1/72 Special Hobby Northrop Delta 1D/E

StephenCJ

Fellow modelers my Work Health and Safety Certificate Course is nearly finished, one more assignment to hand in.  Time to start a new kit and finish the backlog of kits started.

I want to start a new kit because I have missed the smell of glue and the joy of cutting plastic, most of the kits I have started I have forgotten where I am up to.

I would like to build Ellsworth's Antarctic Flight Northrop Delta but can only find 2 pictures of this plane.  There is also VH-ADR I could do or the more colourful  A61-1 of the RAAF.

A61-1 will be my choice (all 3 are the same aircraft), unless I can find more photographs and I will attempt Ellsworth's Delta

Enough Waffle here's some pics of the bits and bobs

box art

DSC0001-1.jpg

parts

DSC0005-1.jpg

DSC0006-1.jpg

DSC0007-1.jpg

DSC0008-1.jpg

DSC0010-1.jpg

and decals

img002.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 7

Yes! a great choice!

When I built mine, many moons ago, I had to use an old vac conversion, that was passed on to me by the late Jim Schubert, combining it with the Williams Bros. kit.

You have now a much better base!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045399-northrop-delta-172-scale-williams-bros-gamma-esoteric-models-conversion/

Exciting build, we are all eyes, Stephen!

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

These photos?

Thanks for posting these, Chris!

Also:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C232748

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Northrop D.1 Delta VH-ADR.htm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Yes! a great choice!

When I built mine, many moons ago, I had to use an old vac conversion, that was passed on to me by the late Jim Schubert, combining it with the Williams Bros. kit.

You have now a much better base!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045399-northrop-delta-172-scale-williams-bros-gamma-esoteric-models-conversion/

Exciting build, we are all eyes, Stephen!

Thanks for posting these, Chris!

Also:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C232748

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Northrop D.1 Delta VH-ADR.htm

About 50 years ago, I acquired a bunch of old National Geographic magazines. It was every issue from early 1922 up to some time in 1956. In about 1984, on a trip back home, I went through them all and picked out every one that had an aircraft in it, even if it was just an advert. After getting them back to Alberta, I went through those and wrote down, by date and issue, all the aircraft in them. 

I can whip downstairs and find any aircraft inside within minutes.

Chris 

• 2 weeks later...

Some 6 years ago I made scratch build of Delta using casted in resin copies of William Bros wings and tailplane as well as u/c.... The base for fuselage was upside down fuselage from Frog/Novo P47 Razorback... :)

Now I have one SH in stash to do Vickers build Delta with another fin and floats

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

On 26/02/2020 at 06:30, StephenCJ said:

find more photographs and I will attempt Ellsworth's Delta

Sounds like a plan to me! 

I got the kit with the floats and skis, and it's described as a Canadian Vickers Delta, so I'd better have a look to check for differences. 

I think I've got some portholes for Windows. 

I'll tag along for this ride.... 👍

Thank you dogsbody for your wonderful pictures of Ellsworth's aircraft.

Thank you Moa for the links, VG 33 for your link and JWM for your link.

But I have had a change of plan, I am going to build the four aircraft, Mr Hardings, Ellsworth's, VH-ADR and A61-1.

I have bought another from Hannants getting 2 more won't be a problem.

Thanks for the interest.

Stephen

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

But I have had a change of plan, I am going to build the four aircraft, Mr Hardings, Ellsworth's, VH-ADR and A61-1.

Now then Stephen, that really DOES sound like a plan.... 😎

You'll be getting the hang of it by the end of no.4‼️

Definitely looks like an epic saga 

Just in case you're not aware of it, there is a kit of the Northrop Gamma that can be done in the Ellsworth's finish. 

It's not current, and a bit harder to find. It's by Williams Bros. Thought you might like to keep an eye out for it, seeing you are in the zone. 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress, finally.

I have received a second Delta from Hannants, it is at the same stage as the first one.  Very little will be seen through these tiny windows.  There will be no toilet as in a Moa build.

There will not be the level of detail he is able to achieve either.

If you look at the sprue shots you will see that there is positions for eight seats but research has show only six seats were fitted to the Aussie aircraft.

Like the new cutting mat?  I don't it soaks up sanding dust and won't let it be washed out.  That's what you get when you are too lazy to go to Spotlight and settle for what Lincraft have.  Spotlight and Lincraft are sort of 

women's hobby shops. 

Pics;

DSC0009-1.jpg

DSC0011.jpg

DSC0012.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Stephen

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally joined the fuselage halves together, added wings and tail etc.  They are both the same now but that will change when I fit the wheel spats.

DSC4745-1.jpg

DSC4747-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Stephen

• Like 5

Time for the wheels and spats.

The picture below is the wheels and spats for VH-ADR, a simple job of drilling a hole in the marked position where the landing wheel leg is molded on the spat.

Not quite, I drilled the holes and found I had to shorten the axle and remove some of the tire for things to fit and the spat to close without a gap.

A61-1 is going to be a lot trickier, but I have a cunning plan 'my Lords'.

DSC4748-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 4

I've got two wheeled and one floater. If/when I build them, one will be # 675. It was used to help RCAF pilots transition from the Siskin to the Hurricane.

38927301665_76bf9b1346_b.jpg

The floaty will be built as # 673. This one was lost on a flight to Sydney, Nova Scotia, in September 1939. The wreckage wasn't found until July 1958, in dense forest, north of Fredericton, New Brunswick.

49818615898_c12f3ea13f_o.jpg

I haven't decided about the other wheeled kit yet.

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing on with this build.

The wheels for A61-1.  The wheel spats were cut down a bit, have a look at the box art below.

DSC0001-1.jpg

As you can see there is a lot more wheel showing.  If you were to use the supplied undercarriage legs you would have only 1mm for attachment.

I think this is not enough and the plastic legs aren't strong enough to hold the model.  Picture below, 4 little undercarriage legs at the bottom of the sprue.

DSC0007-1-crop.jpg

My solution was to cut off the wheel bearings and drill a 0.3mm hole in each and attach 0.3mm rod to them.  Then insert this rod into a 0.5mm tube attached tom the inside of the spat.

Great idea but the plastic is too thick and I ended up sanding a fair bit of material away from the inside of the spat as the final pictures show.

P1010079-1.jpg

P1010073-1.jpg

First attempt, there is not enough room for the wheel to go inside the spat.

P1010074-1.jpg

Sanded spats

P1010075-1.jpg

P1010077-1.jpg

P1010078-1.jpg

VH-ADR ready for some undercoat.

P1010080-1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Stephen

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Continuing on with this build.

The wheels for A61-1.  The wheel spats were cut down a bit, have a look at the box art below.

As you can see there is a lot more wheel showing.  If you were to use the supplied undercarriage legs you would have only 1mm for attachment.

I think this is not enough and the plastic legs aren't strong enough to hold the model.

My solution was to cut off the wheel bearings and drill a 0.3mm hole in each and attach 0.3mm rod to them.  Then insert this rod into a 0.5mm tube attached tom the inside of the spat.

Great idea but the plastic is too thick and I ended up sanding a fair bit of material away from the inside of the spat as the final pictures show.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

As you can see I easily used the original kit parts and they are strong enough to support the finished model.😉

Patrick

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235043682-172-special-hobby-couple-of-northrop-delta-raaf-uscg/

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

As you can see I easily used the original kit parts and they are strong enough to support the finished model.😉

I would have thought they wouldn't support the model, but you are right.

Stephen