Africa GB chat

Col.

On 9/10/2020 at 11:45 PM, Roland Pulfrew said:

OK, why not? I’m in! I have a set of these in the stash somewhere...

Lots of options in there Roland :D 

• Like 1

Just read the list and I'm not on it. This is clearly a gross oversight on my part, so please add me ASAP :) 

As to subject, could be anything from an Ivory Coast Su-25 to an Ethiopian T-55 to a Zulu warrior. I wont Boer you with the details at this stage.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Just read the list and I'm not on it. This is clearly a gross oversight on my part, so please add me ASAP :) 

...As to subject, ...I wont Boer you with the details at this stage.

With a pun of that quality it's a pleasure to have you at the party Andy :lol:

• 2 months later...

I'm very glad (and also a bit surprised) that this GB made it for next year. Have to thank Col. for proposing and pushing it and all who voted for this!

Since this should start in only a few months, better start checking for options... a Katangan Fouga or a Somali MiG? A Tunisian F-5 or a Gabonese Mirage ?

That's the thing I like of GBs like this one, the possibility of finding very exotic and unusal subjects. Not that I don't like GBs with better known subjects, I do and I'll take part in several next year, however I love what I can learn when less known stuff is involved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

A question if I may. Would French subjects be allowed if portraying the disintegration of the colonial era in the 1950’s and 1960’s ? I think this has been discussed and ok’d but looking for clarification. 

Dennis

Oh absolutely yes! Anything operated within the African continent is eligible including equipment fielded by the colonial powers.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Extremely likely that I will be bringing a Mig to this party, though which type and nationality are yet to be decided.

Hopefully the various MiG types operated in the region will prove a popular choice :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

or a Somali MiG?

That's my intention.   Somali and Ethiopian Mig-17s from the Ogaden War. 

I also have plans for a Mirage IIICZ and Cheetah E from the SAAF. 

• Like 1

JBr decals do a nice sheet in 144th of African Fishbeds, all the schemes are illustrated on their website.

http://www.jbr-decals.com/index.php?typ=shop&lang=en&action=product_detail&pr_id=11

Might be some inspiration for people.

I've got this sheet along with 4 MF, 4 bis and two UM models ready to build. Plus some UARAF MiG-15 bis/UTIs too. So I'll definitely be bringing some MiGs to the party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

JBr decals do a nice sheet in 144th of African Fishbeds, all the schemes are illustrated on their website.

http://www.jbr-decals.com/index.php?typ=shop&lang=en&action=product_detail&pr_id=11

I've got this sheet along with 4 MF, 4 bis and two UM models ready to build. Plus some UARAF MiG-15 bis/UTIs too. So I'll definitely be bringing some MiGs to the party.

Sounds more like you're bringing the party!  :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first instinct was WW2 North Africa but I now realise there’s so much more to go at. I’ll be doing an Eritrean Su-27 and a Congolese Alouette III.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I think there will be quite a few, as they come in a wide variety of schemes, and can look very beaten up.

17 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That's my intention.   Somali and Ethiopian Mig-17s from the Ogaden War. 

I also have plans for a Mirage IIICZ and Cheetah E from the SAAF. 

17 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I suspect the various MiG and Mirage types used across the region will be popular choices. Perhaps a few DC-3 as well? Particularly as civilian subjects are welcome too.

13 hours ago, helios16v said:

Sounds more like you're bringing the party!  :coolio:

Bring a party to a party :D

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

My first instinct was WW2 North Africa but I now realise there’s so much more to go at. I’ll be doing an Eritrean Su-27 and a Congolese Alouette III.

Nice pairing. While the WWII campain in North Africa is perfectly eligible there's a vast array of other subjects available :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I have far more choices to make than I could possibly do if the GB lasted all year!

A nice Noratlas from Djibouti keeps prodding at me from the dark recesses of my mind (such as it is).

Ooh that sounds good :) 

• Like 1

• Col. changed the title to Africa GB - A continent of opportunity

I've got far too much to choose from but the current front-runners are a TAAG Angolan Airlines L100-20 Hercules (possibly also a TAAG Il-62), Algerian MiG-29SMT, LAM - Mozambique Airlines Il-62, Su-27/30 (Uganda, Eritrea or Ethiopia), and Angolan government Tu-134. Some of which will require custom-printed decals.

• Like 4