in the meantime. There's plenty room for more MiGs in here :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SoftScience said:

So hey. This GB is decidedly short on arnir. So In addition to my Rooikat, I'd like to add an African T-55. Probably Ethiopian or Angolan. 

If I didn't already have two entries in the Pz. III STGB I would have have entered the same kit, probably with the Ethiopian markings from Star. Be good to see it actually get done.

Andy

I am sorry guys, but I am not participate in this GB. I have lost totally my mojo for modelling for quite a while now. I hope it will come back soon.

Everybody good luck with your build.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Didn't know Trumpeter did the Su-27 in 144th scale. Nice one @Tim R-T-C but with such a small kit are you not tempted to do a few and avoid the agony of choice? :wicked:

I would, but these kits can be hard to find. 😕

Fortunately I have got an Su-27UB and Su-30 boxing of the same which will hopefully be making an appearance in this GB.

I'm also working on a pair of Fullbacks in Syrian intervention colours, also Trumpeter but a much older kit that almost matches my MiG-23 for correction labour required.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

I am sorry guys, but I am not participate in this GB. I have lost totally my mojo for modelling for quite a while now. I hope it will come back soon.

Cheers,

Sorry to hear that, but plastic never expires and we’ll still be here. 

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

Cheers,

Sorry to hear that Arnold. Go easy on yourself, we're living in strange times lately and everyone is a little out of kilter with it, if you need a chat anytime give me a shout :) 

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I would, but these kits can be hard to find. 😕

Fortunately I have got an Su-27UB and Su-30 boxing of the same which will hopefully be making an appearance in this GB.

I'm also working on a pair of Fullbacks in Syrian intervention colours, also Trumpeter but a much older kit that almost matches my MiG-23 for correction labour required.

spacer.png

A quick look around showed you're correct about the rarity of this kit. Although I did see the Dragon and Revell ones are still available I'm not sure of their accuracy or quality in relation to the Trumpeter kit. You're Su-34 pair are looking great B) 

Im a little surprised that theres nothing in the way of modern stuff such as used during "interventions" over/on Libya. Obvious choice being F-111s or F-14s but also later on theres US, RAF, French even Belgian and Norwegian aircraft I believe.

Not even a Hunter in the more Southern markings. Early MiGs seem to have quite a following!

Edited by RMP2

18 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Im a little surprised that theres nothing in the way of modern stuff such as used during "interventions" over/on Libya. Obvious choice being F-111s or F-14s but also later on theres US, RAF, French even Belgian and Norwegian aircraft I believe.

Not even a Hunter in the more Southern markings. Early MiGs seem to have quite a following!

Have to admit I'm surprised there hasn't been anything from Op El Dorado Canyon yet but it's still early days :) 

As for Hunters; there may be a couple imminent once I get a clear space on the workbench ;) 

14 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I hadn't thought that I'd be able to join you with this GB - no eligable item in stash excuse.

Then I realised that this Special Hobby Baltimore contains an option based at Gambut, Libya.

Sp-Hb-Baltimore.jpg

So opening a thread.

Excellent :D 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 13:33, RMP2 said:

I think for me, the early MiGs are more representative of Africa than the F-111 or F-14 missions on Lybia, OK, even though I'm building three Fresco's they represent a great deal of variety in terms of markings and the continent.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Wez said:

I think for me, the early MiGs are more representative of Africa than the F-111 or F-14 missions on Lybia, OK, even though I'm building three Fresco's they represent a great deal of variety in terms of markings and the continent.

I agree completely, Wez. There is ample opportunity in other GBs over time to build something like an LN F-111. To me - my view - this GB presents a rare chance to try something different. It is a missed opportunity if it isn’t taken up.

Martin

• Like 1

Taking into account that this is the only GB this year where you can build a MiG 15/17/19/21 (ok for some 'Less than a tenner' might be an option too) I am actually not that surprised.

By contrast there are four other GBs where a F-111 would be elegible and the F-14 will have a STGB later this year. Same goes for the french jets. Even the Gripen which I am building would be elegible for another GB this year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

I tend to agree, the Frescos are more 'African' than the more expensive types.
Would have been nice to have a home-grown type like the
AHRLAC in service and available as a kit.

I wasnt complaining! :) 

Its all good, just a little surprised as I thought there would be more US/NATO stuff in stashes was all.

As you guys say there will be some weird and wonderful markings and colours for sure. I had no idea the early MiGs were/are so popular, will be good to see stuff and learn about bits that I didnt know of before. :) 

Crack on then! :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Does an F-5 count - used to be in NATO colours ;)

I missed that one. What nation used them? Im only really familiar with the obvious MiGs in African markings, Jaguars aside of course

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

I missed that one. What nation used them? Im only really familiar with the obvious MiGs in African markings, Jaguars aside of course

Botswana had some F-5A/B (although I think they were Canadian CF-5s), Ethiopia had some F-5Es for a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Botswana had some F-5A/B (although I think they were Canadian CF-5s), Ethiopia had some F-5Es for a while.

Tunisia and Morocco operated the F-5E/F , I think Libya operated the F-5A at one point.

• Thanks 1