Dambuster ED906 AJ/J DJH Maltby ++FINISHED++

Redstaff

After much deliberation I went with the Airfix Biii special AJ/J piloted by David Maltby from 617 squadron. It was the 5th Lancaster to drop it's bomb and the one that caused the breach.

Newer tool Airfix kit with Xtradecal X72093 617 (Dambusters) Squadron 1943-2008 History decals, the rest OOB 

So I guess I'll put my marker down for when we eventually start :) 

Ian

20200206_143424_resized

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Reading through the group builds I have realised that I have been ploughing along and not given any updates 🙄

I've got the fuselage together and the wings on and a dose of matt black underneath as the kit has gone together surprisingly quickly, amazing what you can achieve with no rugby on the TV to distract 😂

I'll post some piccys when I get in this afternoon (promise)  

Ian

Yes, progress pics would be nice to see and I dare say we probably will all get a big of modelling done with virtually every sporting and cultural event now cancelled the world over! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Coming along nicely, no holding you back :)

the upper panel in the rear of the cockpit was normally the camouflage colour rather than black. That said, I heard some of the practice aircraft had the clear Perspex coloured blue to simulate night flying during the day which would be a great feature to build in one day!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

the upper panel in the rear of the cockpit was normally the camouflage colour rather than black

Aah OK, thanks for that

I just assumed it was matt black as I couldn't see any colour call out in the instructions

I'ts a good job I haven't attached the canopy yet :) 

Ian

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

It looks like you had the same issue with a gap over the instrument coaming that I had... it was a tight fit, getting it closed!

Yeah

Funny enough when I dry fitted it was fine, as soon as I'd applied the glue it wouldn't quite close for some reason 🤔

All the rest of the fuselage was fine so I carried on and filled the little gap later

Ian 

11 hours ago, woody37 said:

Coming along nicely, no holding you back :)

the upper panel in the rear of the cockpit was normally the camouflage colour rather than black. That said, I heard some of the practice aircraft had the clear Perspex coloured blue to simulate night flying during the day which would be a great feature to build in one day!

Can't put my hands on the Brickhill book - I will have to dig it out, but I seem to recall they had blue screens fitted and wore orange goggles (or possibly the other way round) to simulate night conditions.

Pete

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I can call this finished now, just a quick pic then I'll take some more and load them in the gallery when I get chance :) 

Ian

20200406_125836_resized

• Like 14

• Redstaff changed the title to Dambuster ED906 AJ/J DJH Maltby ++FINISHED++
27 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

A cracking build, I am only sorry that I have missed your progress.

Thanks. TBH I got that engrossed in building it I kept forgetting to take pictures, so there wasn't much progress to miss 

Ian :) 

• Haha 1