Earliest camo scheme known for the PzKpfw IV H

KRK4m

Either my searching is far from being perfect or there are no such animals at all... I'm looking for the Panzer IV Ausf.H wearing the pre-1944 camo schemes, i.e. either RAL7021 Panzergrau overall or the DAK RAL7027 Grau over RAL8020 Braun. There are other contemporary vehicles (e.g. StuG III G) portrayed in both, while all the PzKpfw IV Hs I've found are painted RAL7028 Dunkelgelb - either plain or with RAL6003 Olivgrun and/or RAL8017 Rotbraun added on. Of course both were also seen in temporary winter RAL9002 Weiss superimposed.   

I know that RAL7028 Dunkelgelb has been introduced as the tank standard overall colour in February-April 1943 and that first Pz IV Ausf.Hs left the factory in May/June 1943. But as there are dozens of Pz VI Tigers known to be manufactured in RAL7021 Panzergrau overall as late as April 1943 and in "Tropen" RAL8020+7027 camouflage even in August 1943 maybe similar delay could also apply to the Pz IV H. Wishful thinking?

So the question is like above: should I search longer or there were no Pz IV Ausf.H tanks sporting either the overall tank grey or the 1943 tropical camouflage at all?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
The Tiger caption added

The only mention I've seen of the Ausf. H having a dark grey finish was by someone interpreting b/w photos of PD.24 in Italy, found in a 2002 posting:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/viewtopic.php?p=204723#p204723

Concerning grey Tigers, there was not too long ago a 10 page discussion based around a proposed article that only 25 of these 'heavies' were factory painted grey:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/only-25-grey-tigers-t318749.html

As for Tropen colours,  investigation into that is still on going.  We know combat vehicles in these schemes did arrive in other theaters besides Africa,  but actual reason for this happening can only be speculated at.   Most obvious guess is that they were originally intended for the desert, but were diverted elsewhere.  The other explanation is the other 'regions' were considered similar climate zone to Africa.  Thing is,  the associated orders for when these colours came out, stipulate that they were only to be used on equipment earmarked for Africa.  There is also no mention of the word 'tropic' in either directive:

http://schwimmwagen.ch/pdf/H.M.1941,Nr.281.pdf

http://schwimmwagen.ch/pdf/H.M.1942,Nr.315.pdf

I have the book Wehrmacht Heer Camouflage Colors 1939-1945 by Tomas Chory, and there is mention of Dunkelgelb shortages within a few months of it being issued, as industry could not keep up with demands.  So a regulation was passed in early May 1943 H.T.V.BI 1943, Nr. 39 - it basically states 'automobiles and vehicles' intended for field units will continue to use Dunkelgelb.  Those of reserve units will only be repainted when the original paint was worn out.  

The above begs the question, if a front line unit is being rebuilt, is it considered a reserve,  and therefore any new equipment it receives would be grey?  This ties in with the earlier mentioned 24 Panzer Div.  It was being rebuilt in France in early 1943, shipped to Italy in August 1943.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Jack, for this detailed entry.

In the meantime I have found several Pz.IV Gs in the RLM8020+7027 "1942 Tropen" camo (at least described as such by some leading decal manufacturers).

As backdating the Ausf.H to Ausf.G configuration is not a great task I will stay with the Ausf.H (mit Schurzen) in the 1943/44 camo and Ausf.F (short-barrel) in Panzergrau, leaving the tropical camo for the Ausf.G. 

Great thanks anyway 👏

Cheers

Michael