Africa GB chat

Col.

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

May have just "accidentally" broadened the range of subjects I can build for this one even more, found this ;

http://www.dpcasper.cz/obtisky72030.html

And then promptly ordered one from a certain website that begins with H.

Ooooh. You're going to need a few kits to get full value from that sheet ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah I know, does that count as a good excuse for buying more? I do have a couple of Hinds and a part butchered Mi-17 in the stash already though so I can at least make a start on it.

Any excuse is a good one ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah I know, does that count as a good excuse for buying more? I do have a couple of Hinds and a part butchered Mi-17 in the stash already though so I can at least make a start on it.

That Mali machine looks tasty ;). And anything Senegalese! Of course you could go Rwandan! I remember seeing a few of those at Kigali :).

Martin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

That Mali machine looks tasty ;). And anything Senegalese! Of course you could go Rwandan! I remember seeing a few of those at Kigali :).

Martin

There in lies the problem Martin, there are too many nice options on the sheet!

And before anyone else suggests it I will not be doing "an Enzo" and building them all, even he couldn't get all the options on that sheet done for one GB!

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

...And before anyone else suggests it I will not be doing "an Enzo" and building them all, even he couldn't get all the options on that sheet done for one GB!

Aww :( Spoilsport! :lol:

• Haha 2

Hi Col,

The only thing I have that I might be able to enter is an old KP Mig-17PF - I think I have some appropriate decs, though I will have to check exactly which version anybody actually used as there seems a little confusion. I seem to recall that many years ago I bought a conversion set from Aeroclub so I will have to try and find it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Col,

The only thing I have that I might be able to enter is an old KP Mig-17PF - I think I have some appropriate decs, though I will have to check exactly which version anybody actually used as there seems a little confusion. I seem to recall that many years ago I bought a conversion set from Aeroclub so I will have to try and find it.

Pete

That could be a good option for our private MiG-17 STGB sideline Pete :D 

• Like 1

Hi Col

Please may I play? I’ve not done a GB before on BM but Africa is right up my street. I build 144 things so I hope that won’t be an issue.

I’m keen to do something used by Mad Mike Hoares mercenaries in the Congo in 64. Or I have a SAAF Cheetah somewhere that I should really have a crack at. Or a Sudanese Provost. Basically I have loads of eligible builds. I just need to be a big boy not attempt them all...!

Angus

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ajmm said:

Hi Col

Please may I play? I’ve not done a GB before on BM but Africa is right up my street. I build 144 things so I hope that won’t be an issue.

I’m keen to do something used by Mad Mike Hoares mercenaries in the Congo in 64. Or I have a SAAF Cheetah somewhere that I should really have a crack at. Or a Sudanese Provost. Basically I have loads of eligible builds. I just need to be a big boy not attempt them all...!

Angus

Of course you can Angus :) Any scale is good so no issues there and all your options sound great :thumbsup: but we won't tell Enzo you're not doing all of them ;) 

Very feasible. There’s also a nifty little kit of a Fouga Magister which I could do in Katanganese colours. Too much choice.

Either way, Im a compulsive devourer of audiobooks as I make models (I tried Netflix and models but I just kept glueing fingers together!) so I’ll have to re-play The Dogs of War...

• Haha 1

How about this for a subject - the Golden Hind?

I did a bit of digging and apparently during the circumnavigation she stopped in Mogador (Essaouira) in Morocco, then Santiago Island (Cape Verde Islands, off the West Coast of Africa), before heading to the Americas. On the way back (several years, a few oceans and much pirating later) stopping off at the Western Tip of Africa at what is modern day Sierra Leone.

I got the kit at as birthday present last year - well out of my comfort zone, seems it has a small jig and some thread for you to build rigging from(!!!) and at 1/72 it looks like it will build up pretty big, not sure where I'll put it - OK maybe not as large as the 1:1 replica parked moored in the Thames (well worth a look around if you ever get down the South Bank in London - well if anything ever opens again).

That and/or a T34 tank, they seemed to get everywhere - if I can find some suitable markings / camo scheme, hopefully something gaudy/lairy (I was hoping to do my T34-85 as Stompie in the GB but didn't get around to it).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scargsy said:

How about this for a subject - the Golden Hind?

I did a bit of digging and apparently during the circumnavigation she stopped in Mogador (Essaouira) in Morocco, then Santiago Island (Cape Verde Islands, off the West Coast of Africa), before heading to the Americas. On the way back (several years, a few oceans and much pirating later) stopping off at the Western Tip of Africa at what is modern day Sierra Leone.

I got the kit at as birthday present last year - well out of my comfort zone, seems it has a small jig and some thread for you to build rigging from(!!!) and at 1/72 it looks like it will build up pretty big, not sure where I'll put it - OK maybe not as large as the 1:1 replica parked moored in the Thames (well worth a look around if you ever get down the South Bank in London - well if anything ever opens again).

That and/or a T34 tank, they seemed to get everywhere - if I can find some suitable markings / camo scheme, hopefully something gaudy/lairy (I was hoping to do my T34-85 as Stompie in the GB but didn't get around to it).

As a visitor to African ports the Golden Hind is indeed an eligible subject.

The T-34 is also a great subject for this GB. Used by several African nations from Angola to Zimbabwe (seeing active service during the former's Civil War due to Cuban assistance) and still in service with a couple of countries in the region :) 

• Like 1

I knew my purchase of the Harpia Arab MiGs book set would get my head whizzing! I’m now back on MiG-17s and Nile Valley paint schemes. I’m now thinking Algerian! ;)

Martin

Edit: I’ve taken a few deep breaths, settled my head (for an hour or two)  , and will leave things as they were. I’ll simply add an Algerian MiG-21MF to my 2021 build list for later in the year :)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I knew my purchase of the Harpia Arab MiGs book set would get my head whizzing! I’m now back on MiG-17s and Nile Valley paint schemes. I’m now thinking Algerian! ;)

Martin

Edit: I’ve taken a few deep breaths, settled my head (for an hour or two)  , and will leave things as they were. I’ll simply add an Algerian MiG-21MF to my 2021 build list for later in the year :)

Sounds as if we'll need a year long edition of this GB for everyone to work through their options :D 

• Haha 1

I've got an order on the way from V1 Decals - needed something from them for a project in another upcoming GB but couldn't resist the Boeing 727 in Republic Populaire du Congo decals - so now I've got yet another option. I'm going to be busy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

I've got an order on the way from V1 Decals - needed something from them for a project in another upcoming GB but couldn't resist the Boeing 727 in Republic Populaire du Congo decals - so now I've got yet another option. I'm going to be busy!

Options are good :D 

I'm up for this gb, it'll  be a  hobbyboss or zvezda  mi-8-17 hip  with the casper sheet that @modelling minion put me onto, cheers pal ,  I've  got all sorts of extras for both kits , and the pavla engine conversion for the hobbyboss one ,but only if necessary, 😁 maybe some will remember craigs hip  from a couple of years ago , need to do a bit more swotting up first  though , really looking forward to building this 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hewy said:

I'm up for this gb, it'll  be a  hobbyboss or zvezda  mi-8-17 hip  with the casper sheet that @modelling minion put me onto, cheers pal ,  I've  got all sorts of extras for both kits , and the pavla engine conversion for the hobbyboss one ,but only if necessary, 😁 maybe some will remember craigs hip  from a couple of years ago , need to do a bit more swotting up first  though , really looking forward to building this 

Always happy to help others spend their money. 😁

I wish you would stop reminding me about my Hip nightmare! You're supposed to be a mate!

• Haha 3

Always happy to help others spend their money. 😁

I wish you would stop reminding me about my Hip nightmare! You're supposed to be a mate!

Yes about decals and me spending money  ,Mrs hewy says she wants a word with you ,   

The hip nightmare ?,Oh yes, sorry bud, I'll use yours as a reference for cutting , you cut correctly as per instructions and that was  obviously wrong as we now know, 🙈 dont want to put you on a complete downer, but my pavla engines part doesn't  look as pinched as yours did looking back ,also my resin looks a different color, dark grey, if that makes a difference i dont know, so all I'll  have to do is cut in the right place ,which will be complete guess work , "easy" ahhem,🤔

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Mrs hewy says she wants a word with you

Thank goodness for the lockdown then, should be safe for a while!

38 minutes ago, Hewy said:

my pavla engines part doesn't  look as pinched as yours did

Very pleased to hear that, hopefully you won't have anything like the issues I had with mine.

Thank goodness for the lockdown then, should be safe for a while!

Very pleased to hear that, hopefully you won't have anything like the issues I had with mine.

Ha, we'll see, I've got room on the shame shelf,  after i binned a few over christmas 🤗

• Like 1